Poor and inconsistent gaming performance, is my PSU at fault?

Ste

Hi. First time post here, please be kind! Here's my setup:

• Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
  • 16GB 3200MHz Corsair vengeance ram (2x8GB)
  • Fractal Design SFX-L 550w PSU
  • Asus Rog Strix B450i motherboard (bios ver 2703, D.O.C.P profile enabled)
  • Adata m.2 SSD
  • Zotac Gaming Nvidia 3060Ti GPU (not the OC version)
  • Windows 10 pro 64 (20H2)
  • Streacom DA2 V2 ITX case
  • 240mm corsair AIO
  • 2560x1080 LG monitor

The issue I'm getting are poor frame rates, particularly in the Assassin's Creed games (Valhalla and Odyssey). I'm averaging 50 frames a second on the settings set by Nvidia GeForce Experience. I get periods of very low frame rates which happen sporadically. I'm not over or underclocking either my CPU or GPU, thermals rarely go above 75c, I just can't work out what's going on.

I've tried a fresh install of windows, all drivers up-to-date etc, but still my framerates remain poor. My CPU during gameplay doesn't go much higher than 80% usage at peak and averages around 60%. GPU is at 95% pretty much all the time. I suspect that it could be that my PSU isn't powerful enough, as I do get occasional game crashes, but my system is pretty stable aside from that.

Any pointers, indicators or anything else I should try is appreciated. It might be that the GPU isn't up for the task, but I've read good things about the 3060 TI so my experience is at odds to popular opinion.

Thanks!

No, a power supply will not cause low FPS in games.

2 minutes ago, Ste said:

The issue I'm getting are poor frame rates, particularly in the Assassin's Creed games (Valhalla and Odyssey).

Both of those games are notorious for being heavily CPU and memory bound and not performing that well.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, Spotty said:

No, a power supply will not cause low FPS in games.

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I don;t need to go and try and replace my PSU during the great 2021 PC hardware drought! I guess it'd be my CPU i'd need to look at to improve performance then, given the assassins creed series is memory/cpu bound

31 minutes ago, Ste said:

Thanks for the reply. Good to know I don;t need to go and try and replace my PSU during the great 2021 PC hardware drought! I guess it'd be my CPU i'd need to look at to improve performance then, given the assassins creed series is memory/cpu bound

Your cpu is good for mid end pc, it's cause of poor optimizations within the game