HTC One M7 - VERY small WiFi range

So folks, shortly after the 4.4.2 update for my HTC One M7 i've been having severe WiFi issues. As you can see by the video below, the phone has a wifi range of about 1-2 meters (line of sight to access point) before either disconnecting or staying connected while displaying the lowest signal bar strength. This happens on any wifi network, not just my home one. This makes the phone practically unusable in most situations. I contacted HTC who were happy to collect the phone for repair. Today I received the device only to be told that the repair service (which goes by the name of 'Regenersis) could not replicate the fault. This is rather astonishing considering how obvious the fault is. Here is a list of everything i've tried that has not worked:

- Factory reset

- Delete WiFi profile

- Disable WiFi optimization' 

- Renaming WiFi Direct phone name to HTC One

- Renaming access point SSID

- Changing access point channel 

- Changing access point password and security method

- Using different router entirely

http://youtu.be/oOBqp6FDZ08

I will be contacting HTC again and will keep you guys informed. 

*UPDATE*

HTC suggested I send off my device for another repair, so i did. Today it was returned completely fixed, with a new rear casing/housing meaning that the WiFi antenna was most likely the problem. Thanks for your help guys! 

Edited by AdamThePole

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Did you check XDA Developers and Android Central forum for users with similar issues? Maybe someone has already solved a similar problem.

Did this start immediatly after the update?

Because it looks more like a hardware problem, like bad antenna.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Did you check XDA Developers and Android Central forum for users with similar issues? Maybe someone has already solved a similar problem.

I have indeed done a thorough search. The few people who seem to have a similar issue have not had it resolved. Curiously, HTC One X users have had an issue very similar to this.

Curiously, it started a few days after the update. I am also very inclined to believe this is a hardware fault, however HTC's repair service seem to have a different opinion. 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

What hardware revision is the phone?

other?

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

What hardware revision is the phone?

other?

Could you tell me how to find out this info? 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Remember, HTC replaced Ones that got purple hue on low-light photos after an updat, saying it was a hardware thing. This sounds very similar. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Settings -> About -> Hardware version

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

Settings -> About -> Hardware version

There appears to be no info about the hardware version. I have an IMEI number, IMEI SV number, serial number, IMSI number and a MAC address. 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

I checked both of my M7 HTC One devices (one is stock work phone), the other is rooted. Both devices have the hardware version as the very first thing at the top after clicking 'About'

I checked both of my M7 HTC One devices (one is stock work phone), the other is rooted. Both devices have the hardware version as the very first thing at the top after clicking 'About'

Here are my screenshots. I still can't find a hardware version. 

http://imgur.com/1aQ4bEE

http://imgur.com/ilKLi0w

#KILLEDMYWIFE

That is extremely odd... On the second screenshot it should have the hardware version just above Software version.

That is extremely odd... On the second screenshot it should have the hardware version just above Software version.

How odd indeed. Maybe it's because you have a bald eagle US edition whereas I have a uwotm8 GB version? 

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Well I am running an international (Google Edition) ROM. I am at a bit of a loss... and shall have to fain ignorance and or stupidity.

• 1 year later...

So I Saw This Thread and I Understand How Much Of a Pain HTC is, On Forth My Conclusion and Experimenting:

So I Decided To Take Apart My Old Htc One M7 (Sprint) To Try and Give An Explanation

If You Have Or Have Had This Phone Taken Apart Its Your Ribbons, After Making Sure They Are All Safely Locked Their Snug.

Also You Will Notice 2 Short Detachable Wires On The Top Left Of Your Phones Main Circuit

Try Switching Their Destination To The Main Board

I Disassembled My M7 and Had The Same Outcome, I Tinkered WIth It A Bit This Was How I Fixed It.  

I Hope This Helps

I Now Have an Ugly Htc One 

Cosmetic Wise I Destroyed This Phone For This Thread lol

Your Welcome     

~L0rD Le0N

You Cannot Make Me Forgive,

You Will Only Wish I Could Forget.

So I Saw This Thread and I Understand How Much Of a Pain HTC is, On Forth My Conclusion and Experimenting:

So I Decided To Take Apart My Old Htc One M7 (Sprint) To Try and Give An Explanation

If You Have Or Have Had This Phone Taken Apart Its Your Ribbons, After Making Sure They Are All Safely Locked Their Snug.

Also You Will Notice 2 Short Detachable Wires On The Top Left Of Your Phones Main Circuit

Try Switching Their Destination To The Main Board

I Disassembled My M7 and Had The Same Outcome, I Tinkered WIth It A Bit This Was How I Fixed It.  

I Hope This Helps

I Now Have an Ugly Htc One 

Cosmetic Wise I Destroyed This Phone For This Thread lol

Your Welcome     

~L0rD Le0N  

Why are you bringing up an old post that has already been answered..

If you had taken the time to read what he wrote, in the end he said htc repaired it by replacing the casing and wifi antenna

If death has no cost, life has no worth

The dead are gone, the living are hungry

Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Why are you bringing up an old post that has already been answered..

If you had taken the time to read what he wrote, in the end he said htc repaired it by replacing the casing and wifi antenna

Did Not Realize It Was An Old Post,

and For Some People, Sending Into Manufacturer Isn't Always An Option.

Post Like These Can Be Found Through a Basic Google Search, This Was To Help Those In The Future That Cannot Afford To Send To The Manufacturer.

Hope I Answered Your Question.

Brown Nosing is Not Always The Answer, But To Watch Those Help Others Without Personal Gain Is Always The Answer.

~L0rD Le0N