1200p footage in Adobe Premiere

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Both your sequence and export settings have to use square pixels, not just your export.

I record gameplay in 1920x1200, but when I edit down in Adobe Premiere the top and bottom ends up getting cut off. Without changing my monitor resolution to 1080p how can I prevent the cutoff? I'm completely fine with black bars on the sides of the video if it means that I can keep it in 1200p. I apologize if there is a really simple fix, I haven't been doing a lot of video stuff lately.

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

Just set up your project with a custom resolution?

Edit: Does this help?

487bc9747f72f884551c53f70e2affb9.pnga7f5ad0189b5c7fe2bf093fab136a8cd.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah that's perfect, thanks a lot!

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

I got the custom preset set up perfectly, but for some reason after I exported at 1080p there are black bars at the top and bottom as well. Image below is the final result screenshotted on a 1080p screen.

95zxneC.png

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

@Lifter-X79 @WoodenMarker is saying basically dont export it as 1080p but 1920x1200 at whatever frame rate you recorded it in. To present it in 1080p your either going to have to cut things off or add black bars as that is kinda what happens when you try to present the same image properly in a different aspect ratio.

I might have figured it out, it wasn't letting me increase the vertical resolution, so I had to increase the level (whatever that is). It's rendering right now at 1920x1200 so I'll edit this post with the results.

EDIT: It still has the black bars at the top and bottom, yet in the preview window in premiere the bars are not there.

I have to be missing something here, I just have no idea what it is.

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

I might have figured it out, it wasn't letting me increase the vertical resolution, so I had to increase the level (whatever that is). It's rendering right now at 1920x1200 so I'll edit this post with the results.

EDIT: It still has the black bars at the top and bottom, yet in the preview window in premiere the bars are not there.

I have to be missing something here, I just have no idea what it is.

Change your export settings.

e8002a4b92895832585d238e4fa8790a.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That's exactly what I did. It exported at that resolution, but still added black bars at the top and bottom.

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

That's exactly what I did. It exported at that resolution, but still added black bars at the top and bottom.

Ahh, make sure you're using Square pixels. 

98d3caddb4f994df45f594e4efb0a50b.png

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker 

I just tried square pixels and got the same result. I've included images of the export settings, and as you can see in the one with the output tab selected it shows the black bars at the top and bottom.

I exported it with those settings and the result was just like the output preview.

Gni1Uxr.png

D5dhBni.png

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

Both your sequence and export settings have to use square pixels, not just your export.

@WoodenMarker Thanks so much for your help, that fixed it. Can't believe I checked the sequence resolution but not the aspect ratio.

In need of an upgrade

Spoiler

yes nearly everything Digital will be square pixels. Exceptions would be DVDs and DV/HDV video. Which is a bit of analog/digitaly mashup in a way.