Flashing bios on MSI MAG TOMAHAWK X570?

Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
5 minutes ago, Nillelack said:

Let's say the board i receive have 7C84v11 pre installed. Do i then have to flash it through 7C84v12 and then 7C84v13. Or can i directly download the version i have to use and install it straight away?

No, you can install directly to the latest revision, you don't have to go in chronological order and just increases the chance of possibly bricking the motherboard; such as loss of power while updating, etc. Some motherboards allow you to update the BIOS without the CPU/Memory installed with the appropriate USB thumb drive with the BIOS on it in the proper USB port for flashing. 

7 minutes ago, Nillelack said:

I've read that the Flash bios button on the IO can be kind of funky.

Just follow and review the instructions in the owner's manual for the motherboard. If you are still unsure, MSI has some YT videos on how to update the BIOS, which I find to be more helpful. 

Does anyone here know how i should update this motherboard? I'm going to run a Ryzen 7 5800x on it, and from what i can gather, i have to update to 7C84v14 for that CPU to be compatible 

I'm getting my new motherboard tomorrow and i've been wondering. Does anyone here know in what order i have to flash the bios?

Let's say the board i receive have 7C84v11 pre installed. Do i then have to flash it through 7C84v12 and then 7C84v13. Or can i directly download the version i have to use and install it straight away?

I'm coming from an Intel build, so i have no AM4 Cpu laying around. So i have to flash it through the port on the back with only PSU connected. I've read that the Flash bios button on the IO can be kind of funky. So i'd rather avoid bricking my board immediately.

3 minutes ago, Nillelack said:

Does anyone here know how i should update this motherboard? I'm going to run a Ryzen 7 5800x on it, and from what i can gather, i have to update to 7C84v14 for that CPU to be compatible 

I'm getting my new motherboard tomorrow and i've been wondering. Does anyone here know in what order i have to flash the bios?

I'm coming from an Intel build, so i have no AM4 Cpu laying around. So i have to flash it through the port on the back with only PSU connected. I've read that the Flash bios button on the IO can be kind of funky. So i'd rather avoid bricking my board immediately.

if the cpu you bought is new, you can go to amd for this program that gives you a free athlon 200ge to download new bios

5 minutes ago, Nillelack said:

No, you can install directly to the latest revision, you don't have to go in chronological order and just increases the chance of possibly bricking the motherboard; such as loss of power while updating, etc. Some motherboards allow you to update the BIOS without the CPU/Memory installed with the appropriate USB thumb drive with the BIOS on it in the proper USB port for flashing. 

7 minutes ago, Nillelack said:

I've read that the Flash bios button on the IO can be kind of funky.

Just follow and review the instructions in the owner's manual for the motherboard. If you are still unsure, MSI has some YT videos on how to update the BIOS, which I find to be more helpful. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, FakeFBI said:

if the cpu you bought is new, you can go to amd for this program that gives you a free athlon 200ge to download new bios

Yeah, i've heard that was an option, though i'm from Europe, so it might take some time having it shipped from the U.S to Europe.

I'd rather just flash it through the dedicated USB. I'm just confused in what order i have to flash in.

1 minute ago, Nillelack said:

Yeah, i've heard that was an option, though i'm from Europe, so it might take some time having it shipped from the U.S to Europe.

I'd rather just flash it through the dedicated USB. I'm just confused in what order i have to flash in.

orrr you can buy some athlon 200ge your self

EDIT: itll be good testing cpu in future if you have mobo problem

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Thanks, that was all i needed to know. Happy to hear i only have to flash to the latest revision. 

I guess that means i can download the latest 7C84v161 which is the latest driver for it.

I bought a 16GB USB 2.0 SanDisk stick, and i'll hope that will work with the MB.

Just now, Nillelack said:

Thanks, that was all i needed to know. Happy to hear i only have to flash to the latest revision. 

I guess that means i can download the latest 7C84v161 which is the latest driver for it.

I bought a 16GB USB 2.0 SanDisk stick, and i'll hope that will work with the MB.

No problem! 

Yeah you can just download the latest (make sure it is not a Beta BIOS, usually they will say in the name as they can cause stability issues). Its only a couple MB the BIOS and not a huge amount. I believe MSI wants the USB thumb drive to be formatted in FAT32 IIRC, owners manual will say for sure. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"