vr bottleneck?

Hello, since everyone is talking about bottlenecks, I thought I might bring out my long running issue with vr. I've made psots about this before, but I often get very low vr performance, at 45 fps, and some what low framerate in some games such as battlefront 2. I don't know if the vr issue is a software problem, or a problem with my headset, but I was wondering if my cpu or ram might be causing the problem.

My cpu is a ryzen 5 1600 AE, an rx 5700, and I have 16 gigabytes of ram running at 2400mhz. The reason for the low speed is that I have 4 sticks of ram installed, and for some reason get instability at any higher speeds. 

So, my question is, would upgrading to a 3600 and/or swapping to 2 sticks of 8gig ram help with my issues. 

Not currently looking to fix the ram issue, but if you know how to fix that, I would like to know as well.

Edit: Okay, so I did some additional testing. In Half-life alyx at the low preset, it seems I'm having massive spikes in cpu frame time, and gpu frame time is also fairly high. I also am not running into any cpu bottlenecks, though my cpu usage is higher than my gpu usage. My cpu usage was around 50%, and my gpu usage was around 30%. 

However, I found something. I tried out Echo Vr, which is an Oculus store game, and found that it ran almost flawlessly. Fpsvr doesn't work with games on the Oculus store, so I can't give exact numbers, but it definitely felt smooth, and while it isn't as demanding as half-life alyx, I'm wondering if steamvr is the issue.

11 minutes ago, gamagama69 said:

Hello, since everyone is talking about bottlenecks, I thought I might bring out my long running issue with vr. I've made psots about this before, but I often get very low vr performance, at 45 fps, and some what low framerate in some games such as battlefront 2. I don't know if the vr issue is a software problem, or a problem with my headset, but I was wondering if my cpu or ram might be causing the problem.

My cpu is a ryzen 5 1600 AE, an rx 5700, and I have 16 gigabytes of ram running at 2400mhz. The reason for the low speed is that I have 4 sticks of ram installed, and for some reason get instability at any higher speeds. 

So, my question is, would upgrading to a 3600 and/or swapping to 2 sticks of 8gig ram help with my issues. 

Not currently looking to fix the ram issue, but if you know how to fix that, I would like to know as well.

I would definitely say the cpu is your biggest bottleneck.

I love AMD's Ryzen cpus, but I specifically held off until 3rd gen, coming from a 6 core Intel cpu back then it wasn't til then that I felt I would gain more performance and not lose some.

4 sticks of ram is fine and not an issue, going down to 2 sticks wouldn't change anything and would be a waste of money. On the ram side of things the thing that is holding back your system is the memory speed, Ryzen loving faster ram.

My recommendation is upgrade your cpu to at least 3rd gen Ryzen, which will mean you'll likely need a new motherboard. Your ram isn't an immediate thing I would replace, but in the long term I'd recommend getting some that's at least 3000mhz in speed (with latency no more than 16)

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

If you do decide to do an upgrade, I would recommend at least a Ryzen 5 3600 cpu, and as for motherboards you can find good and affordable B450 ones, just look up ones that support 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box. Some require bios updates which would require a compatible cpu, and I'm not sure how well supported 1st gen Ryzen cpus are for those motherboards

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Just now, Inception9269 said:

If you do decide to do an upgrade, I would recommend at least a Ryzen 5 3600 cpu, and as for motherboards you can find good and affordable B450 ones, just look up ones that support 3rd gen Ryzen out of the box. Some require bios updates which would require a compatible cpu, and I'm not sure how well supported 1st gen Ryzen cpus are for those motherboards

I have a b350 already, and according to asus's website, it's compatible with a bios update to 3rd gen ryzen

45 FPS sounds like whatever game your trying to play can't run at 90 so it's dropping to 45 and using ASW or other frame interpolation to double to 90 for the HMD.

If you're running steamVR take a look at fpsVR and see if it's the CPU or GPU holding you back in whatever game you're trying to play.

7 hours ago, trufret said:

45 FPS sounds like whatever game your trying to play can't run at 90 so it's dropping to 45 and using ASW or other frame interpolation to double to 90 for the HMD.

If you're running steamVR take a look at fpsVR and see if it's the CPU or GPU holding you back in whatever game you're trying to play.

Okay, so I did some additional testing. In Half-life alyx at the low preset, it seems I'm having massive spikes in cpu frame time, and gpu frame time is also fairly high. I also am not running into any cpu bottlenecks, though my cpu usage is higher than my gpu usage. My cpu usage was around 50%, and my gpu usage was around 30%. 

However, I found something. I tried out Echo Vr, which is an Oculus store game, and found that it ran almost flawlessly. Fpsvr doesn't work with games on the Oculus store, so I can't give exact numbers, but it definitely felt smooth, and while it isn't as demanding as half-life alyx, I'm wondering if steamvr is the issue.

Gonna add this as an edit as well.

10 hours ago, gamagama69 said:

Okay, so I did some additional testing. In Half-life alyx at the low preset, it seems I'm having massive spikes in cpu frame time, and gpu frame time is also fairly high. I also am not running into any cpu bottlenecks, though my cpu usage is higher than my gpu usage. My cpu usage was around 50%, and my gpu usage was around 30%. 

Gonna add this as an edit as well.

Id' test some other steamVR games and see if you get similar results across the board. Do you have all drivers/bios up to date and no additional background apps running that could be taxing the cpu?  any weird setting in SteamVR supersampling etc...?

Can't speak much on current oculus software as I haven't touched it since i upgraded from the CV1.

9 hours ago, trufret said:

Id' test some other steamVR games and see if you get similar results across the board. Do you have all drivers/bios up to date and no additional background apps running that could be taxing the cpu?  any weird setting in SteamVR supersampling etc...?

Can't speak much on current oculus software as I haven't touched it since i upgraded from the CV1.

I don't have anything that would be too taxing, and while I don't haver exacts, beat saber and superhot vr displayed similar issues. I have the resolution set at 100% resolutioon, so I don't thing there is any super sampling going on. Steam vr ss says 100%, which I'm pretty sure means 100% of headset resolution.

I will go through my background apps and try disabling stuff, because while it might not be too taxing, there might be some weird incompadibility going on.  

edit: Also, I wonder if intepolation doesn't work right on steamvr, so instead of interpolating, it just locks it to 45 fps. 

Neither beat saber or superhot should be taxing at all on that system so something is up for sure.

Might be worth investigating if there are any known issues or setting is the oculus software that cause issues with steamVR or worse case you do a clean install of windows oculus and steam and see if the problem continues.

14 hours ago, trufret said:

Neither beat saber or superhot should be taxing at all on that system so something is up for sure.

Might be worth investigating if there are any known issues or setting is the oculus software that cause issues with steamVR or worse case you do a clean install of windows oculus and steam and see if the problem continues.

I have found similar issues, but none that had solutions for amd cards

On 3/22/2021 at 8:36 PM, Inception9269 said:

I managed to get playable framerates with an R3 1200 and Rx 480 8 gb on Vr,i wouldnt see why his 1600 would struggle so badly.

A better cpu is obviously going to bring better performance,but i doubt this is just a hardware problem.

I think its a setting he has turned on or a software issue.