CPU Choice for Linux (VM)

Pikatchu

I am starting to use VM for both windows and linux (one at a time) for learning how VM works in general. (Using virtualbox)

Which brand of CPU should I go for? I remember reading about it and Intel seems to be favorited against AMD when it comes to virtualization. Did this change with Zen3?

I understand Nvidia GPU will have some problem with driver in Linux, so one thing I personally have against going AMD CPU is no integrated GPU.

Are there anything else I should look out for? I am a Linux newbie and would like to have the least amount of trouble to begin with.

P.S. The virtual machine will be ran as long as physical PC is on, so it needs to share resources with the main PC 24/7.

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

4 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

I am starting to use VM for both windows and linux (one at a time) for learning how VM works in general. (Using virtualbox)

Which brand of CPU should I go for? I remember reading about it and Intel seems to be favorited against AMD when it comes to virtualization. Did this change with Zen3?

I understand Nvidia GPU will have some problem with driver in Linux, so one thing I personally have against going AMD CPU is no integrated GPU.

Are there anything else I should look out for? I am a Linux newbie and would like to have the least amount of trouble to begin with.

P.S. The virtual machine will be ran as long as physical PC is on, so it needs to share resources with the main PC 24/7.

budget?

I can't say there's an overwhelming reason to go either direction.

From my experience on Threadripper AMD-V works just as well as Intel's VT-x at least when it comes to using QEMU/KVM as a virtualizer with hardware pass-through.

I guess I'd go with whichever brand suits your other needs better.

3 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

budget?

Around $500 for just the CPU

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I can't say there's an overwhelming reason to go either direction.

From my experience on Threadripper AMD-V works just as well as Intel's VT-x at least when it comes to using QEMU/KVM as a virtualizer with hardware pass-through.

I guess I'd go with whichever brand suits your other needs better.

3 hours ago, curiousmind34 said:

budget?

I am deciding between 5800x or 10850k. 5800x combo (with motherboard) will cost $50 more for me, 8core vs 12core but 8core have faster single core. 

3 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

I am deciding between 5800x or 10850k. 5800x combo (with motherboard) will cost $50 more for me, 8core vs 12core but 8core have faster single core. 

If you are using vms, the best value has to be the 5900x by far, you are getting 50% more cores for $100. I know it’s a bit expensive, but it has to be the best value on a per core basis.

1 minute ago, curiousmind34 said:

If you are using vms, the best value has to be the 5900x by far, you are getting 50% more cores for $100. I know it’s a bit expensive, but it has to be the best value on a per core basis.

I can get a 10850k for $350 (just the CPU) right now, can't do the same for 5900x because of stock issue. So, 5800x or 10850k if it you have to choose one right now?

22 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Depends how parallel of a virtualized workload you have in mind. In various respects 12 cores will outperform 8 unless you overclocked the crap out of the 8 core.

If you really only plan on stressing one VM at a time or plan to try gaming in a VM a lower core count with higher clock would be better.

If you plan to load up more than one VM at a time you will want more cores over faster cores.

If you plan to game & load up multiple VM's all at the same time. This is when you look into overclocking a 12 core.