Unpopular opinion: Rocket Lake Is Fine

7 minutes ago, yenic said:

The 11900K is Intel validated for DDR4-3200 Gear 1 (i7 and i5 are just not official), and it has Adaptive Boost. At $540 USD it runs up against the 5900X though, and there's good reasons why many of us have 5900Xs today. It seems unlikely that at 14nm that Adaptive Boost will really get to stretch its legs. AB on the 11900K is probably basically a test run for it on 10nm where things will get interesting.

Staying in theme with this thread, I didn't find any of Intel's 9th-11th gen CPUs appealing at all. It's not just Rocket Lake. That said, as I've tried to show through my Zen3 woes, Intel has value it just isn't showing up on benchmark charts right now. If I'm in the market for an 8-core CPU though, it'd be foolish to outright dismiss the 11700K over the 5800X. If it's me building a 6-8 core rig, I'm going with Intel. It's hard to deny the 5600X and 5900X. 6-core for gaming, 12/16 core for work. That said, I wish didn't have my 5900X, I should've bought an 8700K when those were released and stuck with it till Alder Lake or later. My next build will be Intel, just be nice if they can get on top again before then. I fussed with AMD around 2000 on socket-A, and had multiple Athlon rigs.. had a Yorkville Q9450 that was amazing in comparison, then as dumb as could be, that great experience failed to mold me into a Intel fanboy. That's how it's supposed to work. If a company does right by you for your money, you should keep giving it to them. Fanboyism exists for good reason. I came back to warm my hands at AMD's dumpster fire again like a moron. I can't just build it and forget it, has to become a full-time job.

Me I’ll go with whatever is a better value at the time.  I’m also looking real hard at 8 core. I don’t need blazing single core though.  A 3700x would probably be fine. I might to 9800, 10700, or 11700 though.  Depends on what is available at what price.  They’re all effectively the same for my purposes.  All I have to do is comfortably beat an OCed 2700x. Anything more than that doesn’t matter a whole lot to me.  Might even do a 4xxxX “engineering sample” apu for that matter.  That would work too. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 hours ago, yenic said:

General multicore. Looking at benchmarks, they're all over the place. The 11900K can beat the 10950K, and vice versa. It's hard to tell which is the better buy because Sunny Cove has significant IPC uplift, and 10th gen only had 2 more cores. Not very clear cut.

This is to be expected. Different loads react differently to different configurations, which is why I suggested to focus on those which are most important to you. You're not going to find one that is best at everything.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible