Switchable fan profiles

nelejanbbi

Hello, everybody!

I'm new to the PC world (to this forum too), and built my first one a couple weeks ago, it has been really awesome! I work as a music teacher, but I also record a lot, so my build had to be super quiet, and it really is [MISSION ACCOMPLISHED]. However, I was wondering if you could help me out; the only way I've been able to get my computer to a recording-level of quiet, is with the case fans turned off (I set them in my BIOS to off up to 50°-60° celsius on the CPU), but I don't think it is a good option to keep them off all the time, is there any way to have a couple of custom fan profiles and switch between them in Windows depending on what I'm doing? I haven't found any fan control software that gives me that option, so your help would be much appreciated!

If this is important information: My CPU is a Ryzen 5 5600X with a Noctua NH-U14S cooler, the maximum temperature I've recorded is of around 70°C. My GPU is a GTX 1050 Ti, but I do plan on upgrading once prices become more sensible (maybe to a 3060ti or 3070). My case is a be quiet! Pure base 500DX, with four 140mm Pure wings 2 fans (two on the front as intake, one on the back and one on top as outtake). Here are some pics:

backpcpic.thumb.jpeg.36ce91d5c2c0bcbfc51c9b261f20b06f.jpeg

frontpcpic.thumb.jpeg.1b689f9346d66dc38eac97fe5912b462.jpeg

fullpcpic.thumb.jpeg.c15ea36a1b9806eb0b7307dff3b759c5.jpeg

Thank you beforehand! And greetings, hope you are having a lovely day.

There is no software (that im aware of) that does what you want. Turning fans off is not a problem, especially if they are PWM fans.

Your chassis is optimised for airflow, so you are bound to get fan noise unless they are completely turned off.

If I were you I'd sell the chassis, and buy either a Silent Base 600 or a Define 7. Both are equipped with a bunch of sound proofing which should filter out fan noise. Then set up a fan curve In the BIOS or via Software and you should be good to go. Alternatively you can look into getting a completely passive system.

Noctua is apparently coming out with a passive cooler soon and MSI makes a passive version of the 1050ti.

Try running low fan speeds instead. 

I'd recommend raising rpm for one fan at a time and as high as possible without it being too noisy. You can repeat for the rest of the fans and leave that as the minimum rpm. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you for your responses and support!

19 hours ago, III-Argon-III said:

If I were you I'd sell the chassis, and buy either a Silent Base 600 or a Define 7. Both are equipped with a bunch of sound proofing which should filter out fan noise. Then set up a fan curve In the BIOS or via Software and you should be good to go. Alternatively you can look into getting a completely passive system.

I'll give give those chassis a check, and maybe upgrade in the long term, for now I can't find them where I live (not in the US). But they really seem like good options, thank you so much!

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Try running low fan speeds instead. 

I'd recommend raising rpm for one fan at a time and as high as possible without it being too noisy. You can repeat for the rest of the fans and leave that as the minimum rpm. 

I tried that with my BIOS settings, but the lowest speed that it allows me isn't enough for recording, especially with more sensible mics.

I wanted to share that, today I found software that lets me do what I wanted: switch between different fan profiles without the need to go in the BIOS. The name is Argus Monitor, and I think it's neat, just what I was looking for!

Do you mind if I ask for a little more help? Are these profiles good or should I change them in any way?

Profile 1 "normal circumstances":

profile1.thumb.png.3c958de588f7f94f2fd4e12ca704cc7a.png

Profile 2 "recording":

profile2.thumb.png.89c638f2f702c24db624fa2c6b3c8699.png

I'm yet to check if I can record with the fans set to lower than in the BIOS, I might try that later today.

Thank you again, so much, for your help! I appreciate that...

8 hours ago, nelejanbbi said:

I tried that with my BIOS settings, but the lowest speed that it allows me isn't enough for recording, especially with more sensible mics.

The noise is probably from the 2400rpm motherboard fan as opposed to the 650rpm case fans. Have you tried lowering the motherboard fan rpm?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The noise is probably from the 2400rpm motherboard fan as opposed to the 650rpm case fans. Have you tried lowering the motherboard fan rpm?

Oh, geez, you're right, it actually makes some noise. Is there any danger in lowering it's speed?

I'm trying with lower speeds today, rather than turning them completely off. It definitely lets me go lower than in BIOS, at 26% (moreless) it's quiet enough for most recordings, i reckon. It has gotten to the point where my power conditioner is louder than my PC :DD I do record for a few hours, sometimes, yesterday my CPU got over 60°C on a small project. Would this profile be enough for keeping it lower?

profile3.thumb.png.956472b8438d33daec755479979852aa.png

Thank you, and good morning!

8 hours ago, nelejanbbi said:

Oh, geez, you're right, it actually makes some noise. Is there any danger in lowering it's speed?

I'm trying with lower speeds today, rather than turning them completely off. It definitely lets me go lower than in BIOS, at 26% (moreless) it's quiet enough for most recordings, i reckon. It has gotten to the point where my power conditioner is louder than my PC :DD I do record for a few hours, sometimes, yesterday my CPU got over 60°C on a small project. Would this profile be enough for keeping it lower?

What fan curve can you set for the fan in the bios? Are you able to use the same sensor for fan speeds in Argus Monitor?

As long as the curve still goes up to 100% rpm near the end around the same temperature, temps should be fine.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What fan curve can you set for the fan in the bios? Are you able to use the same sensor for fan speeds in Argus Monitor?

As long as the curve still goes up to 100% rpm near the end around the same temperature, temps should be fine.

The BIOS lets me customize the curve quite a bit. In PWM it can go to 20%, and in DC mode, it can turn off or go to 60% minimum. I set them at DC in BIOS, and it lets me go down to about 18% in Argus (below that the fans just stop spinning), but even at around 30% in Argus they are quieter than PWM at 20%, don't know why this is.

Okay, then this should be OK, it reaches 100% at 75-80% in the default curves in BIOS. Thank you!