The next one will be 128GB!!

I'm talking about RAM, nowadays 8GB of RAM are the minimum a pc/laptop must have to run smoothly in an home/office setting, many smartphones already sell with 8GB and some even 16GB RAM!! The last laptop I bought (8GB RAM, i7) is old but still good enough for the stuff I need to do even though with a couple of browser running, dozens of tabs open, virtual machines running and other software, when run alltogether you can feel it would benefit of a little help and that's why I'm thinking about the next laptop specs.

I don't know if it is an exageration but 128GB of RAM together with a newest generation cpu are tempting me very much, are there any negative sides in buying such a powerful machine? Is the OS (Win 10) and software (no games) able to use them? They seem so much that the least I'd expect is for the system to never encounter slow-downs, active fans or heating and run extremely fast. Will such specs be beneficial or will I just make a Chandler like impression? (for those who want to have a laugh, the memorable scenehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGb7sC4mpk0 )

ps. what amount of ram do your devices have? (phone and pc/laptop)

unless you run out of capacity and is hitting pagefile, adding more rarely helps, if ever

of course adding more sticks adds channel and ranks, which may boost (or drop) performance, but if it's capacity only, then no difference

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

12 minutes ago, ratiw said:

what amount of ram do your devices have?

image.png.b20cf9a8c3d86ca0f2be14571c6f9690.png

You can buy laptops right now with 128GB RAM but we are still many many years away from that amount becoming mainstream. If you really think you are going to be using that much then go for it.

On a desktop when you fill all the RAM slots it usually means you have to run at slightly slower speeds for stability. But for the people who need lots of RAM that drawback is far outweighed by the benefit.

30 minutes ago, ratiw said:

what amount of ram do your devices have?

Main PC:

Spoiler

image.png.164ee7df12d03150cad65b1ac4d81857.png

Mac Mini 2011:

Spoiler

1233247666_ScreenShot2021-04-17at2_56_21PM.png.89be679bb6e725a4c18d71c8d610bdbd.png2100483925_ScreenShot2021-04-17at2_59_36PM.png.81708de4737d39d0483cce5197c540af.png

iMac G5 (once I get the correct part):

Spoiler

2x1GB DDR 400

Pentium III PC:

Spoiler

filename.thumb.jpg.da1c8d10f795a9682e067aa190828e5d.jpg

5 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

On a desktop when you fill all the RAM slots it usually means you have to run at slightly slower speeds for stability. But for the people who need lots of RAM that drawback is far outweighed by the benefit.

Ahem, my 4x8GB kit of DDR4 overclocked from 3200 to 3333 would like a word with you.

3333 is the highest I can go (Ryzen IMC limitations) but I'm also using mixed RAM dies.

elephants

5 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Ahem, my 4x8GB kit of DDR4 overclocked from 3200 to 3333 would like a word with you.

3333 is the highest I can go (Ryzen IMC limitations) but I'm also using mixed RAM dies.

Are you just going to follow me around to make pedantic comments? That's why I said "usually".

1 minute ago, dilpickle said:

Are you just going to follow me around to make pedantic comments? That's why I said "usually".

I'm not following you around, we just happen to be commenting on the same threads at the same time.

Sorry if I have offended.

elephants