I5 1135g7 @ 40w ?

Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

You can set the power limits of an Intel CPU to whatever you like. As long as cooling is adequate, there is nothing to worry about. Some laptops with this CPU have unlocked power limits and can run at over 50W.

Kind of like Intel's 10900 non K. If you run it at its 65W TDP rating, full load performance will be miserable. Increase the power limit to 200W or more and it will run more than twice as fast when fully loaded. 

If the BIOS does not have options to adjust the power limits, you can use software instead. You can make changes on the fly without having to reboot. Very flexible design.

Hello, I am confused over Intel's i5 1135g7 as it is rated at 12 to 28 watt however the intel nuc 11 performance has an i5 1135g7 at 40w. I am confused and would like to know if its 2 different measurements or if they are genuinely running it 12 watts over recommended power. Thanks in advance.

You can set the power limits of an Intel CPU to whatever you like. As long as cooling is adequate, there is nothing to worry about. Some laptops with this CPU have unlocked power limits and can run at over 50W.

Kind of like Intel's 10900 non K. If you run it at its 65W TDP rating, full load performance will be miserable. Increase the power limit to 200W or more and it will run more than twice as fast when fully loaded. 

If the BIOS does not have options to adjust the power limits, you can use software instead. You can make changes on the fly without having to reboot. Very flexible design.

8 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Thank you for explaining. I didn't know that Intel had unlocked power limits.

2 hours ago, Janettebot said:

that Intel had unlocked power limits

Most recent Intel CPUs have unlocked power limits. Individual manufacturers that use Intel CPUs get to decide whether to leave the power limits unlocked or not. Some laptops / low power devices will enforce the rated TDP limit long term while others will leave the power limits unlocked. This allows individual users or manufacturers to set the power limits to whatever values they like.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208658/intel-core-i5-1135g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

For the 11th Gen processors like the 1135G7, Intel no longer documents the rated TDP. These CPUs have a Configurable TDP-up mode and a Configurable TDP-down mode but Intel no longer documents the TDP. Similar 10th Gen G7 CPUs had a 15W TDP rating but this specification has been deliberately removed. This gives manufacturers more freedom to set these CPUs up however they like without having to worry about any complaints about not being in spec. There no longer is a spec. I like how Intel solves problems. 

Here is a good example of how a 10810U performs once the power limits are removed. It is a low power CPU with a 15W TDP rating. Someone forgot to tell the CPU that it is only a 15W CPU.

ipszLeM.png

4 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Most recent Intel CPUs have unlocked power limits. Individual manufacturers that use Intel CPUs get to decide whether to leave the power limits unlocked or not. Some laptops / low power devices will enforce the rated TDP limit long term while others will leave the power limits unlocked. This allows individual users or manufacturers to set the power limits to whatever values they like.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208658/intel-core-i5-1135g7-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-20-ghz.html

For the 11th Gen processors like the 1135G7, Intel no longer documents the rated TDP. These CPUs have a Configurable TDP-up mode and a Configurable TDP-down mode but Intel no longer documents the TDP. Similar 10th Gen G7 CPUs had a 15W TDP rating but this specification has been deliberately removed. This gives manufacturers more freedom to set these CPUs up however they like without having to worry about any complaints about not being in spec. There no longer is a spec. I like how Intel solves problems. 

Here is a good example of how a 10810U performs once the power limits are removed. It is a low power CPU with a 15W TDP rating. Someone forgot to tell the CPU that it is only a 15W CPU.

ipszLeM.png

So I could also technically change it to unlimited power multiplier and get better performance? Strange, does it not already outperform the i3 10100 in most cases too (when the i5 1135g7 is at 12 to 28 watt). Just shows how riger lake is a huge improvement over the desktop processors.

36 minutes ago, Janettebot said:

unlimited power

That should increase full load performance. Max CPU multiplier and speed are locked.

Tiger Lake mobile are 10nm. 11th Gen desktop are still rocking 14nm from 2015.

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

That should increase full load performance. Max CPU multiplier and speed are locked.

Tiger Lake mobile are 10nm. 11th Gen desktop are still rocking 14nm from 2015.

One thing I find odd is the 2.4 ghz base clock on the nuc which is more than standard (I think) has intel done some customisation or am i being crazy.

1 hour ago, Janettebot said:

2.4 ghz base clock

The Intel specs I posted show that 2.40 GHz is the TDP-up base frequency. The TDP-down base frequency is only 900 MHz. Intel CPUs use TDP levels. TDP Level 0 is the base level, TDP Level 1 is TDP-down and TDP Level 2 is the TDP-up level. The TDP Level 0 base level is no longer documented for the 11th Gen G7.

Some of Intel's desktop CPUs also have TDP Levels that most users do not know about. The 10850K includes a TDP-down level where the base frequency drops from 3600 MHz to 3300 MHz and the rated TDP drops from 125W to 95W.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/205904/intel-core-i9-10850k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

Changing a single bit in the CPU allows Intel to create different CPUs for different markets.

image.png.f447493b2ec19bb8eb35055c74f2b001.png

5 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

The Intel specs I posted show that 2.40 GHz is the TDP-up base frequency. The TDP-down base frequency is only 900 MHz. Intel CPUs use TDP levels. TDP Level 0 is the base level, TDP Level 1 is TDP-down and TDP Level 2 is the TDP-up level. The TDP Level 0 base level is no longer documented for the 11th Gen G7.

Some of Intel's desktop CPUs also have TDP Levels that most users do not know about. The 10850K includes a TDP-down level where the base frequency drops from 3600 MHz to 3300 MHz and the rated TDP drops from 125W to 95W.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/205904/intel-core-i9-10850k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

Changing a single bit in the CPU allows Intel to create different CPUs for different markets.

image.png.f447493b2ec19bb8eb35055c74f2b001.png

Ah, thanks for explaining, I've learned alot from this thread and I would like to thank you for explaining all of this to me