Strange KVM Switch Requirements

willbert6100

OK so this may be totally impossible, but I am looking for a solution to a problem I have and a KVM seems to be the best solution.  First let me describe my desired setup.

Two "monitor stations"
1. Desktop Gaming setup: 3440x1440 100Hz Ultrawide Monitor, mechanical wired keyboard and wired mouse.

2. Home theater setup: 4K TV at 60Hz, wireless keyboard and mouse.

Multiple PCs

1. Gaming PC

2. Linux PC

3. Work/Personal Laptop using USB type C adapter

The idea is to be able to sit down at my desktop gaming setup to do any gaming that works better on an ultrawide with mechanical keyboard etc.  If need be, switch over to my Linux PC to do anything that needs to be done there.  Switch over to my work laptop to do any work that needs to get done etc.  Then at the end of the day jump on the couch to do a little comfy gaming with a controller or something.  

Like I said I have never seen anything that works this way so it may not be possible.  I'm not doing a dual boot system for my Linux/Gaming system so that I can run both at the same time if need be, and I'm not doing a VM on the Linux PC since a lot of games cry about being on a VM and I'm not confident enough to recompile the Linux kernal to make it work with, let's say, Rainbow 6 Siege.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

With a KVM, all you need is one keyboard and mouse, which then work through the KVM to control everything else.

Wired KVMs exist all over the place.

Wireless, well that's a tad more difficult and get very expensive

https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/wireless-kvm.html

How far away are your systems from each other?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I use a Trendnet TK-207K to switch between my main PC and my server.

- The KVM switches only the keyboard/mouse

- I use the monitor's input selector to switch between HDMI and DVI

Keep in mind that the model of my KVM is powered through the USB/VGA adapter cables provided. The VGA connector provides consistent power to the switch while jumping between the PCs. I have tried to use the USB only but I found that switching back from one to the other causes the keyboard/mouse to stop responding, requiring a hard boot of the affected PC.

Your situation is slightly different as you want to switch between 3 PCs and two monitors. You might want to consider a 4-port switch (Trendnet TK-409K?)

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Trendnet employee, I just find these to be consistent after testing many different models.

15 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

With a KVM, all you need is one keyboard and mouse, which then work through the KVM to control everything else.

Wired KVMs exist all over the place.

Wireless, well that's a tad more difficult and get very expensive

https://www.kvm-switches-online.com/wireless-kvm.html

How far away are your systems from each other?

So I'm fine running wired KVM's, I was just planning on using two full setups one with wired mouse and keyboard and one with wireless mouse and keyboard.  I think my original post was a little unclear.

4 hours ago, Techiefreak said:

I use a Trendnet TK-207K to switch between my main PC and my server.

- The KVM switches only the keyboard/mouse

- I use the monitor's input selector to switch between HDMI and DVI

Keep in mind that the model of my KVM is powered through the USB/VGA adapter cables provided. The VGA connector provides consistent power to the switch while jumping between the PCs. I have tried to use the USB only but I found that switching back from one to the other causes the keyboard/mouse to stop responding, requiring a hard boot of the affected PC.

Your situation is slightly different as you want to switch between 3 PCs and two monitors. You might want to consider a 4-port switch (Trendnet TK-409K?)

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT a Trendnet employee, I just find these to be consistent after testing many different models.

That might work, I'll have to see if Windows complains about having different resolution/aspect ratio monitors hooked up at the same time.