My build + Asus ROG Strix x570-F compatibility with Noctua NH-D15s IO shield/heatsinks question.

Budget : £1500ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming

Hi people!. Here's my build, there are some compromises as there's availability issues, as we all know. The main thing is I'm getting away from my gaming laptop and the fan noise that is unavoidable with them. My office is themed modernist black and white and so is this build.

Case: NZXT H510, 1 120mm Noctua SP and 140mm Noctua, both as exhaust top and rear. I'm relying on negative air pressure, no intake fans as they will be useless with this case. I know there's cases with better airflow but I like the aesthetic.

PSU: Corsair RM850, overkill for the build I know but should be quieter, cooler, and longer lived I hope.

Motherboard: ASUS ROG x570-F.

Storage: Sabrent Rocket NVMe Gen4 (PCI4.0) 2TB. I know this is overkill but I got a really good deal.

CPU: Ryzen 5600x, cooled with Noctua NH-D15s chromax black fan in centre, thermal grizzly paste. Will attach Chromax white covers eventually

RAM: 32GB (8GBx4) Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200MHz CL16, sadly some of these will be obscured/wasted by the heatsink, but I'd rather all my ram matched.

GPU: Radeon 6700XT reference edition 😕 this is all I could get hold of and frankly I'm lucky to have it. One day I may dismantle this and fit a decent air cooler to it. Would be grateful for suggestions here.

Would be interested to hear any constructive input but main question is clearances with such a big heatsink. The Noctua website says the NH-D15s is compatible with the motherboard, but I wondered if that was just down to the mounting plate.

Thanks

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

Noctua compatibility tool would have shown notes on motherboard fitment were there any. 

Noctua coolers come with a tube of its thermal compound. Little point in getting something else.

Consider getting a 2x16GB memory kit. Leaves option to upgrade memory. Also consider DDR4-3600 CL16. This seems to be a sweet spot for the cpu.

I would have at least one intake fan.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 hour ago, brob said:

Noctua compatibility tool would have shown notes on motherboard fitment were there any. 

Noctua coolers come with a tube of its thermal compound. Little point in getting something else.

Consider getting a 2x16GB memory kit. Leaves option to upgrade memory. Also consider DDR4-3600 CL16. This seems to be a sweet spot for the cpu.

I would have at least one intake fan.

Thanks, that helps clear things up.

Regarding the paste I already own the compound from repasting my laptop, as its thermal performance is better I'll still use it, but I agree it's not worth getting for this job.

You're right about the ram actually, I'll swap for two sticks of 16 plus that lets me have fewer DIMMs under the heatsink of the DH-15s and not wasting the RGB! Good idea!

Regarding the intake fan, the NZXT H500 range perform better without an intake fan tests have shown, still feels wrong though. Wish there was a version with a mesh front.

I'm an IT System Admin with 15+ years worth of XP, plus I've been tinkering computers since I was old enough to hold a screwdriver, so I usually know what I'm talking about.

An Alpenfohn Brocken 3 would be a cheaper option for the cooler. There is also a stealth black dual fan version.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xZPgXL/alpenfohn-brocken-3-6062-cfm-cpu-cooler-84000000154

Even an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo would be plenty for a 5600X.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PnPKHx/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cpu-cooler-acfre00061a

9 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

An Alpenfohn Brocken 3 would be a cheaper option for the cooler. There is also a stealth black dual fan version.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/xZPgXL/alpenfohn-brocken-3-6062-cfm-cpu-cooler-84000000154

Even an Arctic Freezer 34 esports duo would be plenty for a 5600X.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/PnPKHx/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cpu-cooler-acfre00061a

Good advice, however in this situation I'm only paying £45 for the DH15s and it comes with a spare fan too, its new but open boxed.

I've always wanted one of the big noctua sinks.

1 hour ago, ObsidianAura said:

Good advice, however in this situation I'm only paying £45 for the DH15s and it comes with a spare fan too, its new but open boxed.

I've always wanted one of the big noctua sinks.

That is a good price then for that cooler.