Razer Battery bulge and replacement

I got a Razer Blade 15 a couple years ago, i think around end of 2018? but i think the battery is about to die. or burst into flame. Not quite sure what happens when the battery pack starts bulging, visibly. I didnt notice until i opened it up, and notice that the cover was popping off on its own as I was unscrewing the bolts. but either way, it feels like theres an air bubble trapped inside the battery pack. I've never seen a battery pack do that, to the point where it would push on the bottom cover like that.

Long story short, should i replace the battery pack ( and if so, where can i get a replacement?) or should I consider another laptop? I have thought bought upgrading to a desktop 3080 (but that kinda requires a whole system) but really not sure if I can even get all the parts. Or should i consider a laptop 3070? If so, any suggestions?

For use case, I am usually using that as more of a desktop and keeping it plugged in to another screen. Though I do occasionally bring it with me.

I've consider 14-15 inch as well as 13 inch with an egpu, as a lot of times, when i actually am mobile with it, i dont need amazing graphics on the go. WHen i do need it, its usually at home or at a table. (Also thought about the asus flow x13 but dont think thats available)

Currently, I have the battery completely removed, so laptop running straight from the wall. Thought that would be safer.

Pack bulging is bad.  The battery is releasing gasses creating the bulge.  Those gasses are both poisonous and flammable.  The bulging is actually a backup safety feature built into the spec.  It was supposed to unseat the battery and make it no longer possible to put more energy into it but that got designed around. Should you replace the battery?  heck yes.  If it can’t be replaced I would consider the entire part dangerous.  All rechargeable devices (or anything with a LiPo battery which is most of them) will eventually do this. The old battery is toxic waste and should be disposed of as such.  Your nation will have a system for such things.  In the US you can bring it to an electronics store, a fire department or a specialty battery seller like batteries plus.  Do not just throw it in the trash though.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Pack bulging is bad.  The battery is releasing gasses creating the bulge.  Those gasses are both poisonous and flammable.  Should you replace the battery heck yes.  If it can’t be replaced I would consider the entire part dangerous.  All rechargeable devices will eventually do this. 

yea, thats kinda what i thought. first time i've ever seen this for my own stuff though. whats a reputable dealer of batteries?

2 minutes ago, shinegull said:

yea, thats kinda what i thought. first time i've ever seen this for my own stuff though. whats a reputable dealer of batteries?

The manufacturer of the device should be checked first generally.  It might even be under warranty.  They may want the dying battery back.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The manufacturer of the device should be checked first generally.  It might even be under warranty.  They may want the dying battery back.

talked to them previously. sent me elsewhere as it is past warranty date. they said go to a local dealer instead.

11 minutes ago, shinegull said:

talked to them previously. sent me elsewhere as it is past warranty date. they said go to a local dealer instead.

It’s not merely that they won’t fix it for free but they won’t fix it at all?  So they sold you a device with either a lousy battery that gets dangerous with an unusually small number of recharges or a charger that damaged batteries and since it’s outside the warranty period they won’t do anything about it.  Well razor is off my Christmas list.  Getting a battery from a reliable manufacturer is often quite hard.  I once knew how to do it for 18370 batteries but this won’t be one of those.  eBay or Alibaba is not a good place to go for non counterfeit batteries.   The battery will have a code on it somewhere that describes its shape and type.  It’s not impossible that such a battery is ungettable in which case the whole thing is waste and the battery is toxic waste.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not merely that they won’t fix it for free but they won’t fix it at all?  So they sold you a device with either a lousy battery that gets dangerous with an unusually small number of recharges or a charger that damaged batteries and since it’s outside the warranty period they won’t do anything about it.  Well razor is off my Christmas list.  Getting a battery from a reliable manufacturer is often quite hard.  I once knew how to do it for 18370 batteries but this won’t be one of those.  eBay or Alibaba is not a good place to go for non counterfeit batteries.   The battery will have a code on it somewhere that describes its shape and type.  It’s not impossible that such a battery is ungettable in which case the whole thing is waste and the battery is toxic waste.

yea... a couple years back, razer was the brand that i kinda looked at as my goal for laptop... but to be honest, there were a couple things afterwards that kinda made me say no more razer blades for me. the main thing was, once your warranty is up, they basically said that, they no longer offer support for you device. any support at all. no matter how small or big. the moment they ran the serial number, they said they cant help me as. so their tech support has a due date. that said. i did a search on the battery itself and did find a couple options for a hundred plus.

plus i have been thinking of upgrading for a while now... so maybe ill get a g14? I'll sleep on it for a bit before deciding.

I spent the day looking at laptops, and ended deciding that, a 3070 would be awesome, but realistically, a 2060 was enough, so i ended getting a g14 from last year.

I'll also look for a replacement battery for my Razer anyways, just as a spare. Anyone know any reputable dealers of laptop batteries?

On a side note, is it safe to open up my old battery? now that I dont actually need it anymore?

5 hours ago, shinegull said:

I spent the day looking at laptops, and ended deciding that, a 3070 would be awesome, but realistically, a 2060 was enough, so i ended getting a g14 from last year.

I'll also look for a replacement battery for my Razer anyways, just as a spare. Anyone know any reputable dealers of laptop batteries?

On a side note, is it safe to open up my old battery? now that I dont actually need it anymore?

Iirc it isn’t safe. Poison gas remember?  Might be only one of the problems though.  The electrolyte will have lithium in it.  It’s basically the same as a model airplane LiPO except bigger.  People with model airplanes will have tried that and there may be more data there.

Edited by Bombastinator