PC Upgrade

ElP

Budget (including currency): 900€ (including new case+ psu+ cg+ mb+cpu+ram)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

various game, preference for the smoothness and the quality of the image before performance

Other details 

So, I have been playing on a predator g5 with a i5 5xxx (don't remember the exact number) and a gtx 970 and I want to upgrade since it struggles with  games like horizon zero dawn or hitman (unable to launch this one). 

I'm using a single 1080p 60Hz display but I plan to upgrade to a single 1440p 120hz 

I started planning and I thought that on my budget - that I would like to keep as tight as possible- a good combo would be a r5 3600 and a rtx 3060ti.

I found a deal for a x470 gaming plus max and the r5 for 200€ (238€ us) 

Should I buy it now and upgrade my psu and gc later?

I already have some 3000mhz ram so I think i'll upgrade later 

2 minutes ago, ElP said:

preference for the smoothness and the quality of the image before performance

Guess I don't quite know what you mean as smoothness+quality of an image needs greater performance. Are you talking about you would rather have a better GPU rather than CPU?

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

12 minutes ago, ElP said:

r5 3600 and a rtx 3060ti

Have you been able to even find these parts anywhere for a reasonable price? If you have awesome; I guess I haven't though.

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

6 minutes ago, ElP said:

Unless you have pretty great power supply, you will probably need a better one with wanting a 3060Ti

Those game will run with your specs, if it cannot, then there must be something wrong with the software.

Try reinstalling drivers or at worse reinstalling windows.

CPU upgrade won't magically fix your problem.

If you want more FPS, a better GPU will definitely gain more.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

10 minutes ago, ElP said:

I started planning and I thought that on my budget - that I would like to keep as tight as possible- a good combo would be a r5 3600 and a rtx 3060ti.

I found a deal for a x470 gaming plus max and the r5 for 200€ (238€ us) 

I already have some 3000mhz ram so I think i'll upgrade later 

Yes, 200 Euro the motherboard and CPU combo it is quite a good deal. Just keep in mind Ryzen non APUs doesn't have integrated graphics so you will need some kind of a graphics card in order to make thing run. I guess your old GTX 970 will get used for some time still. Another thing to take note of is that prebuilt usually come with non-standard components, like the PSUs. So you will need to make sure your current power supply has enough wattage and also has the necessary connectors. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

11 minutes ago, ElP said:

I'm using a single 1080p 60Hz display but I plan to upgrade to a single 1440p 120hz

Make sure to focus on the computer before your monitor, 1080p 60hz is fine until you have a pretty great computer pumping out enough frames (at 1440p) to even make a difference.

41 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Guess I don't quite know what you mean as smoothness+quality of an image needs greater performance. Are you talking about you would rather have a better GPU rather than CPU?

Thanks for the quick answer and sry for my approximative english, I was trying to say that I don't really play competitive so I don't need 500fps on my games 

44 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Have you been able to even find these parts anywhere for a reasonable price? If you have awesome; I guess I haven't though.

Thanks for the quick answer! 

yeah i found this deal on the r5 at 130 euros and a X470 gaming max plus for 70 euros and i thought it was kind of a great deal

no gpu in my sight yet but i think my 970 can hold a little longer

45 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Those game will run with your specs, if it cannot, then there must be something wrong with the software.

Try reinstalling drivers or at worse reinstalling windows.

CPU upgrade won't magically fix your problem.

If you want more FPS, a better GPU will definitely gain more.

It was just a general constatation that it starts to be a bit slow and it made me want to upgrade and i wanted to build a pc for the fun of it 😁

47 minutes ago, Analog said:

Yes, 200 Euro the motherboard and CPU combo it is quite a good deal. Just keep in mind Ryzen non APUs doesn't have integrated graphics so you will need some kind of a graphics card in order to make thing run. I guess your old GTX 970 will get used for some time still. Another thing to take note of is that prebuilt usually come with non-standard components, like the PSUs. So you will need to make sure your current power supply has enough wattage and also has the necessary connectors. 

yes i thought my current card could hold its ground for a little longer until i find smt more powerful and for the psu i'm pretty sure i got to update at least when i'll get a new card to a 700W or 750W  not exactly sure i u got any idee 

thanks for the quick answer 

47 minutes ago, birdflyer said:

Make sure to focus on the computer before your monitor, 1080p 60hz is fine until you have a pretty great computer pumping out enough frames (at 1440p) to even make a difference.

Yeah i bought a new mouse and keyboard (g505 + k63 both wireless☺️) and i wanted to upgrade my config and then the monitor