Trying to help a friend build his first real computer

skye12977

Budget (including currency): 800 USD (not including a GPU)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Diablo 2 Resurrected. Warzone if he was able to find a decently priced GPU (1660 or higher)

Other details: No existing parts, assume he already has a mouse and keyboard, trying to purchase before Diablo 2 Resurrection launch, most like 1080p@60hz

He wants to build a computer and then buy a GPU when he's able to find one that isn't too overpriced.

He mainly wants to use it for Diablo 2 Resurrected and maybe Warzone.

-I personally suggested he look for a 1060 or 1660 (or higher, depending on if he can find a decently priced one).

-I suggested he possibly go for an intel CPU to use the integrated graphics as he should at least be able to use his computer until he finds a GPU.

*Integrated graphics may even be good enough to play Diablo 2 Resurrected, I don't know.

This is what he came up with as a start. 

I'm wondering if anyone can help me come up with a better build on parts or even find a decent prebuilt (I know it's not the best idea).

-Maybe a non-K skew CPU and thus a cheaper motherboard (that also doesn't have the extra unused 4-pin).

-Someone even suggested a Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics.

-Better RAM to fit the CPU.

-Maybe a combination of a smaller SSD and then also an HDD for storage.

Trying to keep it around 700-800 without a GPU or OS. He's located in NY (not near a microcenter IIRC).

2 minutes ago, skye12977 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Diablo 2 Resurrected. Warzone if he was able to find a decently priced GPU (1660 or higher)

Other details: No existing parts, assume he already has a mouse and keyboard, trying to purchase before Diablo 2 Resurrection launch, most like 1080p@60hz

He wants to build a computer and then buy a GPU when he's able to find one that isn't too overpriced.

-I personally suggested he look for a 1060 or 1660 (or higher, depending on if he can find a decently priced one).

-I suggested he possibly go for an intel CPU to use the integrated graphics as he should at least be able to use his computer until he finds a GPU.

*Integrated graphics may even be good enough to play Diablo 2 Resurrected, I don't know.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me come up with a better build on parts or even find a decent prebuilt (I know it's not the best idea).

-Maybe a non-K skew CPU and thus a cheaper motherboard (that also doesn't have the extra unused 4-pin).

Trying to keep it around 700-800 without a GPU or OS. He's located in NY (not near a microcenter IIRC).

For storage get the significantly faster sn550 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zFK2FT/western-digital-blue-sn550-500-gb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds500g2b0c

4 minutes ago, skye12977 said:

Someone even suggested a Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics.

Don't bother with this if he has any intention of getting a GPU in the future. The pretty slow 4 core Ryzen chips will bottleneck any mid range GPU.

5 minutes ago, skye12977 said:

Better RAM to fit the CPU.

The RAM isn't too bad of a choice, but for almost $100 you can certainly find some faster RAM.

5 minutes ago, skye12977 said:

Maybe a combination of a smaller SSD and then also an HDD for storage.

I would suggest just getting a 1TB NVMe drive. It'll be plenty for the two games he wants to play, and if he needs mass storage in the future, a 2TB HDD can be found for $50.

Also, for about $10 more, the Scythe Fuma 2 performs great, though it might be unnecessary for just gaming.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

3 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

I can also offer a larger capacity option with a lower SSD size to 500GB and add a HDD for games that have short load times, typically common in indie games, and whatever appdata or non-game files that would otherwise take up the more precious SSD space to keep the OS running  responsively and run games worth shortening loads drastically.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

12 minutes ago, skye12977 said:

Couple things- first, get a NVME SSD, like the Crucial p2 1TB or the Samsung 970 evo. Maybe get ddr4-3200? (3000 is fine, but 3200 is better) Also maybe get a cooler that might be better at cooling the 10700k? That thing runs hot. Power supply is good,. but if u want a higher end video card, I would get a 750 or 850w power supply. 

Gaming PC:

CPU- Intel Core i5-10400 (planning to upgrade when Alder Lake releases)

CPU Cooler- be quiet! Dark Rock Slim up to 180W TDP

Motherboard- Asus ROG Strix B460-h Gaming

Memory- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 CL15 memory

Storage- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-NVME SSD up to 2400 MB/s 

Video Card- MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3060 Ti OC

PC Chassis- Cooler Master TD500 MESH ARGB with Controller

Power Supply- EVGA 650w P2 (planning to upgrade to EVGA 80+ Gold 1k watts)

Rear Fan- Touchaqua Bitspower Notos RGB fan

Monitor- Acer EI272UR 2560x1440 144hz 4ms Radeon Freesync monitor

Keyboard- Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse- Logitech G203 Lightsync (planning to upgrade to g502 HERO)

Controller- Xbox One Wireless Controller - Red 

LaptopProcessor- Ryzen 7 4700U (8c/8t up to 4.1Ghz) with Radeon graphics, 16GB DDR4-3200 memory, 512 NVME SSD

Just now, curiousmind34 said:

That could work, However it would be better if fully modular and 80+ gold, like this https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-750-g1-120-gp-0750-x1-750w/p/N82E16817438132?Description=evga 750w&cm_re=evga_750w-_-17-438-132-_-Product&quicklink=true

I know its more expensive, you could get this one or any equivalent from a reputable brand, like Corsair, seasonic, or others.

Gaming PC:

CPU- Intel Core i5-10400 (planning to upgrade when Alder Lake releases)

CPU Cooler- be quiet! Dark Rock Slim up to 180W TDP

Motherboard- Asus ROG Strix B460-h Gaming

Memory- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-3000 CL15 memory

Storage- Crucial P2 1TB M.2-NVME SSD up to 2400 MB/s 

Video Card- MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3060 Ti OC

PC Chassis- Cooler Master TD500 MESH ARGB with Controller

Power Supply- EVGA 650w P2 (planning to upgrade to EVGA 80+ Gold 1k watts)

Rear Fan- Touchaqua Bitspower Notos RGB fan

Monitor- Acer EI272UR 2560x1440 144hz 4ms Radeon Freesync monitor

Keyboard- Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

Mouse- Logitech G203 Lightsync (planning to upgrade to g502 HERO)

Controller- Xbox One Wireless Controller - Red 

LaptopProcessor- Ryzen 7 4700U (8c/8t up to 4.1Ghz) with Radeon graphics, 16GB DDR4-3200 memory, 512 NVME SSD

After a few changes: 

I guess the budget is going to have to expanded to between 800-900 (without GPU or OS)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor $309.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z490M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory $93.99 @ B&H
Storage Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Newegg
Case Phanteks Eclipse P300 ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $843.94
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-12 18:16 EDT-0400  

I can bring it down to a 500gb m.2 to save a bit.

The motherboard he chose isn't in stock, so I put in a filler.

The PSU is on sale on Newegg for 100$ (https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-650f14hg-650w/p/1HU-024C-00007?Description=Leadex III&cm_re=Leadex_III-_-9SIAMNPAY44593-_-Product)

What would you guys suggest on a CPU cooler, maybe a different motherboard, or first build friendly case.

Evidently he's going to bring the computer in somewhere and have them build it.... so the cast wont matter 'as' much.