General question about fans/air flow and coolant body such as ice or water

LookingforanIDA7license

I will keep it short.

I was wondering, theoretically what is going to result in a cooler airflow / colder air temperature from the following two scenarios.

Scene 1: a fan (regardless of size, lets just say 140mm) blows at a bunch of ice cubes.

Scene 2: a fan (same size as S1) blows at a bunch of ice cubes, which are surrounded by water, be it submerged or in a containment that allows the ice cubes to cool off the water (like alumn.).

Which scenario will result in cooler air? 

5 minutes ago, James Evens said:

I will keep it short.

Yes.

Hide contents

It depends.

On what exactly? Both scenarios have the same RPM, the same fan and size. An "it depends" is virtually useless and sounds far from an educated thought. An "it depends on surrounding factors such as room temp, humidity ..." sounds more educated and like a sincere attempt to think abou the question at all 

Sounds like a neat idea to keep things cool but honestly I really don't think your cooling situation would get better when you are spraying the inside of your computer with a fine mist of water.  Might want to think about it a little longer.

Take care and Good Luck.

This... is... your physics assignment?

They both produce as much coolness. If the fans and amount of ice is same. The waterbody doesn't have effect. Other than if its warmer than ice, it needs to cool down first before the coolness can transfer to air.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv