curved monitors ?

theSAAD

Hello everyone im thinking of getting a new gaming monitor and im looking for a 2k 240hz and i found the samsung g7 its a curved monitor but the question is, will it affect my performence in comptitive gaming ? specifically valorant, im already at the highest rank and i dont want monitor to be the issue of my performence and i need a second monitor as im only using one and alot of people say that 2k will ruin my aim in such games as valorant i hope you can help me out.

thanks for your time 

1 hour ago, theSAAD said:

Hello everyone im thinking of getting a new gaming monitor and im looking for a 2k 240hz and i found the samsung g7 its a curved monitor but the question is, will it affect my performence in comptitive gaming ? specifically valorant, im already at the highest rank and i dont want monitor to be the issue of my performence and i need a second monitor as im only using one and alot of people say that 2k will ruin my aim in such games as valorant i hope you can help me out.

thanks for your time 

2k resolution will effect ur fps and ur dpi. ull need to increase ur dpi a bit if u get a 2k monitor. but thats not the worst part, the VA panels will mean more latency. Also, curved monitors arent the best for competetive games like Valorant. I would recommend getting a 24" 1080p monitor like this one. Much cheaper and better for Valorent. But if u want the best for the best, then this 360hz monitor is all that will do.

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

1 hour ago, yeetus the mighty said:

the hell? resolution wont change skill

it will decrease fps and have to make him change his dpi

well yeah it'll decrease fps if your gpu isnt good enough becaus eit has to send more info to more pixels but it wont change your mouse sensitivity

1 minute ago, King of Memes said:

it will decrease fps and have to make him change his dpi

make sure your gpu is good enough by doing some quick googling for 1440p at the games you want to play

Just now, yeetus the mighty said:

well yeah it'll decrease fps if your gpu isnt good enough becaus eit has to send more info to more pixels but it wont change your mouse sensitivity

the mouse sensitivity wont change. but the dpi will change. dpi is how many pixels ur pointer moves when ur mouse moves one inch. So more pixels would mean that he would have to increase his dpi a little bit if hes coming from a 1080p monitor. 

dpi= mouse sensitivity

Just now, King of Memes said:

the mouse sensitivity wont change. but the dpi will change. dpi is how many pixels ur pointer moves when ur mouse moves one inch. So more pixels would mean that he would have to increase his dpi a little bit if hes coming from a 1080p monitor. 

i used a 1440p monitor at a friends houise once and his dpi was just a TINY tad higher than mine and it felt too fast so uuh....

Just now, yeetus the mighty said:

dpi= mouse sensitivity

i used a 1440p monitor at a friends houise once and his dpi was just a TINY tad higher than mine and it felt too fast so uuh....

more pixels would mean that 800 dpi on a 1080p monitor would feel faster than 800 dpi on a 1440p momitor. 

Just now, King of Memes said:

more pixels would mean that 800 dpi on a 1080p monitor would feel faster than 800 dpi on a 1440p momitor. 

this is pointless, im gonna stop posting here.

3 hours ago, King of Memes said:

2k resolution will effect ur fps and ur dpi. ull need to increase ur dpi a bit if u get a 2k monitor. but thats not the worst part, the VA panels will mean more latency. Also, curved monitors arent the best for competetive games like Valorant. I would recommend getting a 24" 1080p monitor like this one. Much cheaper and better for Valorent. But if u want the best for the best, then this 360hz monitor is all that will do.

Yea I already use a 24inch 144hz i might as well get the 360hz

Few things to clear up here.

For mouse DPi, when u increase resolution, u should increase mouse DPi, HOWEVER, if you have any type of ingame/program specific mouse acceleration or sensitivity adjustment active, this can and will cause differences when comparing 2 PCs with similar DPI settings.

E.G.

If you run 600 at 1080, 900 at 1440 and 1200 and 4k with Zero added in-game sensitivity.

An opposing PC could run

600 at 1080, 700 at 1440, and 800 at 4k, but increase ingame sensitivity to compensate. (ideally you shouldnt do this)

Increasing the games resolution, be it by changing ur display to a higher native resolution one, or simply increasing rendering resolution, WILL require a higher DPI and/or higher in game mouse sensitive setting. This is a fact of reality, not open for debate, im not sure why anyone would argue against this.

As for the display.

its inaccurate to say that VA panels will mean more latency.

The Odyssey G7 specifically is the fastest VA panel currently available, and is certainly capable of being used in competitive play.

In addition, slow pixel response doesnt add latency, the pixels have a set amount of time to transition (frame time), if they dont manage to complete a transition in time, it stops and start transitioning to the next required frame.

What a slow pixel response does do however is cause 'ghosting' ..('blurring'). reducing the effective moving picture resolution. As a result it will make things harder to discern when in motion.

VA panels while slower than IPS and TN, are predominantly slower in the dark transitions only. So in games where dark scenes are rare or non existent its less of an issue, however it is something to consider.

VA generally isnt great for systems built for competitive gaming. That said the Odyssey G7 is an exception due to its superb overdrive tuning for dark transitions.

