Help--thinking about upgrading my current pc

Budget (including currency): Unknown

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Major gaming/web browsing/etc 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Now that I am retired (2018) I am looking at upgrading/streamlining my current pc rather than buying/building a new one but I need help since I have not looked at a parts/building since 2018.  Below are the specs on my current pc:

Intel 17 7820X processor

ASRock X299 Extreme 4 motherboard

Corsair H100i liquid cooler

Evga Supernova 1000w power supply

Samsung SSD EVO 850 250 Gb OS drive

(2) WD Black 750 Gb 7800 rpm SATA hard drives

(2) MSI GeForce GTX 1080 in SLI

32 Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Sound Blaster Z SBX sound card

Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-ray Optical Drive

Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD Optical Drive  

Rosewell Thor V2 Full Tower

Windows 10

Being retired, funds are limited.  One of the things I am interested in is replacing the two WD Black hard drives with a 1 Tb M.2 (nvme).  Any help please.

Thanks

1 hour ago, DC Demonslayer said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Major gaming/web browsing/etc 

What is "major gaming"? What would you like to be improved? Your current build is pretty high end. What are you looking at upgrading that would be better but not cost a lot?

1 hour ago, DC Demonslayer said:

One of the things I am interested in is replacing the two WD Black hard drives with a 1 Tb M.2 (nvme). 

Is there a specific purpose for this upgrade? 

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"People will never truly understand something until it happens to them."

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

Replace the WD drives with a m.2 for one--get rid of the slower mechanical hard drive and have faster access to the secondary drives, maybe a faster processor on the 2066 line (I7 vs I9), and so on.  Games currently playing are the MCC collection, Diablo 3, UT 2004, Doom series, etc. I did not expect anyone to say my build was "pretty high end"--thank you for that.

A NVME drive will significantly reduce your loading times in games if that's what you're going for.

Unless you have a reason for the workstation features of the CPU, I would sell the CPU, motherboard, memory, and maybe one of the 1080's. Use that money to upgrade to a 3rd generation 5000 series AMD CPU like Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700. Upgrading to a i9, if you can find one, won't provide much benefit in gaming if at all. It's a workstation class CPU, you're only going to get more cores.

Read before asking for help  |  How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation  |  Don't ask to ask, just ask  |  The XY Problem  | Don't just say "Hello" in chat  |  How do I ask a good question?

If my post helped, please give a 'reaction' using the heart 🤍 in the bottom right. 

Make sure to quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that people understand the solution."

"Give people permission to make mistakes and the obligation to learn from them."

“The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The willingness to learn is a choice.” - Brian Herbert

"I usually give people more chances than they deserve but once I'm done, I'm done."

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X  |  Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Gaming X  |  RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600MHz  |  GPU ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC |  Case BitFenix Ghost  |  Storage HP EX920 1TB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, WD Black 8TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  PSU Seasonic Prime GX-750  |  Displays Lenovo ThinkVision P27q-20, Dell UP2716D  |  Cooling Noctua NH-D15  |  Operating System Windows 10 Home

Your build is pretty high-end.

Anyways I'd do this (by order):

1. Check how much 1080's are going for in your country's used market.

2. Attempt to find a RTX2080 Series or RTX3070 / 3080 / 3090 for about the price of two of them.

3. Buy that card

4. Sell the 1080's

5. Sell your Mobo, RAM, CPU and buy a Ryzen 9 3900/3950X instead and DDR4-3600 memory + A X470/570 Mobo to your liking

1 hour ago, Universes said:

3rd generation 5000 series AMD CPU like Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700.

3rd Gen means 3000 Series. 5th Gen means 5000 Series. You said it was 3rd gen 5000 Series and offered him 3rd gen 3000 Series. Please don't confuse him.

Also: Zen 3 = 5th Gen 5000 Series not 3rd.

5 hours ago, DC Demonslayer said:

Budget (including currency): Unknown

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Now that I am retired (2018) I am looking at upgrading/streamlining my current pc rather than buying/building a new one but I need help since I have not looked at a parts/building since 2018.  Below are the specs on my current pc:

Intel 17 7820X processor

ASRock X299 Extreme 4 motherboard

Corsair H100i liquid cooler

Evga Supernova 1000w power supply

Samsung SSD EVO 850 250 Gb OS drive

(2) WD Black 750 Gb 7800 rpm SATA hard drives

(2) MSI GeForce GTX 1080 in SLI

32 Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Sound Blaster Z SBX sound card

Asus BC-12B1ST Blu-ray Optical Drive

Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD Optical Drive  

Rosewell Thor V2 Full Tower

Windows 10

Being retired, funds are limited.  One of the things I am interested in is replacing the two WD Black hard drives with a 1 Tb M.2 (nvme).  Any help please.

Thanks

The CPU already very high end, the GPU SLI cost your performance than helping

try to disable SLI

and u might want to have NVME SSD for game/program, x299 platform should've have tons of PCIE Lanes for that right?

1 hour ago, SnowTech said:

3rd Gen means 3000 Series. 5th Gen means 5000 Series. You said it was 3rd gen 5000 Series and offered him 3rd gen 3000 Series. Please don't confuse him.

Also: Zen 3 = 5th Gen 5000 Series not 3rd.

Sorry, Zen 3 is what I meant. Blame their naming conventions. 

Anyways, either 3000 or 5000 series AMD CPUs will be good.

F@H Contribution

BOINC Contribution

HeatWare

Thank all of you for your help.  You have given me some ideas.

21 hours ago, Universes said:

Sorry, Zen 3 is what I meant. Blame their naming conventions. 

Anyways, either 3000 or 5000 series AMD CPUs will be good.

Yeah. I agree that AMD naming conventions are Mumm dumb to say the least