Are this type of 6pin Psu to 6pin Pcie modular cables alright?

basriwizz

Does this type of 6pin Pcie modular cables, that connects from the 6pin Perif/sata connector work well with Gpu or 6pin motherboard power? Are they safe to use?

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Seasonic-Prime-Platinum-PSU-6%2dPin-to-6%2dPin-PCIE-Modular-Cable-(60cm).html

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Corsair-Premium-Black-PCIE-Modular-Cable-30cm.html

8 minutes ago, basriwizz said:

Does this type of 6pin Pcie modular cables, that connects from the 6pin Perif/sata connector work

Why would anyone want to buy a modular cable that is the 6 pin peripheral connector (PSU) to PCIe 6pin (component)? If you have a modular power supply and are buying cables for it why wouldn't you just buy a proper PCIe cable.

The 6 pin peripheral connector only has a single 12V line, compared to the 3 12V lines used for PCIe cables. No, it's not a good idea to plug PCIe cables in to the peripheral connector.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

35 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Why would anyone want to buy a modular cable that is the 6 pin peripheral connector (PSU) to PCIe 6pin (component)? If you have a modular power supply and are buying cables for it why wouldn't you just buy a proper PCIe cable.

The 6 pin peripheral connector only has a single 12V line, compared to the 3 12V lines used for PCIe cables. No, it's not a good idea to plug PCIe cables in to the peripheral connector.

My friend owns a RM750i which has only 3 PCIE/EPS port on it an asked if he can buy this and use the spare Perif/sata port on his PSU. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, hence this thread. I'm not disagreeing with you.

37 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Which power supply do you have? Depending on which one it is, one is safe and one is not.

I realise one of the links is for Corsair and the other is Seasonic, I posted the other link as a reference as it has an extra image. I'm trying to understand if the 6pin sata port on PSU has enough juice to power the 6pin Pcie.

1 minute ago, basriwizz said:

My friend owns a RM750i which has only 3 PCIE/EPS port on it an asked if he can buy this and use the spare Perif/sata port on his PSU.

How many graphics cards is he trying to power with the RM750i? One for the EPS12V, then that leaves two for the PCIe cables which each have two connectors on the end. 4 PCIe connectors isn't enough?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, Spotty said:

How many graphics cards is he trying to power with the RM750i? One for the EPS12V, then that leaves two for the PCIe cables which each have two connectors on the end. 4 PCIe connectors isn't enough?

No, he has enough cables for 1 for Cpu (i7 I think I'm not sure), and 2 for Gpu (Rx 5700 XT) but purchased MSI Z590 board which has a supplemental 6pin power connector. As I understand those may not be necessary.

24 minutes ago, basriwizz said:

but purchased MSI Z590 board which has a supplemental 6pin power connector.

Which motherboard (there's a dozen different MSI Z590 boards). Are you sure it's 6 pin?

Is it a 4 pin CPU power connector next to the 8 pin EPS12V?

7 minutes ago, basriwizz said:

https://geizhals.eu/msi-z590-a-pro-7d09-003r-a2468347.html MSI A-Pro. Notice the 6pin connector at the bottom of the board.

It's not required.

If you did want to use it power the 5700XT from a single cable (w/ two 6+2pin connectors) and then use the other cable to power the 6 pin supplemental connector on the motherboard. But you're better off using the PCIe cables on the GPU.