RTX 3080 causing blue screen

DominicNikon

Hello, I have this issue where my evga ftw 3 ultra RTX 3080 is causing a blue screen underload. There are no other symptoms like artifacts or black screens or driver crashes. I uninstalled the driver using DDU and installed the latestest version again and this fixed it for around 20 minutes of a stress test before crashing and now it is back at 1 minute of stress testing. The latest changes to the gpu are that I added an ek waterblock (max temp 45C) and EVGA percision X uploaded new firmware to the card for which I believe is for resizable bar support. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Thank you in advance 

did it happen b4 the waterblock? full system specs?

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

8 minutes ago, xg32 said:

did it happen b4 the waterblock? full system specs?

It happened after the block. 

Ryzen 9 3950x

32gb dominator plantinum

Aorus x570 xtreme 

Hx850i psu 

Rtx 3080 ftw 3 ultra 

M.2 ssd 

Nothing is overclocked

59 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Hello, I have this issue where my evga ftw 3 ultra RTX 3080 is causing a blue screen underload. There are no other symptoms like artifacts or black screens or driver crashes. I uninstalled the driver using DDU and installed the latestest version again and this fixed it for around 20 minutes of a stress test before crashing and now it is back at 1 minute of stress testing. The latest changes to the gpu are that I added an ek waterblock (max temp 45C) and EVGA percision X uploaded new firmware to the card for which I believe is for resizable bar support. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Thank you in advance 

from your mobo bios activate resizable bar support too. if doesn't work i say ddu gpu drivers out of the universe and try without that update
(if nothing works it's dead so put that 3080 in a box and send it to me)* 

*don't. it's a joke

7 minutes ago, MAXXPRO said:

from your mobo bios activate resizable bar support too. if doesn't work i say ddu gpu drivers out of the universe and try without that update
(if nothing works it's dead so put that 3080 in a box and send it to me)* 

*don't. it's a joke

Activate resizeable bar and do a ddu a second time not part of the joke right?

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Activate resizeable bar and do a ddu a second time not part of the joke right?

exactly

1 hour ago, DominicNikon said:

and EVGA percision X uploaded new firmware to the card 

try to not update to this point
if it's not solved we will need to check hardware installation(memory and vrm cooling on gpu)

17 minutes ago, MAXXPRO said:

try to not update to this point

Evga already forced the firmware update since I had the software installed. Also what's a good temp for vram and vrm? My tempatures before it crashes are core 45c hottest vram chip 47 and the vrm is also around 47c but I saw it once go up to 50c. I'll try the other stuff tomorrow

24 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

what's a good temp for vram and vrm? My tempatures before it crashes are core 45c hottest vram chip 47 and the vrm is also around 47c but I saw it once go up to 50c. I'll try the other stuff tomorrow

perfectly fine

18 hours ago, MAXXPRO said:

perfectly fine

enabling resizable bar and unistalling the display driver a second time did not fix the issue 

19 hours ago, MAXXPRO said:

from your mobo bios activate resizable bar support too

did you try this?

1 minute ago, MAXXPRO said:

did you try this?

12 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

enabling resizable bar and unistalling the display driver a second time did not fix the issue 

Yes

18 minutes ago, MAXXPRO said:
here is the fix for your problem

What is the point of part D? Like what are you supposed to do when the computer boots off of another gpu

image.png.86dccdaa5fab80ed253a9a47385a63f7.png

@MAXXPROI haven't done that yet, I will tomorrow but any ideas why, when windows is reset and battlefield is the only program installed it goes hours without crashing? 

7 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

@MAXXPROI haven't done that yet, I will tomorrow but any ideas why, when windows is reset and battlefield is the only program installed it goes hours without crashing? 

blue screen is often because of hardware fail, maybe we are focusing on the wrong device? try playing with only one ram memory module to see if it's that causing the blue screen

On 4/10/2021 at 6:07 PM, MAXXPRO said:

here is the fix for your problem

For an update that did not work. Should I try another pcie slot?

35 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

For an update that did not work. Should I try another pcie slot?

you can try, sure! but PCI express is hard to break like that

On 4/10/2021 at 2:54 AM, DominicNikon said:

around 20 minutes of a stress test before crashing and now it is back at 1 minute of stress testing. 

that's why I'm thinking of defecting ram module

Just now, MAXXPRO said:

you can try, sure! but PCI express is hard to break like that

that's why I'm thinking of defecting ram module

Would mem test be able to spot that issue with ram? 

Just now, DominicNikon said:

Would mem test be able to spot that issue with ram? 

sure but you will need hours of testing, that stress test you are using is faster

6 minutes ago, MAXXPRO said:

sure but you will need hours of testing, that stress test you are using is faster

That's true but I am thinking of doing around 15 hours of mem test to see if it errors just to narrow it down from gpu to ram. How does that sound?

2 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

That's true but I am thinking of doing around 15 hours of mem test to see if it errors just to narrow it down from gpu to ram

meanwhile you could both test ram and mine those fancy online coins for 15hours

15 hours ago, MAXXPRO said:

meanwhile you could both test ram and mine those fancy online coins for 15hours

So far mem test is 2000% over 31/32gb and no errors detected yet

@MAXXPROAlso on closer inspection to my system I noticed the 2 pin side of the 6+2 pin pcie cable was not plugged in all the way so maybe the gpu was not getting a solid power connection since it was pulling 380 watts 

47 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

@MAXXPROAlso on closer inspection to my system I noticed the 2 pin side of the 6+2 pin pcie cable was not plugged in all the way so maybe the gpu was not getting a solid power connection since it was pulling 380 watts 

that's the second time I miss a simple solution, first cooler thin plastic layer to peel before mounting and now this 

hope it's solved now 😄