I could use some help planning a new build around the Ryzen 5800X. It's been a while since my last one (7 years)

Budget (including currency): 350€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly for graphic design (Adobe), a bit of video & 3ds Max & games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Far Cry 5

Other details

Hey guys! So, I'd appreciate any help on the matter because it's been a while since my last build and I get a bit lost on too many info (mostly irrelevant!) when searching.

I'm planning to build a new PC sometime after a couple of months and the only component that I've decided on is the CPU. I'm gonna go with the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X.

I can't afford the 5900X (price difference~160€) and going with the 5600X feels too compromising. So, 5800X it is.

I'm working as a freelance graphic designer, so the final build should be good enough for image (& a bit of video) editing as well as some beginner level 3D modelling.

I just saw a couple of offers for 32GB modules (at 3200MHz) and since RAM modules have a lifetime warranty (well, at least kind of), I decided to buy one of them.

These are the PATRIOT VIPER STEEL SERIES 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4 3200MHZ (PVS432G320C6) sold at 140€

and the HYPERX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200MHZ (HX432C16FB4K2/32) sold at 158€

They are both 32GB 3200MHz, but the Patriot is 1 module, while the HyperX is 2 modules (& a bit more expensive, but still a bargain).

Which one do you think is better for Ryzen 5800X? PATRIOT VIPER STEEL [1x32GB] or HYPERX FURY [32GB (2X16GB)]?

Also, do you think it's a wise decision to buy them and let them sitting for a couple of months, since my current build doesn't support DDR4?

Normally they are around 30€ more expensive.

The other matter that I'm dealing with has to do with power. I'm on a Greek island and the electrical power infrastructure here is not the best.

We have frequent power cuts and voltage spikes (surges), so I bought a middle-range UPS, the Powerwalker VI 2000 SCL (2000VA / 1200W).

However in the first 2 weeks of using it, my PC shut down with no reason (no surges/power cuts), so I returned it to the store, and still waiting for them to test it.

But two days later the same thing happened (sudden PC shut down), so I now think that it might not have been the UPS's fault, but my PSU's.

So, I've decided to buy a new PSU first, which I'll use on my current build, but will also keep it on the next one with the 5800X.

I'm also going to keep my GPU (Sapphire 5600XT) until GPU prices drop. Maybe a couple of years even, since my 5600XT is a very capable card.

Here my budget has led me to these: Corsair RM750x (Gold), Asus ROG Strix 750w (Gold), EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 X2 (Gold) and Corsair SF750 750W (Platinum)

The best deal that I've found for these is around 155€-165€ so the stock will be limited I guess.

So, which PSU do you think I should buy?

Hopefully, somebody will have the patience to read this and respond! Anyway, even if you don't thank you for taking the time to read it!

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, nbacaloo said:

Budget (including currency): 350€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly for graphic design (Adobe), a bit of video & 3ds Max & games like Red Dead Redemption 2 and Far Cry 5

Other details

Hey guys! So, I'd appreciate any help on the matter because it's been a while since my last build and I get a bit lost on too many info (mostly irrelevant!) when searching.

I'm planning to build a new PC sometime after a couple of months and the only component that I've decided on is the CPU. I'm gonna go with the AMD Ryzen 7 5800X.

I can't afford the 5900X (price difference~160€) and going with the 5600X feels too compromising. So, 5800X it is.

I'm working as a freelance graphic designer, so the final build should be good enough for image (& a bit of video) editing as well as some beginner level 3D modelling.

I just saw a couple of offers for 32GB modules (at 3200MHz) and since RAM modules have a lifetime warranty (well, at least kind of), I decided to buy one of them.

These are the PATRIOT VIPER STEEL SERIES 32GB (1x32GB) DDR4 3200MHZ (PVS432G320C6) sold at 140€

and the HYPERX 32GB (2X16GB) DDR4 3200MHZ (HX432C16FB4K2/32) sold at 158€

They are both 32GB 3200MHz, but the Patriot is 1 module, while the HyperX is 2 modules (& a bit more expensive, but still a bargain).

Which one do you think is better for Ryzen 5800X? PATRIOT VIPER STEEL [1x32GB] or HYPERX FURY [32GB (2X16GB)]?

Also, do you think it's a wise decision to buy them and let them sitting for a couple of months, since my current build doesn't support DDR4?

Normally they are around 30€ more expensive.

The other matter that I'm dealing with has to do with power. I'm on a Greek island and the electrical power infrastructure here is not the best.

We have frequent power cuts and voltage spikes (surges), so I bought a middle-range UPS, the Powerwalker VI 2000 SCL (2000VA / 1200W).

However in the first 2 weeks of using it, my PC shut down with no reason (no surges/power cuts), so I returned it to the store, and still waiting for them to test it.

But two days later the same thing happened (sudden PC shut down), so I now think that it might not have been the UPS's fault, but my PSU's.

So, I've decided to buy a new PSU first, which I'll use on my current build, but will also keep it on the next one with the 5800X.

I'm also going to keep my GPU (Sapphire 5600XT) until GPU prices drop. Maybe a couple of years even, since my 5600XT is a very capable card.

Here my budget has led me to these: Corsair RM750x (Gold), Asus ROG Strix 750w (Gold), EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 X2 (Gold) and Corsair SF750 750W (Platinum)

The best deal that I've found for these is around 155€-165€ so the stock will be limited I guess.

So, which PSU do you think I should buy?

Hopefully, somebody will have the patience to read this and respond! Anyway, even if you don't thank you for taking the time to read it!

All opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

For the ram go with HyperX, Dual channel is an absolute must for Ryzen. I don't really think you could go wrong with any of those PSUs, just get whichever is highest rated on 80+ Scale and well priced.

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

If you don't plan on buying for a few months wait. Settling in a cpu at this particular point in time is not wise.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

11 minutes ago, nbacaloo said:

the 2x16gb kit. thets 2x the bandwith than the 1x32gb. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

On 3/21/2021 at 10:33 PM, brob said:

If you don't plan on buying for a few months wait. Settling in a cpu at this particular point in time is not wise.

Could you elaborate? Why do you say so? 

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm probably gonna buy the HyperX kit, but wait a bit for the PSU (if my PC doesn't have more sudden shut downs that is).

On 3/21/2021 at 10:27 PM, BiotechBen said:

@nbacaloo what graphics card will you be running in this system?

I'll settle for my Sapphire 5600XT for a while. Whenever the prices drop and the stock issues are over, I'm planning to buy a 6800 (AMD) or 3080 (Nvidia). Depends on the prices at the time. But this is much later, maybe even more than a year

44 minutes ago, nbacaloo said:

Could you elaborate? Why do you say so? 

Intel will be dropping new cpu by April. AMD may respond with new models. Puget Systems is bound to publish Adobe and Autodesk benchmark data for these new cpu. And, market pricing may shift significantly.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 3/23/2021 at 12:19 AM, brob said:

Intel will be dropping new cpu by April. AMD may respond with new models. Puget Systems is bound to publish Adobe and Autodesk benchmark data for these new cpu. And, market pricing may shift significantly.

Yeah, I see your point. Perhaps I should wait as long as my 4770K can take. A few extra layers in Photoshop are enough to push its limits & reveal its age though! 🙂

Thx anyway, cause I was curious on want you meant.