New Solidworks/Editing build or upgrade old gaming machine?

M4T VW

Hello all.

I'm new here but watched LTT for a while now. 

So my setup currently is i have a driving simulator which my games PC is used on. The spec of this is an i7 8700k and an EVGA RTX 2080 Super. I don't really have many problems with this machine, I run VR on it and also triple screens and it handles it fine but struggles a little with the VR (HP Reverb G2) on some sims. I think the issue here is the GPU but i'm not going to get into buying a 30 series card for a while looking at the prices so i'm stuck with that GPU until the market sorts itself out.

I have another desktop PC which is quite old now but that's running an i7 920 and a GTX660TI (from memory!)

I've not used this PC for a couple of years now as i packed it away due to a house renovation but got it out and it still works fine. I mainly used this PC for just browsing and a small bit of video editing.

I'm going to get getting more into solidworks and video editing (not in a hardcore way) but want it to be able to handle both. 

My options are...

Upgrade the i7 8700k machine to a later spec and use the i7 8700k stuff in my desktop (Not the GPU, That will stay on the games PC) It's just a nightmare having to install all the sim software and games etc so it would have to be worth it for me to strip that one apart. Would i notice any gains if i upgraded to an 11th series CPU?

The 2nd option is leave the games PC alone and build a new desktop, Maybe a Ryzen 5/7 build? I just don't want the i7 8600k hardware to become too old that it's not worth anything. 

I would have to wait a bit to get a GPU for the desktop as it seems stupid to buy a GPU at the moment. The GTX660ti works fine for the little bit i do at the moment anyway.

Thanks all, I'm just not sure what to do!

Cheers

Mat

why not upgrade and keep just your main pc for both gaming and editing? a ryzen 5000 series (5600x or 5800x) should make some difference in gaming, and would be much better for solidworks and editing than the 8700k.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Sadly it's a problem of location. The simulator is huge and downstairs in it's own room. The desktop is upstairs in my office so it has to be two separate machines.

Cheers

Mat