My 'First' 500R Build

Victorious Secret

I say 'first', because this PC has been so neglected and so haphazardly upgraded with random parts so you might be compelled to think "This guy is a tiny bit crazy".

I'd feel bad for spending so much on random things, except god bless sales and free stuff from work to at least give me some excuse for not having a more cohesive build. 

But having said all that, I'll be slowly getting the parts I really need in the next few weeks/months. I intend on gaming, and photoshopping, but the editing will be secondary so I figure I don't need a full on workstation. 

Currently I have:

Corsair 500R case. I did a tossup between this and the C70, just because both looked cool to me. In the end I went 500R, because thats what Amazon had in stock at the time. 

i5-4440. Would like to go 4670K but ATM the processor is not a limiting factor for the system.

Corsair H60. Didn't know a thing about watercoolers and thus grabbed what my cousin was no longer using. It works, so theres that.

Seagate 1TB and a older Samsung 1TB, I'll be using the Crucial M500 from my laptop in the desktop so thats not something more I need to buy. 

ASUS Z87 Sabertooth. I just got this a month ago after much browsing and picking at random. The price at the time made it worth it. 8GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws. This I'm unsure if I want to upgrade to 16GB, just given the costs and the diminished returns for gaming, I really don't do enough editing to see a need for 16GB at this point either.

Two GTX 660s. I only bought one originally, it seemed like good enough. During a recent promo shift, a Future Shop was dumping their old stock for cheap, so I grabbed another one without thinking. My powersupply is only a GS600, so I didn't even consider if I could run it without breaking something. But the thing works great. 

Under load in BF4, 1080p @ 60fps (thats around the lowest it goes) the cards run great, it doesn't crash out. The loudest part of the system is the PSU fan itself, and I know I should upgrade to 750 watts just to be comfortable going forward. 

Oh, and fans. So many fans. I've managed to collect way too many fans. Noctua and Corsair ones, and for the shots below I shoved in as many fans as I possible could just for the lulz. I don't usually run the 1 on the bottom and 2 on the harddrive cages, that seems like excessive overkill. 

But there you go. My rather all over the place beginning point. I think the first thing I'll do is a new PSU, followed by a single GTX 770 and maybe a 4670K? But for now this haphazardly assembled system does what I need it do and then some, so the upgrading will happen slowly. Enjoy the awesomesauce photos. 

bNu5khbh.jpg

KGQP1dWh.jpg

oON2ZZ3h.jpg

kCwu5Zjh.jpg

UkOSA9Hh.jpg

BkqBU7Fh.jpg

Aywzi3Xh.jpg

9yhruSzh.jpg

fJX1Zpdh.jpg

SFzmJASh.jpg

love to see a fellow member of the DSLR master race.

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

Dem pictures doe...

Great build and great pictures, I have this case too, love it, but what I hate about it, well, what I hated, was the front panel cables going where they go, that's why I did cut a piece of the case to hide these cables, probably the best thing I made so far to improve the case.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

love to see a fellow member of the DSLR master race.

I have a sworn duty to deliver as much bokeh as humanely possible :D 

Dem pictures doe...

Great build and great pictures, I have this case too, love it, but what I hate about it, well, what I hated, was the front panel cables going where they go, that's why I did cut a piece of the case to hide these cables, probably the best thing I made so far to improve the case.

Same issues as you, but thats saying something about the rest of the case I guess if thats the worst thing I can come up with. 

I love the build but could Noctua please change the color of their fans. I have a DSLR just not very good with it. My pics are still ameturish, if that's even a word.

Intel 4670k, MSI Z97 Krait Edition, 2 x 4 Gbs G-Skill Trident X 2400 Mhz, CPU full W/C loop, Sapphire R9 290-flash to a 290x, Samsung 840Pro 128 Gb SSD, Seagate 1 Tb Hdd, Seasonic SS660x2 Platinum PSU, NZXT 2m white sleeved LED strip. 9 Fans all Corsair SP or AF except 1 80mm high speed for NB/VRM cooling. Corsair 750 full tower case.

Wouldn't hurt if they offered up different colours, or at least a black and white look. 

Fellow 500R user, top tips right here: 

#1: window. It looks so much better with it, and the cooling won't be affected at all. 

2014-03-30%2000.09.38.jpg?_subject_uid=1

#2: Get the HDD cages out, they just restrict airflow and it looks way worse with them in place, especially if you don't use them. 2014-03-30%2000.10.25.jpg?_subject_uid=1

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Fellow 500R user, top tips right here: 

#1: window. It looks so much better with it, and the cooling won't be affected at all. 

2014-03-30%2000.09.38.jpg?_subject_uid=1

#2: Get the HDD cages out, they just restrict airflow and it looks way worse with them in place, especially if you don't use them. 2014-03-30%2000.10.25.jpg?_subject_uid=1

I really, really want to go for the side panel mod.

I pass a home depot a dozen times a week...I just need to not be lazy and go get everything

I really, really want to go for the side panel mod.

I pass a home depot a dozen times a week...I just need to not be lazy and go get everything

Do eeeeet!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Do eeeeet!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-36-in-x-30-in-x-093-in-Acrylic-Sheet-MC-06/202038044 and I shall head over to get a dremel as well. 

And so it begins, I cashed in a large chunk of Amazon credit for a AX860 this morning. Entirely unsure about the GPUs, but the 660s are going fine and it wouldn't hurt to wait for whatever the 800s are like. 

I rock a single 660 just fine, if you wanna sell them, PM me.

• 3 weeks later...

I made some attempts at finishing it off before I hand it all off to my brother. Remember, LEDs are best. Right? RIGHT?!

Window would look great! I too am located in the Edmonton Area  :)

I got my sheet of Polycarbonate today but I failed to account for the thickness and so none of my blades were really doing it. Going to be either grab a bigger one from my neighbors or just saw the thing. 

I also need a dremel. I didn't realize the mesh mounting areas on the 500R protrude into the open space, so I gotta clean that part up somehow. But I'll get that done soon enough.

1ijsWpn.jpg

q2UkZN5.jpg

sHOPEOf.jpg

Requisite pile of fans shot, as I seem to be on my way to accumulating a butt ton of them

A5W3o13.jpg