Correct settings for fans - MSI X570 Tomahawk Wifi, Ryzen 5600x, CM TD500Mesh

v1shnu

Hi, I just built my first rig with the following specs

• Motherboard: MSI x570 tomahawk wifi.
  • CPU: Ryzen 5600x
  • Case: Coolermaster TD500 comes with 3 fans at the front.

I also have one exhaust fan that I bought separately. So what I've done is connected the Stock CPU Cooler fan to the CPU fan header, the rear exhaust fan to the CPU PUMP header (PWM), and the 3 case fans connected together into a single connector (It had 3 pins only) and connected to the SYS fan header (DC).

Here are the details of my PC:

Fan Connections:

• Stock Cooler - CPU_FAN Header - PWM
  • Exhaust Fan (1 nos) - PUMP_FAN Header - PWM
  • Case Fan - Intake (3 nos) - SYS_FAN_1 Header - DC (All 3 fans are connected using a connector and connected to a single header)

CPU Temparature:

• Idle: 52-55C
  • Browsing: 55C-60C
  • Gaming: 70-75C
  • Full Load: 80-85C

Fan RPM's (At normal load):

• CPU Fan: 2106 RPM
  • CHIPSET: 5252 RPM
  • PUMP: 1831RPM
  • SYS FAN: 331 RPM

I've set all of them to Smart Fan Mode. Please check the attached images for my fan curves.

Problems:

1. Case fans are not running at the full speed and are always slow. (RPM's are only 300 RPM). Even after setting them in BIOS, I can see they are running very slow in the DragonCenter software.
  2. Chipset fan is always running at 5000 RPM.
  3. Exhaust and CPU Fan are running always

My questions are:

• Are my CPU temps normal ?
  • Are my fan connections normal ?
  • Are the FAN RPM's normal ?
  • Are my FAN curves correct ? (Please check attached images for current settings.)
  • Are my FAN Temperature Sources correct ?
  • Do I need a separate cooler ? (Currently not overclocking. Running everything in stock settings)

Please help me with this.

MSI_SnapShot_03.bmp MSI_SnapShot_00.bmp MSI_SnapShot_01.bmp MSI_SnapShot_02.bmp

*** Thread cleaned ***

Also fixed formatting.

What is the actual question here? IIRC MSI has bit limited fan controls for 3pin fans, having them at 60% minimum. Are you asking better way to control fans, whats wrong with current fan control or something else? Using basic setups, fans should be at low rpms until CPU hits certain threshold.

Can you post picture of your fan curves? Also, you should run some heavier to test how fans react. You can't really harm anything since PC will shutdown or throttle when overheating.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 4/6/2021 at 12:24 AM, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Also fixed formatting.

What is the actual question here? IIRC MSI has bit limited fan controls for 3pin fans, having them at 60% minimum. Are you asking better way to control fans, whats wrong with current fan control or something else? Using basic setups, fans should be at low rpms until CPU hits certain threshold.

Can you post picture of your fan curves? Also, you should run some heavier to test how fans react. You can't really harm anything since PC will shutdown or throttle when overheating.

First of all, thanks for helping with the formatting.

I've edited my post to better convey what I'm looking for.

On 4/3/2021 at 6:07 PM, v1shnu said:

My questions are:

• Are my CPU temps normal ?

For stock cooler, yes.

• Are my fan connections normal ?

Yes. There's no such thing as not normal. If fans are connected, everything is fine.

• Are the FAN RPM's normal ?

Kinda. I'm not used to way MSI makes that graph/curve thing. Its bit hard to read. But for the most part fans seem to be normal. I assume chipset fan in small, built-in fan on mobo, so that would be normal too. The sysfan rpms show to be 800rpm in one of the screenshots while idle. So if you see them at 300rpm on load, there's probably software issue.

• Are my FAN curves correct ? (Please check attached images for current settings.)

Chipset fan is only which you might want to change to use Chipset as source and then adjusting curve according to that.

• Are my FAN Temperature Sources correct ?

Chipset should probably be chipset. Rest is fine.

• Do I need a separate cooler ? (Currently not overclocking. Running everything in stock settings)

Main reasons for getting aftermarket coolers are performance and noise. If you don't have issue with those, then its not needed at this moment.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks for answering all my questions @LogicalDrm. I don't have any issues with the noise or performance for now. So I might defer getting the aftermarket coolers later then.

About the fan curves, its just that each point in the graph corresponds to each entry on the right. I changed them a bit here and there so that all the fans are running at any point of time. Not sure if that's how normally fans are supposed to be configured or not.

Also, I'm from India which is a very hot place where normal room temperatures are between 27-34C throughout the day during summer and 20-25C during winters.