Xeon W3680 and Windows 10 Pro.

Hi, my current system is...

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV2) (Bios Version FH)

18GB DDR3 Corsair ram

Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

240gb Maxtor Z1 SSD

1 TB  Western Digital 

Windows 10 Pro (20H2)

I have just bought an Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.33Ghz mainly because it was fairly cheap for a 6 core processor and I have read that they overclock really well. I've never overclocked any of my machines before and thought I would give it a go.

I have just read that Windows 10 does not support Xeon processors (unless you buy the Pro Workstation version). I cannot get clarification anywhere that my new (to me) processor will work in my current system when it arrives!!

Does anyone have any experience with this? AFAIK the W3680 is just a binned i7 980 with ECC turned on. If so I cannot see any reason why it would not work, does anyone know any different?

TIA

Windows 10 works on xeons cpu. Xeons cpu are just normal i7 with features unlocked.

Check the motherboard cpu support, if it supports it you're in luck.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Hi SupaKomputa,

My board supports the processor, I'm not worried about that but Microsoft are saying...

"[1] Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only"

Windows Processor Requirements | Microsoft Docs

There are several other articles out there saying you need to upgrade to the Workstation version (£150 In the Microsoft store). 

"Windows 10 works on xeons cpu. Xeons cpu are just normal i7 with features unlocked." This is what my understanding is but I was wondering if being a Xeon I would run into issues with Win 10.

Thanks for replying!! ;O)

image.thumb.png.d0835dc8f0da35be30216b3ee986b847.png

Looks like Microsoft doesn't care about the CPU, just the specs of it.

also... says nothing here:

How to Check Windows 10 Computer System Specs & Requirements - Microsoft

image.png.859dd23d7e7546a70388d37ca9770aaf.png

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

15 minutes ago, Alsajosora said:

Hi SupaKomputa,

My board supports the processor, I'm not worried about that but Microsoft are saying...

"[1] Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only"

Windows Processor Requirements | Microsoft Docs

There are several other articles out there saying you need to upgrade to the Workstation version (£150 In the Microsoft store). 

"Windows 10 works on xeons cpu. Xeons cpu are just normal i7 with features unlocked." This is what my understanding is but I was wondering if being a Xeon I would run into issues with Win 10.

Thanks for replying!! ;O)

False information really. How do I know? Been doing these kinds of systems for a decade and a x86 cpu is a x86 cpu for windows doesn't really care otherwise. Also x5650 in my partners livingroom system on a asus rampage x58 oc'd to some stupid degree with windows 10 home.

40 minutes ago, Alsajosora said:

Hi, my current system is...

Intel i7 960 @ 3.2GHz

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (REV2) (Bios Version FH)

18GB DDR3 Corsair ram

Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti 4GB

240gb Maxtor Z1 SSD

1 TB  Western Digital 

Windows 10 Pro (20H2)

I have just bought an Intel Xeon W3680 @ 3.33Ghz mainly because it was fairly cheap for a 6 core processor and I have read that they overclock really well. I've never overclocked any of my machines before and thought I would give it a go.

I have just read that Windows 10 does not support Xeon processors (unless you buy the Pro Workstation version). I cannot get clarification anywhere that my new (to me) processor will work in my current system when it arrives!!

Does anyone have any experience with this? AFAIK the W3680 is just a binned i7 980 with ECC turned on. If so I cannot see any reason why it would not work, does anyone know any different?

TIA

It probably just says to use pro windows because the people who bought it 10 years ago used it in actual servers. Any version of a normal windows 10 install will work though, so you don’t have to worry.

Many thanks Guys,

It looks a little more promising now.