Case Recommendation for Dual GPU

myfinalheaven

Hey all,

Just got my hands on a MSI 3090 Ventus, but currently run a 1080Ti with built-in AIO water cooling (120mm rad). I am looking to run both cards in a case that will provide ample airflow for mining when PC not in use

So looking for some case suggestions that i can transplant my system into with the 2 GPUs without it thermal throttling anytime I load up anything intensive. 

Considerations

Cooling:

NZXT X61 Kraken 280mm Rad on CPU

1080Ti Gigabyte Waterforce with built-in 120mm rad

+

MSI Ventus 3090 (air cooled)

MOBO: MSI Z170 Gaming Pro

Also, what configuration should I set this up in? Should I be putting the air cooled GPU below the water-cooled one or vice versa?

Looking for some (ideally mid-size) case suggestions that might make sense, open to a larger or e-ATX style case too. Mainly focusing on airflow, noise/cost not really too much of a factor.

So far have looked at the Lancool II Mesh and the O11D from Lian Li, but curious to see if anyone else has any other suggestions?

8 minutes ago, myfinalheaven said:

I am looking to run both cards in a case that will provide ample airflow for mining when PC not in use

Open up the side panel. Its free airflow. But if you care about dust proofing like a maniac (intense gasping), Go for something like H500P Mesh, 5000D Airflow, or PC-O11 Dynamic.

10 minutes ago, myfinalheaven said:

Also, what configuration should I set this up in? Should I be putting the air cooled GPU below the water-cooled one or vice versa?

You pretty much nail it. And if possible, 2 slot distance between cards.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

The Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 is a very well constructed case and has filters on everything, it does extremely well with my setup with the fractal Design S36, my temps under full load are only about 60c....

Thomas

MSI Z490 CARBON FIBER  | i9-10850K@5.2Ghz @1.212v | ASRock OC Formula RX6900XT 16GB | 32GB G-Skill Trident RGB 3200Mhz | Custom CPU and GPU Loop(EKWB, Bykski, Primochill) | EVGA Supernova P3 1200W | 2x 250GB Samsung 980 RAID-0 | 2x 500GB Samsung 870 EVO RAID-0 | 1x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 | 8x CM Sickle Flow 120mm Fans | Windows 11 64 Bit

10 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Open up the side panel. Its free airflow. But if you care about dust proofing like a maniac (intense gasping), Go for something like H500P Mesh, 5000D Airflow, or PC-O11 Dynamic.

You pretty much nail it. And if possible, 2 slot distance between cards.

With my mobo would I be able to get 2 slot distance? Looking at a picture of the mobo, I can't tell if I can or not? Am I correct in assuming it can only plug into the silver PCI-E slots?

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, myfinalheaven said:

With my mobo would I be able to get 2 slot distance? Looking at a picture of the mobo, I can't tell if I can or not? Am I correct in assuming it can only plug into the silver PCI-E slots?

You can plug in at the 3rd black one, but youre limited to 4x, which should be fine for the 1080Ti but i heard rumors that 3000 series need 8x to get the massive hashrate. But to answer it: yes.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

You can plug in at the 3rd black one, but youre limited to 4x, which should be fine for the 1080Ti but i heard rumors that 3000 series need 8x to get the massive hashrate. But to answer it: yes.

Awesome thanks for that advice.

I think I've decided on the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic because based on measurements, looks like I can fit both GPUs (albeit with only 1 slot gap), but also fit a 25mm thick 120mm fan on the bottom right below the bottom GPU for extra airflow.

Now the biggest question, how do i place the rads and fan configuration? I'm thinking CPU rad on the side as intake, GPU single 120mm rad up top with 2 extra fans as exhaust and 2 fans on the bottom as intake as well? Also open to the idea of replacing the current 280mm AIO with a 240 AIO so I can leverage the 360mm top and sides with an extra 120mm fan as well

Thoughts on below?

TOP - 120mm GPU Rad + 2x 120mm Fans - all exhaust

Side - 240mm CPU Rad (will buy this to replace the current 280mm) + 1x 120mm Fan - All intake

Bottom - 2x 120mm Fans - All intake

6 hours ago, myfinalheaven said:

Awesome thanks for that advice.

I think I've decided on the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic because based on measurements, looks like I can fit both GPUs (albeit with only 1 slot gap), but also fit a 25mm thick 120mm fan on the bottom right below the bottom GPU for extra airflow.

Now the biggest question, how do i place the rads and fan configuration? I'm thinking CPU rad on the side as intake, GPU single 120mm rad up top with 2 extra fans as exhaust and 2 fans on the bottom as intake as well? Also open to the idea of replacing the current 280mm AIO with a 240 AIO so I can leverage the 360mm top and sides with an extra 120mm fan as well

Thoughts on below?

TOP - 120mm GPU Rad + 2x 120mm Fans - all exhaust

Side - 240mm CPU Rad (will buy this to replace the current 280mm) + 1x 120mm Fan - All intake

Bottom - 2x 120mm Fans - All intake

the top gpu will be hotter as the bottom gpu will block most of the bottom air so only air it will get if from the front witch has to make an 90 degrees all ready and the cpu might take most of that air. best case would be a side mounted fan. but for that you need an windowless case or acrylic.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links