Have soundboard sounds play through discord

Scruffy90

So, I know how to do this through a hardware solution, however, I do not want to invest in a hardware solution if at all possible.

I would like to do the following:

• Have a sound byte assignable to a macro or a button (like the buttons on my Elgato Stream Deck)
  • when I press the button, that audio is routed to my discord call or in game voice chat either though my input or through another method
  • and be as cost effective as possible

How could I achieve this?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Virtual driver devices...specifically virtual microphones. You need an application like voicemod that routes your mic and soundboard mixes to a virtual mic. I think it costs like $30 or $40 USD and I think it has support for elgato products.

So essentially in whatever application you want to use it with you set the virtual mic as the input device and then play whatever sound effects or voice changers you want through it.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

22 minutes ago, trag1c said:

Virtual driver devices...specifically virtual microphones. You need an application like voicemod that routes your mic and soundboard mixes to a virtual mic. I think it costs like $30 or $40 USD and I think it has support for elgato products.

So essentially in whatever application you want to use it with you set the virtual mic as the input device and then play whatever sound effects or voice changers you want through it.

Voicemeeter and Virtual Audio Cable can do it for free. 

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

Voicemeeter and Virtual Audio Cable can do it for free. 

Guesing I would need to route it like I would a mixer?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

Guesing I would need to route it like I would a mixer?

yes. There are plenty of tutorials also 

• 9 months later...

I managed to solve this without running any external software through a multi action on the Stream Deck. It's a bit tedious, but you don't have to touch it afterward. You'll also need to download VB-Virtual Audio Cable.

It's 6 actions in total (could probably be 4, but I did both default and communications to be safe):

First action is to set your input audio device to cable output (I did both default and communications devices on two separate actions).

Second is to play the audio with the sound deck action through the virtual audio cable.

Third is "Stream Deck: Delay" for however many seconds the audio clip is.

Lastly, set the input audio device back to your microphone.

Like I said, a bit tedious, but it works. You could also do two play audios in order to set one to play through your headphones/speakers in order to hear it yourself. It's also worth mentioning that you would need to turn off any sound-altering settings in discord like noise cancellation in order for the sound to be heard clearly.

Screenshot 2022-01-06 205835.png