Planning a "Homelab" gaming setup

Preface / Plan: The reasoning behind this is that we run MacBooks and we both miss gaming so my thinking is that we can build a central gaming "server" and run 1 gaming vm each as well as get a central storage solution and game server hosting. The plan is to accumulate parts over time since we are in no rush and GPUs arn't available but i ran in to a small issue / oversight on my part, since the plan is use Proxmox and run GPU passthrough and a Ryzen cpu there is gpu left for Proxmox and the console. My questions to you are the following:

1. Will "GPU 3" be sufficient for console duty? will it work with the limited amount of PCI lanes?

2. Is the PSU sufficient? i know i cant go for the top of the line GPU's from Nvidia because of the power surges and thats not my goal we just want to be able to enjoy games without screaming laptops and lagg. 

3. Will i be able to run a m2 boot drive or should i go for SATA since we will be using 3 GPUs?

Budget (including currency): 30 000 SEK / 3 000 USD ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Starbound, Civ 6, Cities, minecraft, Proxmox, dev vms

Other details : 
Motherboard: ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

CPU Cooler: Noctua NHD15
Memory: 64GB Non buffered kingston ECC
Case: Corsair Crystal 680X
GPU 1: To be decided (leaning towards a 3060 or 6600)

GPU 2: AMD RX 580 (we already own this)

GPU 3: ASUS GeForce GT710 1GB (for Proxmox)

Boot SDD: 250GB Samsung M2 if possible otherwise a samsung 2,5 sata

PSU: corsair 1000w should do the trick

Mass Storage: 3x Seagate 2TB raid 5

Router: Cisco RV345

Hypervisor: Proxmox VE

5 hours ago, Sepe421 said:

Preface / Plan: The reasoning behind this is that we run MacBooks and we both miss gaming so my thinking is that we can build a central gaming "server" and run 1 gaming vm each as well as get a central storage solution and game server hosting. The plan is to accumulate parts over time since we are in no rush and GPUs arn't available but i ran in to a small issue / oversight on my part, since the plan is use Proxmox and run GPU passthrough and a Ryzen cpu there is gpu left for Proxmox and the console. My questions to you are the following:

1. Will "GPU 3" be sufficient for console duty? will it work with the limited amount of PCI lanes?

2. Is the PSU sufficient? i know i cant go for the top of the line GPU's from Nvidia because of the power surges and thats not my goal we just want to be able to enjoy games without screaming laptops and lagg. 

3. Will i be able to run a m2 boot drive or should i go for SATA since we will be using 3 GPUs?

Budget (including currency): 30 000 SEK / 3 000 USD ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Starbound, Civ 6, Cities, minecraft, Proxmox, dev vms

Other details : 
Motherboard: ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

CPU Cooler: Noctua NHD15
Memory: 64GB Non buffered kingston ECC
Case: Corsair Crystal 680X
GPU 1: To be decided (leaning towards a 3060 or 6600)

GPU 2: AMD RX 580 (we already own this)

GPU 3: ASUS GeForce GT710 1GB (for Proxmox)

Boot SDD: 250GB Samsung M2 if possible otherwise a samsung 2,5 sata

PSU: corsair 1000w should do the trick

Mass Storage: 3x Seagate 2TB raid 5

Router: Cisco RV345

Hypervisor: Proxmox VE

you cannot go with a 710 or 580 unless you have to, you will be leaving performance on the table with a 5950x, so go with a 3080 or a cheaper 3090 if you can, a 3060 is good with a 5600x and the 6600 has not even been announced, other then that, go with an m.2 for boot, but id go with a 500gb so your more crucial apps are faster to use

Don’t take everything I say seriously 

take it with a grain of s a l t

1 hour ago, tire said:

you cannot go with a 710 or 580 unless you have to, you will be leaving performance on the table with a 5950x, so go with a 3080 or a cheaper 3090 if you can, a 3060 is good with a 5600x and the 6600 has not even been announced, other then that, go with an m.2 for boot, but id go with a 500gb so your more crucial apps are faster to use

I'm sorry but i think you misunderstand this setup or i didn't explain it well enough, I will be running Proxmox as a hypervisor and from there at least 2 windows vms (virtual machines) and 1 linux vm. The 2 windows vms will each have a dedicated gpu so vm 1 will use GPU 1, vm 2 - GPU 2 and the third GPU will be so that the hypervisor (Proxmox) have something to use for the other vms and the console function. This is also the reason for such an overkill CPU so i can have multiple machines running parallel with no worries. going for a 3080/3090 is complete overkill and to be honest to expensive, i much rather have more ram or more cores to host more vms then FPS.

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, Sepe421 said:

I'm sorry but i think you misunderstand this setup or i didn't explain it well enough, I will be running Proxmox as a hypervisor and from there at least 2 windows vms (virtual machines) and 1 linux vm. The 2 windows vms will each have a dedicated gpu so vm 1 will use GPU 1, vm 2 - GPU 2 and the third GPU will be so that the hypervisor (Proxmox) have something to use for the other vms and the console function. This is also the reason for such an overkill CPU so i can have multiple machines running parallel with no worries. going for a 3080/3090 is complete overkill and to be honest to expensive, i much rather have more ram or more cores to host more vms then FPS.

Hello Did you managed to prgoress this ? 

I am considering same setup but with a X570 Chipset