Ryzen RAM

Go to solution Solved by Entropy.,
4 minutes ago, Tordal said:

This is my motherboard.

I see it supports just shy of 3000MHz, so I guess everything is as it should be.

Yes, b460 motherboards only support up to 2933mhz ram, so everything is in order. 

I was buying parts for my PC and grabbed a set of G.Skill Trident Z Neo (16GB 3600MHz) RAM. What I didn't notice is that these apparently are optimised for Ryzen, and I am running an Intel 10700K.

This in turn makes them run at sub 3000MHz. Is there anything I can do to at least get them closer to 3600, or is this just a lost cause?

10700k is locked to 3000mhz so that all you are going to get. Optimized for Ryzen doesn't really mean much if Intel allowed higher speed you would get it but they dont. 

No ram is optimize for certain CPU. it's just marketing.

You can buy that and run it in lower freq no problem.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thanks, I didn't know the i7 had that limit. Runs perfectly fine, and I got a good price for them so no point making any changes then 🙂

6 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

10700k is locked to 3000mhz so that all you are going to get. Optimized for Ryzen doesn't really mean much if Intel allowed higher speed you would get it but they dont

No, No, No. It's based on the chipset. I run a 10700k at 3200mhz on a z490. You need to Enable XMP on boards that support it, which is technically overclocking to go past 2933mhz, but that doesn't mean the chip is capped. 

OP, what's your motherboard? It could be a bad batch of ram, somehow. I might recommend RMA'ing it. You did try to enable XMP, right?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

OP, what's your motherboard? It could be a bad batch of ram, somehow. I might recommend RMA'ing it. 

This is my motherboard.

I see it supports just shy of 3000MHz, so I guess everything is as it should be.

4 minutes ago, Tordal said:

This is my motherboard.

Yes, b460 motherboards only support up to 2933mhz ram, so everything is in order. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

5 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

No, No, No. It's based on the chipset. I run a 10700k at 3200mhz on a z490. You need to Enable XMP on boards that support it, which is technically overclocking to go past 2933mhz, but that doesn't mean the chip is capped. 

OP, what's your motherboard? It could be a bad batch of ram, somehow. I might recommend RMA'ing it. You did try to enable XMP, right?

learn something new every day sorry for bad info @Tordal