PowerShell Script for Removing specific Windows Updates

JTPOTATO

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to find a batch file that works, so am looking towards Powershell to do this.

I'm needing to uninstall a specific windows update (mainly from windows 10 and 10 pro)

It's the annoying KB5000802 update that is causing the bluescreens and general crashing.

I'm wanting to be able to roll out a script to a few PC's I manage that will uninstall the update silently and not request a reboot after

I've looked everywhere and tried to make one myself, but cannot (I'm nowhere near good enough to develop my own scripts yet... I'm getting there!)

Thanks!

why dont you just use system recovery?

also after you do that, pause your updates as long as it can go so you can prevent it from updating until they fix it

my uncle has been reporting the same thing and this is why i usually avoid feature updates or any big updates to be done.

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

1 minute ago, GorujoCY said:

why dont you just use system recovery?

also after you do that, pause your updates as long as it can go so you can prevent it from updating until they fix it

my uncle has been reporting the same thing and this is why i usually avoid feature updates or any big updates to be done.

Hi there,

I'm really looking for a remote script to be ran against machines remotely.

System recovery is very much a manual, per machine process I'm wanting to avoid if I can.

Thanks though!

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IDK how much googling you have done, but have you tried something like  

wusa /uninstall /kb:4497464

?

Hi there,

Yeah, I'm wanting to avoid using that one, as it will give a prompt on the screen that will require the non-techy person on the machine to manually click the uninstall button.

Using the /quiet command doesn't work in windows 10 anymore either! 😞 

3 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

Hi there,

Yeah, I'm wanting to avoid using that one, as it will give a prompt on the screen that will require the non-techy person on the machine to manually click the uninstall button.

Using the /quiet command doesn't work in windows 10 anymore either! 😞 

How about putting the pswindowsupdate package on the systems then using remove-windowsupdate -kbarticleID KB1234578. Just treid than and it works fine.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

How about putting the pswindowsupdate package on the systems then using remove-windowsupdate -kbarticleID KB1234578. Just treid than and it works fine.

Thanks for that! that could be a great option.

It's just very strange there isn't an inbuilt PowerShell or batch or even VBScript that does this via the KB number silently... maybe I'm asking too much!

7 minutes ago, JTPOTATO said:

Thanks for that! that could be a great option.

It's just very strange there isn't an inbuilt PowerShell or batch or even VBScript that does this via the KB number silently... maybe I'm asking too much!

I mean thats exactly what that powershell module does, and is a pretty easy install away.