As for the Curve, its more a personal preference than anything else. some like it , others dont. One thing a curved screen does have issue with, is BLB, however this is rarely a concern for those looking for a purely competitive gaming experience.

A word of warning with 360hz Displays.

refresh rate isnt everything.

A 240hz display with well tuned overdrive and fast pixel response can produce a clearer moving image than a 360hz display with a slower pixel response.

in addition, marketing numbers for pixel response are very misleading, most 1ms claims are bogus and not actually reachable when using 'usable' overdrive settings. the highest overdrive option usually results in massive amounts of overshoot.

As such, dont buy into 360hz and/or 1ms response time marketing hype without 1st checking reviewers for the tested pixel response across the entire range of transitions.

Example

~£300 240hz TN

Spoiler

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/TUe5nLC0/acer-nitro-xf252q-xbmiiprzx/motion-blur-max-large.jpg

~£700 360hz IPS

Spoiler

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/ULZ06eOY/asus-rog-swift-360hz-pg259qn/motion-blur-max-large.jpg

For reference this is the Odyssey g7

~£600 240hz VA

Spoiler

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/KFhPW2wt/samsung-odyssey-g7/motion-blur-max-large.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

For mouse DPi, when u increase resolution, u should increase mouse DPi, HOWEVER, if you have any type of ingame/program specific mouse acceleration or sensitivity adjustment active, this can and will cause differences when comparing 2 PCs with similar DPI settings.

E.G.

If you run 600 at 1080, 900 at 1440 and 1200 and 4k with Zero added in-game sensitivity.

An opposing PC could run

600 at 1080, 700 at 1440, and 800 at 4k, but increase ingame sensitivity to compensate. (ideally you shouldnt do this)

Increasing the games resolution, be it by changing ur display to a higher native resolution one, or simply increasing rendering resolution, WILL require a higher DPI and/or higher in game mouse sensitive setting. This is a fact of reality, not open for debate, im not sure why anyone would argue against this.

As for the display.

The Odyssey G7 specifically is the fastest VA panel currently available, and is certainly capable of being used in competitive play.

In addition, slow pixel response doesnt add latency, the pixels have a set amount of time to transition (frame time), if they dont manage to complete a transition in time, it stops and start transitioning to the next required frame.

What a slow pixel response does do however is cause 'ghosting' ..('blurring'). reducing the effective moving picture resolution. As a result it will make things harder to discern when in motion.

VA panels while slower than IPS and TN, are predominantly slower in the dark transitions only. So in games where dark scenes are rare or non existent its less of an issue, however it is something to consider.

VA generally isnt great for systems built for competitive gaming. That said the Odyssey G7 is an exception due to its superb overdrive tuning for dark transitions.

As for the Curve, its more a personal preference than anything else. some like it , others dont. One thing a curved screen does have issue with, is BLB, however this is rarely a concern for those looking for a purely competitive gaming experience.

A 240hz display with well tuned overdrive and fast pixel response can produce a clearer moving image than a 360hz display with a slower pixel response.

in addition, marketing numbers for pixel response are very misleading, most 1ms claims are bogus and not actually reachable when using 'usable' overdrive settings. the highest overdrive option usually results in massive amounts of overshoot.

As such, dont buy into 360hz and/or 1ms response time marketing hype without 1st checking reviewers for the tested pixel response across the entire range of transitions.

Example

~£300 240hz TN

Reveal hidden contents

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/TUe5nLC0/acer-nitro-xf252q-xbmiiprzx/motion-blur-max-large.jpg

~£700 360hz IPS

Reveal hidden contents

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/ULZ06eOY/asus-rog-swift-360hz-pg259qn/motion-blur-max-large.jpg

~£600 240hz VA

Reveal hidden contents

https://i.rtings.com/assets/products/KFhPW2wt/samsung-odyssey-g7/motion-blur-max-large.jpg

agree with this, yeetus the mighty was saying that resolution doesnt effect dpi, which isnt true at all

22 hours ago, theSAAD said:

thanks for your time 

Idk if this guy is a pro, but his gameplay is pretty crazy compared to me LOL

watch this and lmk what you think!

Samsung Odyssey G7 Review | Gaming at 32" 1440p 240Hz - YouTube 

Shipping sucks

18 hours ago, SolarNova said:

E.G.

An opposing PC could run

As for the display.

Example

~£300 240hz TN

Reveal hidden contents

~£700 360hz IPS

Reveal hidden contents

~£600 240hz VA

Reveal hidden contents

Wow this is really really helpful and it’s cleared alot of things out for me plus I’ve been watching alot of g7 reviews and that thing is really a beast, I really hate it when im planning on buying something because i just keep overthinking everything but what you said is really helpful thank you i think i know what to get

15 hours ago, GSTARR said:

Idk if this guy is a pro, but his gameplay is pretty crazy compared to me LOL

watch this and lmk what you think!

Samsung Odyssey G7 Review | Gaming at 32" 1440p 240Hz - YouTube 

Bro that dude is insane 😂 it definitely encouraged me not gonna lie, and thank you for the video and helping me bro ! I think now you know what i wanna get