Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Video editing machine for my dad

Budget (including currency): Open

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing and Youtube uploading

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Alright guys.  My dad has a dvd player and a vcr.  He would like to digitize all videos we have from the early 80s to the present and upload it to youtube for family and friends to see.  I understand he will definitely need a video capture card or dongle.  What do you guys recommend and what software.

 

Second, what system requirements would be good.  Keep in mind these are old videos from 20-40 years ago and are not in high res.  So a 32 core machine will not be essential.

 

Anyways what I can give him is my old i5 4690K with 32GB ddr3.  I have a 240gb ssd and a 1tb platter to give him.  I guess he can capture the video and do whatever encoding to upload it to youtube.

Given the hardware specs I have to give him, how long would it take to encode say a 60 min 480p video to mp4 for Youtube upload.

 

If the machine is above is insufficient, please put together what you think will work best for the buck.

 

This is the first time I'm doing this and I'll be helping a man in his 70s to get this done so all the guidance will be appreciated 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Budget (including currency): Open

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing and Youtube uploading

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Alright guys.  My dad has a dvd player and a vcr.  He would like to digitize all videos we have from the early 80s to the present and upload it to youtube for family and friends to see.  I understand he will definitely need a video capture card or dongle.  What do you guys recommend and what software.

 

Second, what system requirements would be good.  Keep in mind these are old videos from 20-40 years ago and are not in high res.  So a 32 core machine will not be essential.

 

Anyways what I can give him is my old i5 4690K with 32GB ddr3.  I have a 240gb ssd and a 1tb platter to give him.  I guess he can capture the video and do whatever encoding to upload it to youtube.

Given the hardware specs I have to give him, how long would it take to encode say a 60 min 480p video to mp4 for Youtube upload.

 

If the machine is above is insufficient, please put together what you think will work best for the buck.

 

This is the first time I'm doing this and I'll be helping a man in his 70s to get this done so all the guidance will be appreciated 😁

A 4690k is probably enough for 480p editing if the effects are not super heavy.

In terms of export times, for 720p 30 it seems to be around 1 playback minute: 2.4 exporting minutes, so that would be around 2 and a half hours for 720p, however 480p should be significantly faster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, curiousmind34 said:

A 4690k is probably enough for 480p editing if the effects are not super heavy.

In terms of export times, for 720p 30 it seems to be around 1 playback minute: 2.4 exporting minutes, so that would be around 2 and a half hours for 720p, however 480p should be significantly faster.

Thanks.  What software do you recommend?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Thanks.  What software do you recommend?

I don't know video editing software that well myself, however I'm sure that someone else on the forum can help you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Thanks.  What software do you recommend?

I'm just a beginner editor not a pro or enthusiast by any means and my program is not really super professional grade (I make my edits for fun), but I have used Shotcut and love it. All I had to do was watch a 30 ish minute tutorial and I was up and running with a decent knowledge of the program. Also, 720P Editing was a breeze with my previous processor (i5 2400) so I'm sure a 4690K would be great for it at 720 and perhaps 1080P for beginner editing

NOT A PROFESSIONAL, just a tech nerd. I am a human and can be incorrect. if i helped pls leave a reaction so i know i am helping

Main Setup
PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 CPU - $85, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue CPU Cooler - $25, Biostar B450MH AM4 Motherboard - $65, Timetec 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 RAM - $60, Adata SU650 240GB M.2 SSD - $30, WD Caviar Blue 250GB 7200RPM HDD - $20, Seagate Barracuda  320GB 7200RPM HDD - $20, MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB GPU - $200, Cougar MG130G Micro-ATX Case - $50, Aresgame AGK750 Fully Modular 80+ Gold PSU - $90, HP 22EB 21.5" 1080P 60Hz Monitor - $100, Samsung 21.5" 2S22E450D 1080P 60Hz Monitor - $90, Sceptre E205-W 19.5" 1600-3R 900P 75Hz Monitor - $70, GK73X Hot-Swappable Mechanical Keyboard (Gateron Red Switches) - $70, HK Gaming Dye Sub Chalk Keycaps - $40, Steelseries Rival 3 Mouse - $30, Redragon Mouse Pad - Came with bundle, Random XXL Amazon Mouse Pad - $10, Widesen USB Condenser Mic - $20, Gertisan Mic Arm - $12 (adapter needed, + $4), OneOdio Over Ear Headphones - $33

Rack Project PC (1)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU - $25, Vetroo L5 CPU Cooler - $30, Dell Optiplex 390 LGA 1155 Motherboard - $15, G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8) 1866MHz CL10 DDR3 RAM  - $50, Leven 120GB 2.5" SSD - $22, MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1050 TI 4GB - $150, Segotep GP 600W Non-Modular 80+ Gold PSU - $52, Redragon S107 Keyboard + Mouse - $30

"I had the parts lying around" PC

Spoiler

AMD A8-4555M CPU, "Stock" Cooler, Coinmine ITX Motherboard - ($Total of 3=$35), 8GB (2x4) Hynix 1333MHz CLsomething DDR3 SODIMM RAM - $22, HP 120GB 2.5" SSD - $203, AMD Radeon 7600G Graphics - Integrated into CPU, EVGA N1 400W Non-Modular PSU - $40, InWin 303 (Yes, I know its a ridiculously expensive and high end case for this type of build. I got one for free and had it lying around.)

