Random bluescreens. Propable cause R9 290x MSI gaming edition.

My setup:
CPU:      AMD Phenom II x2 555 unlocked to x4 B55 (relocking is not a possibility, unless thats the cause, in case i will buy a new CPU)
Mobo:    M4A785TD-V EVO
GPU(s): AMD Radeon R9 290x MSI gaming edition (and just for fun, crashed also before adding it, my older GPU Radeon HD 5770 can remove if nessessary)
RAM:     8GB DDR3
PSU:      SF-600P14XE (nonmodular one, everyone and google offers me modular one first....)

Crashdumps (from today, if requested i can add more (49 in total))
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7mruznvop4j2up1/MqOh-EF8JG

My CPU-Z report
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0whsnege87140xk/AQUA-PC.txt

Memory info
http://prntscr.com/3415ts

Propable cause for bluescreens is my new AMD radeon R9 290x MSI gaming edition wich i allready 1 have RMA:ed for bluescreens, no help...

So if someone could take a look at those crashdumps for me and get something out of them i would be realy happy :)

Whocrashed gave me following information

On Tue 25.3.2014 17:00:02 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\032514-12823-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4ADB3C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007746038, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Wiich does not tell me anything usefulll....

If you need any more information, just ask.

I know there is zillion post like this and zillion ansvers, but none of them have worked so far...

Closest to workking was tip to overclock my PCIe clock (upped it to 150 from 100) no problems, and crashes are now less frequent, but they are still there from between 5 minutes to between 5 hours apart

This is the trickiest BSOD error code, hardware problem. If you have a spare of everything (CPU, RAM, GPU, HDD) try swapping them 1 by 1.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

First test the CPU (keep the 290X is system) use occt to stress it out, if it blue screens swap the graphics card around and then stress the cpu again with the 5770. If it blue screens it can be the CPU or a ram problem.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Try "WhoCrashed".

I allready did, if you red the question...

And i allready posted what it told...

First test the CPU (keep the 290X is system) use occt to stress it out, if it blue screens swap the graphics card around and then stress the cpu again with the 5770. If it blue screens it can be the CPU or a ram problem.

Ill try that...

EDIT: I think i found the problem, not saying anything untill it passes my stability test...

I have stress tested it for last 4 hours 50 minutes, first 2 hours with heavy graphix requiring games, and rest with CPU stress test, and my normal PC operation (meaning that CPU at 100% all the time)

So i m leaving my computer running for night at full CPU stability test (occt) and if it passes, no crashes ill post results and the solution here.

Nah, still crash at 4 hour stress test mark.

Ill try with the older GPU now...

Through now i have a record at continuous run of 6 hours!

So after testing with instructions i got from here...

With new GPU random crashes between 1 minuten and 2 hours, if i underclock my CPU to 3.0 Ghz crash frequensy decreases to 1 per 6 hours (in wich 4 was wiht full cpu usage)

With old GPU normal clocks both no crashes at all, no differenses in system or software with full CPU usage, total uptime of system 7.23 hours, stress test result https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ghq0bxiwx4jkg9w/dye0JW0-tb

What should i try next?

I could run memtest86?

My friend had similar crashes on an R9 270x. He couldn't find a solution and just bought a GTX 760. I assume if you have already RMA'd it than you don't want to go Nvidia. My assumption is it is a driver problem. I would suggest wiping your OS and doing a clean reinstall to make sure it isn't an appdata or windows error and it it still blue screens  than I dont know what you should do.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

My friend had similar crashes on an R9 270x. He couldn't find a solution and just bought a GTX 760. I assume if you have already RMA'd it than you don't want to go Nvidia. My assumption is it is a driver problem. I would suggest wiping your OS and doing a clean reinstall to make sure it isn't an appdata or windows error and it it still blue screens  than I dont know what you should do.

Good guess :D

FINALY someone accepts that i do not want to go Nvidia nor intel!!

Thank you for advise, that will be my second last resort, the last one would be to upgrade to windows 8 (wich has solved it for some peoples...)

ATM i m running every plausible stability test from furmark through prime95 to memtes86

Sofar furmark has passed with r9 290x Running prime95 for some time now, then for tonight ill be putting memtest running, tomorrow ill post results.

Good guess :D

FINALY someone accepts that i do not want to go Nvidia nor intel!!

Thank you for advise, that will be my second last resort, the last one would be to upgrade to windows 8 (wich has solved it for some peoples...)

ATM i m running every plausible stability test from furmark through prime95 to memtes86

Sofar furmark has passed with r9 290x Running prime95 for some time now, then for tonight ill be putting memtest running, tomorrow ill post results.

hope you find out whats wrong. Can't wait to see the results.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

Prime95: Pass

Memtest86: 7* Pass

Furmark: Pass

So, asuming those are correct, the components themselves are intact, so the problem would be with Drivers, Motherboard, HDD(s) or SSD, or PSU.

I bought new PSU with my new GPU so it should not be problem atleast for age, and it is gold certified, so it should be decent grade work also, through 1 of my HDD:s and my motherboard are over 5 years old (processor is also, but it passed with clear results on 2 tests)...

Prime95 results https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifokcgzb3uk2h5k/results.txt

EDIT: also i have noticed that the computer is still far mor stable if i underclock my CPU to 3.0Ghz wich is weird as my CPU passed stress tests...

Finaly bothered to do full windows clean install to win8, the computer was fine till i installed GPU drivers... crash.

I m out of ideas guys, i have no more hardware or software to swap, and i have run every possible test, everything says there is nothing wrong with my computer, but everytime i perform an action it has a chanse to crash, this is realy frusturating...

So basicly as an example, if i left it to iddle, it wont crash, but if i leave something on that does anything, everytime that something does anything it has chanse to crash...

• 1 month later...

i have exactly the same problem with same cpu and same mobo. i have r9 290. tried everything. and os cleaninstall wont help. i just got new gpu from guarantee, r9 290, with all the same problems. bsod. g-r-e-a-t. well, i think its time to renew cpu and mobo. if after that still bsod, i will go and find amd headquarters and burn it to the ground. and then back to nvidia. i`ll let u know.