Improve Xbox 360 Receiver Adapter Signal

WalkingTornado

Hi everyone, 

The adapter has a good range when plugged outside the computer, however for aesthetic purposes, I put it on the inside of both my computers and the range has suffered greatly. It went from about 25 ft. to less than 3 ft. of distance before my controller keeps disconnecting. I understand that there is a great deal of interference caused by putting it inside the case, but is there anything I can do to improve the signal strength? Perhaps removing the plastic housing it's in?

The one in my home computer is mounted above my hdd/ssd in one of the drive bays at the front. In my ITX build that I take with me to work and when travelling is mounted at the front as well. I tried placing the dongles in locations as far from any other wireless interference and as close to where the controller would be to have a line of "sight" with it.

I know the simplest solution is to leave it outside of the computer, but I prefer the aesthetic much more with it hidden away inside the computer. It is also an inconvenience to have to plug it and unplug it every time I use it in my ITX build. I don't plan on spending money to get the newer controllers with Bluetooth until these controllers break. Thanks for any suggestions!

1 minute ago, WalkingTornado said:

but is there anything I can do to improve the signal strength? Perhaps removing the plastic housing it's in?

Nope, your case is like a faraday cage, it will reduce the signal as long as you have the antenna inside your case. As far as making an antenna for it, I dont think you can do that easily because IIRC, antenna was in the PCB itself.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

9 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nope, your case is like a faraday cage, it will reduce the signal as long as you have the antenna inside your case. As far as making an antenna for it, I dont think you can do that easily because IIRC, antenna was in the PCB itself.

I see, thank you.

Welp, that sucks.