Noctua NH-D15 Concerns

AppleUK

Hello, thank you for reading my post.

• I'm in the process of upgrading my computer from an i5 7500 to i9 10850K as well as upgrading my motherboard.
  • For the cooling I was planning to go with NH-D15, as I've read it is one of the best air coolers on the market.
  • However, I don't know if my case (mid tower) will be an issue.
  • My case has a max CPU height of 161mm.
  • The NH-D15 Height (without fan) is 160 mm whilst the Height (with fan) is 165 mm
  • Does this mean I have to remove all 2 Fans from the cooler or is it just the outer fan?
  • I set my fans to max RPM (Sound no issue) and currently have removed my side panel for extra ventillation which I am happy to continue doing.

Will removing fans significantly impact performance (temps etc)?

Thank you:)

My Case: https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Fierce-PC-Aurora-Black-Case-with-RGB-Colour-Front_65276.html

Cooler: https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/specification

4 minutes ago, AppleUK said:

Will removing fans significantly impact performance (temps etc)?

With how heatsinks work, they need airflow to take away the heat that the heatpipe conducts to the fins. So obviously it will cause a lot of problem as you practically take them all away, especially in that choker of a case. A sketchy way i got in mind considering that looks like an acrylic side panel, is to cut a hole right on it so the cooler can past through, but thats already going to a sketchy territory i would never wanna go to.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 minute ago, SorryClaire said:

With how heatsinks work, they need airflow to take away the heat that the heatpipe conducts to the fins. So obviously it will cause a lot of problem as you practically take them all away, especially in that choker of a case. A sketchy way i got in mind considering that looks like an acrylic side panel, is to cut a hole right on it so the cooler can past through, but thats already going to a sketchy territory i would never wanna go to.

Thank you for your reply, right I may just by a cheap Full/Big Tower case then, I assume all Full Tower Cases will have no issues with clearance?

Just now, AppleUK said:

Thank you for your reply, right I may just by a cheap Full/Big Tower case then, I assume all Full Tower Cases will have no issues with clearance?

Can never be so sure, see whats the maximum cooler height regardless of what case size youre getting.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

3 minutes ago, AppleUK said:

You might want to consider the NH-D14, the slightly shorter (160mm) predecessor to the NH-D15. It performs pretty close to the d15.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/46tCmG/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14

4 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

You might want to consider the NH-D14, the slightly shorter (160mm) predecessor to the NH-D15. It performs pretty close to the d15.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/46tCmG/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd14

Was just looking at that now! 1mm smaller than my cases PC Cooler height, so should fit!

I suppose keeping my side panel open is further helping to increase air flow, so should compensate for any performance reduction?

Don't know whether its worth by a cheap Full Tower, I'm thinking it will be more worthwhile to get the NHD14 and then save up for a nicer larger case

Thank you for your suggestion!

6 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Can never be so sure, see whats the maximum cooler height regardless of what case size youre getting.

Okay will be sure to check Case heights now! Many thanks

1 minute ago, AppleUK said:

Was just looking at that now! 1mm smaller than my cases PC Cooler height, so should fit!

I suppose keeping my side panel open is further helping to increase air flow, so should compensate for any performance reduction?

Thank you for your suggestion!

There is no reason to have your side panel open, as you won't hit a thermal limit with either of the coolers, so performance won't increase. Unless you are overclocking keeping the panel closed makes sense.

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

There is no reason to have your side panel open, as you won't hit a thermal limit with either of the coolers, so performance won't increase. Unless you are overclocking keeping the panel closed makes sense.

Oh right, not really looking to overclock

If I choose the 10850K (which atm is the better deal) then I will likely only overclock it so it matches the frequency of the 10900K

If I get the 10900K I'll just leave it at stock

You have helped alot! In your opinion, do you think spending £100 ($150) on a cheap full tower case purely to get a NH-D15 is worth it, or would you just use the NH-D14 with my current case.

The NH-D 15s center fan sits at the same height as the cooler. So if the cooler fits, one fan fits.

I am using that configuration with the i9 9900k I have listed below.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

2 minutes ago, jones177 said:

The NH-D 15s center fan sits at the same height as the cooler. So if the cooler fits, one fan fits.

That's right. I completely forgot the D-15s. You should probably go with that over the D14. And I would not worry about getting a new case.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

1 minute ago, jones177 said:

So to clarify I think what your saying is that the NH-D15 will only fit in my case with the middle fan, not the outer fan. Looking at the diagrams on Noctua's website it is the outer fan that would be the problem. So I am assuming I can easily remove that fan and then install the D-15?

Thank you:)

6 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

That's right. I completely forgot the D-15s. You should probably go with that over the D14. And I would not worry about getting a new case.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

Oh I was getting confused between the NH-D15 and NH-D15S

Right so the NH-D15 has 2 fans, which cannot fit into my case

But the NH-D15S has a single fan which can fit my case (Height (with fan) 160 mm) ... so 1mm to spare!

I think I have found the answer to my troubles! Thank you @jones177 and @curiousmind34