CSGO Underutilizing CPU and GPU

rossi94

Hello everybody,

I am trying to get more fps in cs go to reduce total system latency and keep the 1% lows above the 240hz of my monitor. (I am aiming for 400-600 fps).

Currently I am still running a gtx 970 (wounder why ...) with display port 1.2 which can't handle 1440p at 240hz. I will be upgrading my GPU, when prices somewhat normalize (I hope intels DGP2 or a crypto will help me out.)

I am currently GPU limited at 1440p, if I test at 720p neither my GPU nor a single core of my i5-8600k are loaded fully. 

Could ram speed be the limiting factor?

Every rig is different, but you pretty much have to run at low settings to get above 400 FPS with that card, at least at 1440p. It's a bit more manageable at 1080p, but you're only going to be able to do medium or maybe high. At something like 1440p Ultra you can't even really pull over 200, let alone 240. And, mind you that's all max. Your 1% lows are going to be, well, lower.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

[deleted]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

Thank you Chris,

but I am not running at ultra. I am running competitive settings.

I am having the same fps on 1280x720 as I do on 1560x1440 and none of my CPU cores is even close to a 100% peak load. What is holding me down?

I am between 250 and 350 fps right now on 1440p.

1 hour ago, rossi94 said:

Thank you Chris,

but I am not running at ultra. I am running competitive settings.

I am having the same fps on 1280x720 as I do on 1560x1440 and none of my CPU cores is even close to a 100% peak load. What is holding me down?

Lowering resolution=more strain on CPU and less work for GPU

Upping resolution and graphics settings=more load on the GPU and less on the CPU.

For example I have an Rx 580 and r3 1200 in battlefield 5.

Battlefield takes up a lot of the CPU and less GPU so when I lower the resolution I lose frames ,and upping the resolution I gain frames because I give more breathing room to the CPU .

This means it is normal for your CPU to be underutilized,it simply doesn't have anything to do ,do not worry,you are not losing any frames,this seems normal.

31 minutes ago, Cheburek said:

Lowering resolution=more strain on CPU and less work for GPU

Upping resolution and graphics settings=more load on the GPU and less on the CPU.

For example I have an Rx 580 and r3 1200 in battlefield 5.

Battlefield takes up a lot of the CPU and less GPU so when I lower the resolution I lose frames ,and upping the resolution I gain frames because I give more breathing room to the CPU .

This means it is normal for your CPU to be underutilized,it simply doesn't have anything to do ,do not worry,you are not losing any frames,this seems normal.

Thanks for chiming in. I am only GPU bottlenecked on 1440p in my 720p testing my cpu was at 40-50% load and my highest spikes on individual cpu cores were about 80%.

If I was only GPU bottlenecked shouldn't I have higher fps on 1440x720 (720p).

3 hours ago, rossi94 said:

Thanks for chiming in. I am only GPU bottlenecked on 1440p in my 720p testing my cpu was at 40-50% load and my highest spikes on individual cpu cores were about 80%.

If I was only GPU bottlenecked shouldn't I have higher fps on 1440x720 (720p).

You are not CPU bottlenecked,the system is very well balanced.

I'm confused as well https://youtu.be/7-UNU_S_mGA this video shows you can indeed hit 400 FPS,thing is CSGO gets worse and worse performance with updates so I'm not surprised if it was one random patch somewhere between 2019 and now that broke performance.

I will oc my ram and cpu and turn down the resolution again and see what happens. I also optimized network settings, if the nic is offloading to cpu that could delay rendering of new frames.