Upgrading secondary household computer.

Linzinha

Budget (including currency): I'm currently a little higfh in my budget at 650 euros, but have a flexible range of 400-700

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: This is really hard to say, because it's our secondary workstation. I would like it to be a little bit more capable with games, adobe, etc than something just meant to browse the internet, but we just built a pretty beasty computer a few months ago that can handle the bulk of the high intensity workload.

Other details

My husband and I just built a new computer, and I'd like to upgrade the old/secondary one to give it a performance boost. Right now my plan is to keep the case (which was actually upgraded about a year or so ago), the graphics card, and the PSU, and upgrade the mobo, RAM, HDD to SSD, and CPU. Everything looks compatible but I would appreciate some advice on balancing my budget. This is what I've selected:

Motherboard ATX ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 - 86,90 €
Processador AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Octa-Core 3.6GHz c/ Turbo 4.4GHz 36MB SktAM4 - 329,90 €

Memória RAM G.SKILL Trident Z RGB (For AMD) 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz CL16 Preta - 132,90 €

SSD M.2 2280 Kingston A2000 1TB 3D TLC NVMe - 99,90 €

The GPU I have is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

What do you all think?

For shopping in Portugal I'm mainly using PCDiga, but other options are PcComponentes, Fnac and Worten.

I think you should get a cheaper motherboard, downgrade your CPU to a 3600X, get 8GB 3600Mhz ram and cram a 1660 in the budget. You should get a 250GB M.2 boot drive and a 1 TB hard drive. 

3 minutes ago, Henry2026 said:

I think you should get a cheaper motherboard, downgrade your CPU to a 3600X, get 8GB 3600Mhz ram and cram a 1660 in the budget. You should get a 250GB M.2 boot drive and a 1 TB hard drive. 

agree, except for the gpu

Eventually I'm going to get a new GPU but it's not really a priority. Call me a masochist but I've used things like After Effects on the build Now so anything is an improvement, and I can wait until the GPU market stabilizes some.

I was actually second guessing the motherboard because it doesn't come with a.. I don't know what it's called but the metal plate around the ports isn't attached? It's minor but I hated having to mess with that plate being separate.