Video editing machine for my dad

Budget (including currency): Open

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing and Youtube uploading

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Alright guys.  My dad has a dvd player and a vcr.  He would like to digitize all videos we have from the early 80s to the present and upload it to youtube for family and friends to see.  I understand he will definitely need a video capture card or dongle.  What do you guys recommend and what software.

Second, what system requirements would be good.  Keep in mind these are old videos from 20-40 years ago and are not in high res.  So a 32 core machine will not be essential.

Anyways what I can give him is my old i5 4690K with 32GB ddr3.  I have a 240gb ssd and a 1tb platter to give him.  I guess he can capture the video and do whatever encoding to upload it to youtube.

Given the hardware specs I have to give him, how long would it take to encode say a 60 min 480p video to mp4 for Youtube upload.

If the machine is above is insufficient, please put together what you think will work best for the buck.

This is the first time I'm doing this and I'll be helping a man in his 70s to get this done so all the guidance will be appreciated 😁

27 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing and Youtube uploading

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Alright guys.  My dad has a dvd player and a vcr.  He would like to digitize all videos we have from the early 80s to the present and upload it to youtube for family and friends to see.  I understand he will definitely need a video capture card or dongle.  What do you guys recommend and what software.

Second, what system requirements would be good.  Keep in mind these are old videos from 20-40 years ago and are not in high res.  So a 32 core machine will not be essential.

Anyways what I can give him is my old i5 4690K with 32GB ddr3.  I have a 240gb ssd and a 1tb platter to give him.  I guess he can capture the video and do whatever encoding to upload it to youtube.

Given the hardware specs I have to give him, how long would it take to encode say a 60 min 480p video to mp4 for Youtube upload.

If the machine is above is insufficient, please put together what you think will work best for the buck.

This is the first time I'm doing this and I'll be helping a man in his 70s to get this done so all the guidance will be appreciated 😁

A 4690k is probably enough for 480p editing if the effects are not super heavy.

In terms of export times, for 720p 30 it seems to be around 1 playback minute: 2.4 exporting minutes, so that would be around 2 and a half hours for 720p, however 480p should be significantly faster.

13 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

A 4690k is probably enough for 480p editing if the effects are not super heavy.

In terms of export times, for 720p 30 it seems to be around 1 playback minute: 2.4 exporting minutes, so that would be around 2 and a half hours for 720p, however 480p should be significantly faster.

Thanks.  What software do you recommend?

2 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

I don't know video editing software that well myself, however I'm sure that someone else on the forum can help you.

27 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

I'm just a beginner editor not a pro or enthusiast by any means and my program is not really super professional grade (I make my edits for fun), but I have used Shotcut and love it. All I had to do was watch a 30 ish minute tutorial and I was up and running with a decent knowledge of the program. Also, 720P Editing was a breeze with my previous processor (i5 2400) so I'm sure a 4690K would be great for it at 720 and perhaps 1080P for beginner editing

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Just to make sure, you have an analog to digital converter, or analog capture card, right?
VCRs do not output HDMI, and beware of the simple $10-15 USB ones as they often have problems or don't work entirely.

elephants

Don't try to capture VHS (or Video8, Hi8, etc) beyond 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). You'll make a mess, and quality quickly tanks. 

Don't use OBS. That's streaming screen recording software -- not analog capture software. For analog capture, use VirtualDub. That will give you the native 720x480 (max) interlaced 4:2:2 quality off the tape.

After capture, you can deinterlace (preferably something quality like QTGMC, using the GUI Hybrid). If you insist, also upscale from there. 

All capturing workflows require 3 basic items: VCR, some form of TBC, and capture card.

- for VCR, S-VHS with line TBC are ideal

- for capture card, don't buy HDMI or "gamer" cards, avoid cheap Easycap or Elgato devices.

- for the TBC, you can sometimes squeak by with an ES10 or ES15, but it's not a true TBC. Trying to capture without any TBC will give you nothing but headaches, as the analog input is not stable. Not visual quality, but signal quality. You'll have dropped frames, audio sync issues, etc.

It's not an easy process (no reading), and has a slight learning curve.

I've discussed this more in depth at other video-related sites online.

For more AV advice, find me at The Digital FAQ forums.

1 hour ago, lordsmurf said:

Don't try to capture VHS (or Video8, Hi8, etc) beyond 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). You'll make a mess, and quality quickly tanks. 

Don't use OBS. That's streaming screen recording software -- not analog capture software. For analog capture, use VirtualDub. That will give you the native 720x480 (max) interlaced 4:2:2 quality off the tape.

After capture, you can deinterlace (preferably something quality like QTGMC, using the GUI Hybrid). If you insist, also upscale from there. 

All capturing workflows require 3 basic items: VCR, some form of TBC, and capture card.

- for VCR, S-VHS with line TBC are ideal

- for capture card, don't buy HDMI or "gamer" cards, avoid cheap Easycap or Elgato devices.

- for the TBC, you can sometimes squeak by with an ES10 or ES15, but it's not a true TBC. Trying to capture without any TBC will give you nothing but headaches, as the analog input is not stable. Not visual quality, but signal quality. You'll have dropped frames, audio sync issues, etc.

It's not an easy process (no reading), and has a slight learning curve.

I've discussed this more in depth at other video-related sites online.

Wow.  Looks like it's easier to get a tripod, mount my phone in front of the tv and record from the screen.  LOL

That would be worse quality, and equally complicated.

Capturing video isn't as simple as slamming a tape into a VCR, and pressing the "go" button. But it's also not something where you'll need an advanced math degree (because at the core, video is math).

It simply requires some reading, and some investment into the right tools. If you randomly buy stuff, you'll end up with overpriced crap, (I was watching on of Linus' videos earlier, about computer gear, and that was essentially his warning as well. Research, not blind buying, or "YOLO'ing" as the kiddies now say. That's how you piss away money AND don't accomplish your goals.)

Certain sites online (NOT Youtube!) go over this process step by step, and also have user forums for Q&A.

For more AV advice, find me at The Digital FAQ forums.