3D modeling workstation selection

Ma.algendy

Budget (including currency): 4000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3dsmax, Maya, Houdini 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello 

I'm planning on getting a new workstation to use it for 3d modeling and small rendering as I have a render farm attached. Now I have three choices :

1-Hp Z4 G4 with Xeon-W2245 

2-Hp Z4 G4 with Core i9 10920x 

3-Dell T7810 with dual E5-2695 v4

I'm a little bit confused, is dual old with many cores processor is a best choice or one high end processor with a lower number of cores. 

As far as I know. Processors with high cpu speed will give a great boost in opening apps and 3d modeling but high number of cores will affect cpu rendering as well. 

I hope you can share some experience that can help. 

Regards 

Mahmoud 

2 minutes ago, Ma.algendy said:

I'm a little bit confused, is dual old with many cores processor is a best choice or one high end processor with a lower number of cores.

This is going to depend on the applications you plan on running, for example. SOme thrive on multi-core CPUs, others won't scale past 4 cores, and want speed.

For the record I have a T7810 and I love it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I think this ultimately comes down to are you going to spend more time modelling or are you going to spend more time rendering. If you're doing primarily modelling then the speed of the individual cores will be more important than raw core count since the 3D workflow cannot be as multithreaded as the rendering it self. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Thank you all for the responses. 

It will be used mainly for modeling as I have a render farm attached. So, I can see the speed is the choice and a higher cpu speed is what I need.

I have a T7910 in the environment but the designer are complaining of very low performance while modeling as the processors only run at 2.2 GHz. Which makes me thinking of the high speed cpu. 

The second part is :

The core i9 is higher speed and much easier in upgrade than the Xeon 2245 but it lacks the ECC memory. If I ignore that point and go with the core i9, does this make a difference in the workflow? 

28 minutes ago, Ma.algendy said:

Budget (including currency): 4000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3dsmax, Maya, Houdini 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello 

I'm planning on getting a new workstation to use it for 3d modeling and small rendering as I have a render farm attached. Now I have three choices :

1-Hp Z4 G4 with Xeon-W2245 

2-Hp Z4 G4 with Core i9 10920x 

3-Dell T7810 with dual E5-2695 v4

As far as I know. Processors with high cpu speed will give a great boost in opening apps and 3d modeling but high number of cores will affect cpu rendering as well. 

I hope you can share some experience that can help. 

Regards 

Mahmoud 

Hey, 
I work with 3D a lot, always found that AMD machines where the best fit for me, I needed to jump from 3Dmax to Photoshop as well as rendering out layers during editing tasks (pretty much multi tasking machine)
I always found these are the best due to there amount of cores and threads.
My view Dells are just over priced for what your getting, but I guess Reliable in a way, if you get the extra cover.
I would defiantly look into AMD Ryzen 9 3950X and threadripper and see if you can find one with your budget.