Windows Tablet vs Android Tablet

AdvocateOfNyx

I currently have a Windows tablet with a keyboard cover and pen (Acer Switch Alpha 12).  I was using it for note taking at school, but I have not had in person classes since last year due to covid.  I don't have any particular issue with it other than the pen and touch inputs both being absolutely horrendous, but for a pen-and-paper-like note taking device, that's kind of a big deal.

The new Galaxy Tab S7 Lite is rumored to be coming out soon & I feel like either that or the S6 Lite (post price drops) would probably do a better job for content consumption and note taking, but was wondering what you all might think?  I'll be starting in person classes again in around 4 or 5 months, so I've got at least 2 or 3 months to sit on the idea if now isn't the right time.

For the record, my plan would be to sell this tablet on ebay and put that towards getting a new tablet (and some Amazon gift cards I have to cover the cost of the keyboard case and part of the new tablet.)

Any suggestions or comparisons?  Thanks!

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

That would take time.  Weeks.  Sounds like something more possible on Say,  summer vacation.  I don’t know when that starts and ends though.  It varies by school.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

29 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That would take time.  Weeks.  Sounds like something more possible on Say,  summer vacation.  I don’t know when that starts and ends though.  It varies by school.

What would take weeks?  Selling it?  My plan is basically to throw it on eBay/Marketplace and wait for someone to buy it for the right price, so I'm not too worried about that. 

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

23 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

What would take weeks?  Selling it?  My plan is basically to throw it on eBay/Marketplace and wait for someone to buy it for the right price, so I'm not too worried about that. 

Sure.  Then you have to ship it, wait for the buyer’s OK, get the funds released from PayPal, shop for a computer, wait for it to be shipped etc...  during this variable amount of time you have no tablet to do schoolwork on. Even a fairly short period of no school would be sufficient but with this plan there will be a period where you have no computer.  Minimum of days.  Maximum of well over a week. Maybe 2 or even 3.  There are people on this site who trade in electronics on eBay. They may be able to nail down that number a bit harder.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sure.  Then you have to ship it, wait for the buyer’s OK, get the funds released from PayPal, shop for a computer, wait for it to be shipped etc...  during this variable amount of time you have no tablet to do schoolwork on. Even a fairly short period of no school would be sufficient but with this plan there will be a period where you have no computer.  Minimum of days.  Maximum of well over a week. Maybe 2 or even 3.  There are people on this site who trade in electronics on eBay. They may be able to nail down that number a bit harder.

I see, sorry for the confusion.  I said I did my in person schoolwork on it, but I have a desktop that I can use for schoolwork in the time I don't have a tablet.  Additionally, I have an old crappy laptop that I COULD use in case of emergency. 

Not worried about not having a computer, just asking about suggestions as to if an Android tablet would do a better job of what I need than my current tablet.

43 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Touch rejection is pretty important for the stylus experience to not be annoying. The Tab S6 Lite lacks touch rejection. So waiting for the next tablet might be a good idea.

At this price range you may also consider an iPad. Although do keep in mind the additional cost of getting the stylus.

What you intend to do on the tablet apart from writing and drawing? What apps you need it to run? How much storage you need it to have? Do you need it to have cellular connection?

Ensure that your needs and wants are nailed down first, before considering fancy additional stuff. When taking suggestions, focus on their rationale for the recommendation, hard facts and information. Beware of opinionized, sweeping statements.

Noted, definitely going to wait to see what the S7 Lite offers (at the very least to lower the price of other tablets).

I've bought too many apps in the Play Store to switch to iOS now...  I'm also not sure I'd want to live without some certain apks I use all the time, so I'd like to stick to Android.

I'm handwriting homework/notes, using it as a "laptop-like" device (with a keyboard cover) to do basic school assignments while in class/out and about (Samsung DeX is exactly what I want here), probably playing some basic games to keep me entertained (think like Bloons and Wild Rift), and watching some Netflix/YouTube when I don't have a bigger screen available.  I was also considering using the feature Samsung has to use the tablet as a wireless monitor in the cases I feel like I need a third monitor in online class (usually math classes), but I could live without this.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.  

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Touch rejection is pretty important for the stylus experience to not be annoying. The Tab S6 Lite lacks touch rejection

It seems like it does have palm rejection, do you mean something different? 

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Touch rejection is pretty important for the stylus experience to not be annoying. The Tab S6 Lite lacks touch rejection. So waiting for the next tablet might be a good idea.

At this price range you may also consider an iPad. Although do keep in mind the additional cost of getting the stylus.

What you intend to do on the tablet apart from writing and drawing? What apps you need it to run? How much storage you need it to have? Do you need it to have cellular connection?

Ensure that your needs and wants are nailed down first, before considering fancy additional stuff. When taking suggestions, focus on their rationale for the recommendation, hard facts and information. Beware of opinionized, sweeping statements.

Once upon a time the far and away leader in this was Wacom.  They didn’t have touch rejection, but they did it with a special stylus that produced a special kind of touch.  So I guess touch rejection was sort of built in. This may be what you are talking about.  I don’t know.  The thing that made Wacom king was they did variable pressure very very well and their system worked without having to put a battery in the stylus.  Samsung had the Wacom system for their phones.  If they’re doing that they could win.  Apple has a really good system too for their ipad stuff that uses the ipencil.  The stuff that doesn’t used the ipencil though has a terrible system that basically requires a synthetic “finger” substitute. 

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Once upon a time the far and away leader in this was Wacom.  They didn’t have touch rejection, but they did it with a special stylus that produced a special kind of touch.  So I guess touch rejection was sort of built in. This may be what you are talking about.  I don’t know.  The thing that made Wacom king was they did variable pressure very very well and their system worked without having to put a battery in the stylus.  Samsung had the Wacom system for their phones.  If they’re doing that they could win.  Apple has a really good system too for their ipad stuff that uses the ipencil.  The stuff that doesn’t used the ipencil though has a terrible system that basically requires a synthetic “finger” substitute. 

Samsung indeed does use Wacom stuff, and I absolutely understand the difference between true stylus support and a capacitive stylus.  I have both.