Weirdly long power on

Rainbrew
Go to solution Solved by Rainbrew,
On 4/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, Seban said:

modern hardware everybody

Sorry for pinging again, I have another update! This was a very weird one, I set out to discover why my rear I/O shield was slightly bent and noticed that it was snagging on the Bios flashback button on the motherboard. I have no clue how this passed quality control at Asus, but it did and because of the button being permanently pressed in it delayed the PC turn on (sometimes). After some gentle persuasion (drill) I made the hole slightly bigger for the button to fit without touching it and now the whole thing boots instantly!

Hi everyone, I completed my new pc build a day or two ago and everything works swimmingly! I've run benchmarks for days, dialed in the CPU with CTR 2.0 and am really enjoying my upgrade. One issue though, for whatever reason it takes a few seconds after pressing the power button for the PC to turn on and I'm not sure what's causing it. It's not a random amount of time it's always <5s or so. Is it just a matter of the power supply? I know that it switches to some alternate mode with an audible click when I power off so maybe it's connected to that? Can't find anything about this in the bios.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x

Asus TUF Gaming x570 Pro (Wifi)

32gb ddr4 3600mhz ram

Windows running on m.2 ssd 

Rm750x PSU

Gtx 1060 6gb GPU

The board could be waiting on the Vbios. 

If fast boot is disabled, the board will run a full self check that also takes a little longer to post.

10 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Hi everyone, I completed my new pc build a day or two ago and everything works swimmingly! I've run benchmarks for days, dialed in the CPU with CTR 2.0 and am really enjoying my upgrade. One issue though, for whatever reason it takes a few seconds after pressing the power button for the PC to turn on and I'm not sure what's causing it. It's not a random amount of time it's always <5s or so. Is it just a matter of the power supply? I know that it switches to some alternate mode with an audible click when I power off so maybe it's connected to that? Can't find anything about this in the bios.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 5800x

Asus TUF Gaming x570 Pro (Wifi)

32gb ddr4 3600mhz ram

Windows running on m.2 ssd 

Rm750x PSU

Gtx 1060 6gb GPU

Look for S4 and S5 deep sleep option in your UEFI, and turn it off.

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The board could be waiting on the Vbios. 

If fast boot is disabled, the board will run a full self check that also takes a little longer to post.

I double checked and fast boot is on by default so it can't be that :/.

12 minutes ago, Seban said:

Look for S4 and S5 deep sleep option in your UEFI, and turn it off.

I can't find any options like that, the only thing I found is under Advanced/APM configuration where it's mentioned under the ErP Ready thing (it's set to disabled).

Just now, Rainbrew said:

I double checked and fast boot is on by default so it can't be that :/.

I can't find any options like that, the only thing I found is under Advanced/APM configuration where it's mentioned under the ErP Ready thing (it's set to disabled).

What's your motherboard?

Just now, Seban said:

What's your motherboard?

I think I wrote it in my specs but it's an Asus Tuf Gaming x570 pro (wifi)

Just now, Rainbrew said:

I think I wrote it in my specs but it's an Asus Tuf Gaming x570 pro (wifi)

oh my bad.. lmao

Yeah, the ErP ready thing is basically the S4&S5 Deep sleep option, and since it's disabled, it cant be that.

I think this is how your specific computer is supposed to work though, maybe a BIOS update could fix that (quite possibly)? But i don't think its that necessary to fix. 

4 minutes ago, Seban said:

What's your motherboard?

I also found S5 mentioned under USB power delivery in soft off state but I don't know if that's connected to powering on at all.

1 minute ago, Seban said:

oh my bad.. lmao

Yeah, the ErP ready thing is basically the S4&S5 Deep sleep option, and since it's disabled, it cant be that.

I think this is how your specific computer is supposed to work though, maybe a BIOS update could fix that (quite possibly)? But i don't think its that necessary to fix. 

I guess it's just a BIOS thing, I've already updated it so I guess it's just a quirk of the system. Thanks for your help!

No problem

-Renata Bliss

17 hours ago, Seban said:

No problem

-Renata Bliss

Just a quick update, the problem randomly fixed itself for no reason without me doing anything at all!

24 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Just a quick update, the problem randomly fixed itself for no reason without me doing anything at all!

On 4/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, Seban said:

Sorry for pinging again, I have another update! This was a very weird one, I set out to discover why my rear I/O shield was slightly bent and noticed that it was snagging on the Bios flashback button on the motherboard. I have no clue how this passed quality control at Asus, but it did and because of the button being permanently pressed in it delayed the PC turn on (sometimes). After some gentle persuasion (drill) I made the hole slightly bigger for the button to fit without touching it and now the whole thing boots instantly!

2 minutes ago, Rainbrew said:

Oh wow.. that's crazy. Glad it's fixed now bud.