Y not make headphones that can be both open and closed?

Bupalooga

Just an idea, why cant they make headphones with interchangable covers? One pair thats an airated mesh and another set thats solid insulated plastic or something so the user can choose between open or closed? They could clip on with maybe small magnets or something.

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w
The Monolith Desk - build log incomplete.

From my knowledge, it's because open headphones and closed headphones have different design elements to make them sound good. They "require" different things. If you were to change back and forth, instead of getting one pair that's booth and sounds good, you'd have one pair that's either good open or closed, or mediocre at both.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

its physically impossible to both have a 'switch' type mechanism that will stop the transfer of a pressure wave leaving the ear cups. unless you want replaceable ear cups for what ever your situation is but thats going to be very difficult to implement, for the price it would probly come out as you could buy two pairs of decent headphones.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

It would be impossible. Drivers are tuned, you can't just tune them from open to closed with a flick of a switch. That's the primary problem anyways.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

There are semi open headphones like the AKG K240 but it will still leak sound

It's a design choice, not a feature.  Beyerdynamic just makes different headphones for each design, for example.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

It is not possible. If you can find a pair of open headphones (maybe you have some, or maybe you have a dealer locally) put them on, play your favorite song, then cover them with your hands and play it again. You will be able to tell the difference right away.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

I think a company named Astro made some headsets with interchangeable ear cups plates, which made them open and semi-closed. Though it is a gaming branded headset, and you know how they often sound. ;)

"I didn't find a path through life, I created one" Ryan Doyle

Yeah the design of the headset effects sound just as much as the driver used inside them. It would sound aweful trying to get a sound that would work with both open and closed

Awe k, it'd probably be more of a gimmick than a quality feature if ever implemented. Diddnt think drivers & headphone enclosure were so internectedly tuned.

Aussie FTW!
4770k, H60, GTX 780, G1 Sniper 5, Samsung EVO 250GB, Seagate 2TB, Vengance Pro RAM 2133mhz 8GB, Silverstone Strider 850w

That is a really good question! i would think they would make it pretty well on the market if done correctly.

on a side note; Why use "Y" for "Why"?

on a side note; Why use "Y" for "Why"?

Haha yea I don't think iv actually typed Why in a long time, I'm just one of those sorta lazy people.

Aussie FTW!

I believe these have a switch or interchangeable cups with or with out vents and open or closed sounding or in between setting on the switch of the custom one pro headphones from beyerdynamic.