Weird, Inconsistent , Audio Cracking Problem

My computer audio will sometimes randomly make a faint cracking/popping/peaking sound while it is on. It is very inconsistent and I am sure others would barely notice it if they got on my computer but to me it is very prominent and annoying. While I am watching youtube, playing games, in a discord, or whatever, a very faint cracking sound in the audio will happen then it will go back to normal. I also noticed while changing the volume on different websites such as twitch and youtube there will be a consistent crack when the volume is changed and the volume knob is slid up and down. It is most prominent with the windows volume overall. I am unsure if this is a part of the problem or just something that has happened and I have never noticed it. 

It began when I first plugged in a new headset on the back audio jacks (mic in/line in). I was testing the quality of said headset and went back to compare it to my old one. This is when I first noticed the very faint cracking sound inconsistently while my friends in discord were talking. Then, with the old headset on, I played Warzone with them and noticed the cracking sound even more and even noticed that loud sounds (car music, jets flying overhead, a nearby contract beeping) would sound like they were peaking my headset. It got very annoying very fast and went on a hunting spree to try and fix it.

Preface:

- 64 Bit Windows

- Did not happen (or did not notice) until new headset was plugged in 3/17

- Original audio drivers when old headset was in use: AMD High Definition Audio, High Definition Audio (Devices)

- It is VERY inconsistent, and annoying. Could not reliably recreate it in games, but could, however; recreate it by replaying certain parts of videos (this may just be part of said videos)

- Mic sounds the same

- Don't remember my exact bit rate and sample rate I used with my old headset

- The crack/pop isn't very loud, could almost be described as a small skip/break in the audio

Things I have Done:

- Tried reinstalling audio drivers

- Tried changing audio drivers to Realtek High Definition Audio (Via updating [Realtek] back to High Definition Audio)

- Tried using 5 different headsets to test if the problems still persisted

- Tried using 5 different connectors/splitters to connect the headsets to the computer

- Changed to almost all sample rates and bit rates for all the headset speakers

- Tried most enhancements both Realtek and regular High Definition Audio 

- Disabled and enabled exclusive mode for each headset

- Tried turning down volume 

- Tried turning up volume

- Shutting down computer

- Restarting computer

- Turning on computer with no sound drivers available, then enabled them

- Tested front and back 3.5mm jacks

- Tried using a G432 jack to USB connector (Variety of results from this)

- Tried only having the headphones jack connected while leaving the mic unconnected

- Tried ditching the 1 to 2 jack splitter (splits one jack to have a mic in / line in) and plugged the headset itself into the line/audio in (front and back)

- Tried using my monitor's speakers (They are quiet but the problem doesn't seem to happen there)

- Listened to a long consistent pitch through my headset but couldn't consistently notice if the crack/pop was happening

- Checked the jacks to make sure they didn't look damaged or loose

- Uninstalled Discord to see if it was just a discord problem

Things I Haven't Done:

- Using an actual USB headset (I'd have to buy one)

- Fully wiped all my files and apps

- Using a Bluetooth headset

- Fresh Windows Restart

- Attempt to record the crack/pop/skip/break

Weird Notes:

- When a headset is plugged into the front or back line in jacks on my computer, and Realtek High Definition Audio is being used, the volume cracking sound is prominent ON BOTH JACKS when sliding the windows volume up and down.

- When a headset is plugged into the line in jacks on my computer, and High Definition Audio Device is being used, the cracking sound is prominent ONLY ON THE BACK JACK when sliding the windows volume up and down.

- With that said, whether High Definition Audio Device or Realtek High Definition Audio is being used, the inconsistent, may or may not be correlated random cracking sound while playing games and at a fixed volume is STILL PRESENT.

- Front Mic In jack has never worked and creates a loud screeching sound in my mic

Headsets Used:

- HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro --- HEADSET THAT (POSSIBLY) CAUSED PROBLEM

- TBI Imba Pro V8 --- ORIGINAL HEADSET

- Logitech G432

- TBI Imba Pro V8 --- Used another one I found

- Kotion Each Headset --- Unsure of Model

Specs

ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-FI

Gigabyte AMD 5700XT

AMD Ryzen 3700X

Vengeance Corsair Pro 2x8 16GB RAM

Coolermaster H500 ARGB

Samsung 970 NVME 1TB SSD

EVGA  80+ Gold Certified 850 Watt PSU

Conclusions

- I could be crazy and this might all be in my head (I don't think this is)

- Likely an audio driver problem I need help solving

- Very faint cracking sound every once in awhile that is hard to recreate

- Audio does however; crack consistently when volume sliders are moved up and down

- The cracking sound doesn't just happen when loud sounds are being played, my friends could be talking in discord and it would crack/pop

3 minutes ago, Eric00 said:

ASUS Rog Strix B550-F Gaming Wi-FI

Update your BIOS to version 2006. This issue was likely fixed with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A. Downloads available here, instructions on page 3-3 of your manual.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

On 6/1/2021 at 2:18 PM, PorkishPig said:

Update your BIOS to version 2006. This issue was likely fixed with AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.1 Patch A. Downloads available here, instructions on page 3-3 of your manual.

When I noticed the issue back in march I checked everyday for GPU, CPU, and BIOS updates. As soon as that came out and I downloaded it I still noticed the issue. Recently I bought a downgraded motherboard (GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO) just to test if the motherboard was the issue and the exact same crackling audio issue persisted. I've tried multiple 5700xt drivers and noticed the same sound on each. Is it possible my GPU or CPU could be causing the audio crackling? I've tried changing idle states and power management in regedit but still no luck.

10 minutes ago, Eric00 said:

Recently I bought a downgraded motherboard (GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO) just to test if the motherboard was the issue and the exact same crackling audio issue persisted. I've tried multiple 5700xt drivers and noticed the same sound on each.

I had a similar issue back in 2017 with an FX-6300 that was unfortunately never resolved. It required a complete platform upgrade with the same graphics card for the issue to go away.

10 minutes ago, Eric00 said:

Is it possible my GPU or CPU could be causing the audio crackling?

Sure, though the interference you're experiencing could be any component in your system.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

• 1 year later...
On 6/4/2021 at 10:58 PM, Eric00 said:

When I noticed the issue back in march I checked everyday for GPU, CPU, and BIOS updates. As soon as that came out and I downloaded it I still noticed the issue. Recently I bought a downgraded motherboard (GIGABYTE B450 AORUS PRO) just to test if the motherboard was the issue and the exact same crackling audio issue persisted. I've tried multiple 5700xt drivers and noticed the same sound on each. Is it possible my GPU or CPU could be causing the audio crackling? I've tried changing idle states and power management in regedit but still no luck.

I know this is an old thread but i have the exact same problem as you with the same symptoms. Did you ever fix it. ive tried all the stuff you have and more.

5 hours ago, Kyozo said:

I know this is an old thread but i have the exact same problem as you with the same symptoms. Did you ever fix it. ive tried all the stuff you have and more.

Had this exact issue years ago on a Gigabyte Z170 board. Still think it was a bad grounding issue. Try unplugging all of your devices, and even try it on an entirely different electrical system if possible.