Rack Project PC (2)

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-2400 CPU - $25, Enermax ETS-N31 CPU Cooler - $25, Dell Optiplex 390 LGA 1155 Motherboard - $15, 8GB (2x4) Hynix 1600MHz CL11 DDR3 RAM - $30, Leven 120GB 2.5" SSD - $22, Intel HD 2000 Graphics - Integrated into CPU, Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W Non-Modular 80+ PSU - $50

Other parts I have lying around

Spoiler

3 Dell Optiplex Stock Coolers (1 broken), Cooler Master T2 Cooler, Intel Stock Cooler, Replace Power 420W PSU, Broken FX-8350, Broken Asrock 970 Motherboard, 2x4GB DDR3 RAM 1333MHz

Dell Inspiron 15-3575 Laptop

Spoiler

Intel Celeron N4000 CPU, 4GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Activated 64 Bit, 500GB HDD, Intel UHD 600 Graphics

Gateway Vintage Laptop from 2006 probably

Spoiler

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500, 3GB RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium Activated 32 Bit, 250GB HDD, Intel 965 Graphics

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doug_Dangger said:

Budget (including currency): Open

Country: USA

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Video editing and Youtube uploading

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

 

Alright guys.  My dad has a dvd player and a vcr.  He would like to digitize all videos we have from the early 80s to the present and upload it to youtube for family and friends to see.  I understand he will definitely need a video capture card or dongle.  What do you guys recommend and what software.

 

Second, what system requirements would be good.  Keep in mind these are old videos from 20-40 years ago and are not in high res.  So a 32 core machine will not be essential.

 

Anyways what I can give him is my old i5 4690K with 32GB ddr3.  I have a 240gb ssd and a 1tb platter to give him.  I guess he can capture the video and do whatever encoding to upload it to youtube.

Given the hardware specs I have to give him, how long would it take to encode say a 60 min 480p video to mp4 for Youtube upload.

 

If the machine is above is insufficient, please put together what you think will work best for the buck.

 

This is the first time I'm doing this and I'll be helping a man in his 70s to get this done so all the guidance will be appreciated 😁

Just to make sure, you have an analog to digital converter, or analog capture card, right?
VCRs do not output HDMI, and beware of the simple $10-15 USB ones as they often have problems or don't work entirely.

I am currently annoyed at Apple for making a stupid incompatibility between their iMac G5 ALS 1.8 GHz and iMac G5 ALS 2 GHz logic board models.

820-1540-A, while the same form factor (and is 95% compatible) does not work interchangeably with 820-1747-A because one has pins and one has pin sockets.

Blarg.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't try to capture VHS (or Video8, Hi8, etc) beyond 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). You'll make a mess, and quality quickly tanks. 

 

Don't use OBS. That's streaming screen recording software -- not analog capture software. For analog capture, use VirtualDub. That will give you the native 720x480 (max) interlaced 4:2:2 quality off the tape.

 

After capture, you can deinterlace (preferably something quality like QTGMC, using the GUI Hybrid). If you insist, also upscale from there. 

 

All capturing workflows require 3 basic items: VCR, some form of TBC, and capture card.

- for VCR, S-VHS with line TBC are ideal

- for capture card, don't buy HDMI or "gamer" cards, avoid cheap Easycap or Elgato devices.

- for the TBC, you can sometimes squeak by with an ES10 or ES15, but it's not a true TBC. Trying to capture without any TBC will give you nothing but headaches, as the analog input is not stable. Not visual quality, but signal quality. You'll have dropped frames, audio sync issues, etc.

 

It's not an easy process (no reading), and has a slight learning curve.

 

I've discussed this more in depth at other video-related sites online.

For more AV advice, find me at The Digital FAQ forums.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lordsmurf said:

Don't try to capture VHS (or Video8, Hi8, etc) beyond 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL). You'll make a mess, and quality quickly tanks. 

 

Don't use OBS. That's streaming screen recording software -- not analog capture software. For analog capture, use VirtualDub. That will give you the native 720x480 (max) interlaced 4:2:2 quality off the tape.

 

After capture, you can deinterlace (preferably something quality like QTGMC, using the GUI Hybrid). If you insist, also upscale from there. 

 

All capturing workflows require 3 basic items: VCR, some form of TBC, and capture card.

- for VCR, S-VHS with line TBC are ideal

- for capture card, don't buy HDMI or "gamer" cards, avoid cheap Easycap or Elgato devices.

- for the TBC, you can sometimes squeak by with an ES10 or ES15, but it's not a true TBC. Trying to capture without any TBC will give you nothing but headaches, as the analog input is not stable. Not visual quality, but signal quality. You'll have dropped frames, audio sync issues, etc.

 

It's not an easy process (no reading), and has a slight learning curve.

 

I've discussed this more in depth at other video-related sites online.

Wow.  Looks like it's easier to get a tripod, mount my phone in front of the tv and record from the screen.  LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be worse quality, and equally complicated.


Capturing video isn't as simple as slamming a tape into a VCR, and pressing the "go" button. But it's also not something where you'll need an advanced math degree (because at the core, video is math).

 

It simply requires some reading, and some investment into the right tools. If you randomly buy stuff, you'll end up with overpriced crap, (I was watching on of Linus' videos earlier, about computer gear, and that was essentially his warning as well. Research, not blind buying, or "YOLO'ing" as the kiddies now say. That's how you piss away money AND don't accomplish your goals.)

 

Certain sites online (NOT Youtube!) go over this process step by step, and also have user forums for Q&A.

 

For more AV advice, find me at The Digital FAQ forums.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×