Upgrade old pc

Ran42

Budget (including currency): 400$ +

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite, Minecraft

Other details: My little cousin just had his 15 birthday, and he asked me to help him upgrade a old pc they have in their house so he could play minecraft and fortnite with his friedns, he got 150 dollars on his birthday and his father said he will supplement for the total amount (not fixed but i would say about 300 dollars), if more money will be needed I can add too.

I want to use his current pc parts as base and replace any if needed + buy gpu and maybe ssd.

And upgrade his 32 bit windows 7 to 64 bit windows 10.

current pc parts:

- Mainboard - Intel DH61HO

- CPU - Intel Core i3 3220

- Memory - DDR3 4GB single channel (DRAM frequency 665.6mhz)

- Hard drive - 500 GB (wdc wd5000aakx-00erma0 ata device)

- GPU - none

about the 64 bit windows 10 upgrade - Im not sure but i think the mainborad cpu and memory should support 64 bit but please correct me if Im worng.

about playing games - fortnite requirements: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/fortnite/15349

so a gpu will be required

I mean the issue here is that the system as it is now is pretty much useless and for 400$ you can not right now build or buy a system that can game. So pretty much get your cousin an xbox as the current pc is simply put not good enough and the upgrades needed to get it to not play fortnite terribly would put you far over budget with the gpu alone.

22 minutes ago, Ran42 said:

Core i3 3220

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/65693/intel-core-i3-3220-processor-3m-cache-3-30-ghz.html

That's a pretty modest CPU, being only 2 cores (and 4 threads)

23 minutes ago, Ran42 said:

Intel DH61HO

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/66983/intel-desktop-board-dh61ho.html

Again, a very modest board that only has 2 RAM slots, so dual channel will be all you can get (though you could put 2x8GB sticks in to max out the RAM)

More RAM and a Solid State Hard Drive will help, but putting a GPU on that, especially in this time of scarcity and scalping, isn't really a wise investment, given the age of the system.

Your GPU is going to be the biggest issue

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

32 minutes ago, Ran42 said:

Budget (including currency): 400$ +

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite, Minecraft

Other details: My little cousin just had his 15 birthday, and he asked me to help him upgrade a old pc they have in their house so he could play minecraft and fortnite with his friedns, he got 150 dollars on his birthday and his father said he will supplement for the total amount (not fixed but i would say about 300 dollars), if more money will be needed I can add too.

I want to use his current pc parts as base and replace any if needed + buy gpu and maybe ssd.

And upgrade his 32 bit windows 7 to 64 bit windows 10.

current pc parts:

- Mainboard - Intel DH61HO

- CPU - Intel Core i3 3220

- Memory - DDR3 4GB single channel (DRAM frequency 665.6mhz)

- Hard drive - 500 GB (wdc wd5000aakx-00erma0 ata device)

- GPU - none

about the 64 bit windows 10 upgrade - Im not sure but i think the mainborad cpu and memory should support 64 bit but please correct me if Im worng.

about playing games - fortnite requirements: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/fortnite/15349

so a gpu will be required

since the GPU price is ... very spectacular atm, I suggest you get an Xbox Series S

it has power to play Fornite, and the price should be 299$, also you don't need to worry about subscription since Microsoft no longer required Subscription for Free 2 Play Game for their Multiplayer,

For minecraft unfortunately that would be rough, since the one on Xbox are bedrock version

Unless you want to spend 1000$ we can't really help you, GPU shortage make everything very bad atm it very bad time to build new computer 

Thank you all for your replies.
So i understand the hardware is too old and a gpu wont work, so upgrading is a bad decision.
I will ask him about Xbox thank for helping.