Building a budget PC

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

Thank you all for your replies. I forgot to add that power consumption is also a concern for me, as well as the heat. I chose a core i3 because I want to upgrade to core i5 or a core i7 in the next years.

I also just made the calculation, and with the keyboard this PC will cost slightly more than €550 but it's OK.

Why not get a 750 Ti instead?

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Hi,

I'd like to know your opinions about the PC I'm building. I will use it for coding on Linux and gaming and video editing on Windows. FYI I'm currently using a Dell Vostro 3700 with a 2.4 Ghz core i5 and I am able to edit videos and playing a few games. I've been able to finish Arkham City without changing the default settings. I have about 30 games released between 2009 and 2013 in my Steam library, so I don't plan to play very recent games for the moment, otherwise I'm okay with reducing the settings.

So these are the components :

- CPU Intel core i3 4330
- Case Zalman ZM T4
- CPU Cooler Thermaltake Nic
- PSU LDLC QS-450+ Quality Select 80PLUS Gold (it's French !)
- Motherboard ASRock H81M
- Graphic card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2G GDDR5
- RAM memory Kingston DDR3 1600 8 Go KVR CL9 HyperX
- Keyboard Zalman ZM-K400G
- Hard drive SSHD Seagate 1 To

So the total price shouldn't be above 500€. I already have some of the components : the CPU cooler, the PSU and the RAM. I'll order the HDD this weekend.

For the next evolutions, I planned to buy a SSD (unless SSHD become better), do a crossfire and maybe change the CPU. But I won't do any change before Christmas.

So are there better choices to make?

Thanks

Location? Peripherals(OS, keyboard, mouse, and monitor)? What PSU,CPU,RAM, and HDD do you have?

Quote me to get a reply!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€69.90 @ Caseking)

Motherboard: Asus A55BM-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard (€50.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (€58.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€52.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card (€164.74 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€38.01 @ Hardwareversand)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€69.90 @ Caseking)

Total: €504.97

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-26 01:48 CET+0100)

So the total price shouldn't be above 500€. I already have some of the components : the CPU cooler, the PSU and the RAM. I'll order the HDD this weekend.

RAM, PSU?

Really? 

Thank you all for your replies. I forgot to add that power consumption is also a concern for me, as well as the heat. I chose a core i3 because I want to upgrade to core i5 or a core i7 in the next years.

I also just made the calculation, and with the keyboard this PC will cost slightly more than €550 but it's OK.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for the info.

I chose an AMD GPU because of the ZeroCore technology. But I just checked some reviews and saw that the 750 Ti has slightly better benchmarks, but it's slightly more expensive and AMD offers a couple free games with their GPU while nVidia only gives credits for free to play games. I'm facing a dilemma now :-)

Thanks for the info.

I chose an AMD GPU because of the ZeroCore technology. But I just checked some reviews and saw that the 750 Ti has slightly better benchmarks, but it's slightly more expensive and AMD offers a couple free games with their GPU while nVidia only gives credits for free to play games. I'm facing a dilemma now :-)

It'll depend on how often you leave your system at idle then.

More options better, no?  B)

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I finally decided to buy a GTX 750 Ti. Thank yu all for your hellp :-)