How in the actual hell do I get Win10 to share a media drive?

JZStudios

I set the drive to share with full access to everyone and removed the password requirement. Now I can access the PC and the public shared folders, but it still won't let me access the hard drive. I read Win10 freaks out if one of the PC's doesn't have a MS account, and if true, this is beyond ludicrously stupid. It's a media server, I don't want a password and I don't want it tied to a MS account.

#Muricaparrotgang

3 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

I set the drive to share with full access to everyone and removed the password requirement. Now I can access the PC and the public shared folders, but it still won't let me access the hard drive. I read Win10 freaks out if one of the PC's doesn't have a MS account, and if true, this is beyond ludicrously stupid. It's a media server, I don't want a password and I don't want it tied to a MS account.

You might have to do HOSTNAME/hostusername As the login. From my experience access for 'everyone' only works with Domains. Could be wrong tho

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

You might have to do HOSTNAME/hostusername As the login. From my experience access for 'everyone' only works with Domains. Could be wrong tho

It's not even giving me a login window though. I can access the PC and public folders, but the drive it just says I don't have access to, despite me making it set for sharing.

#Muricaparrotgang

Just now, JZStudios said:

It's not even giving me a login window though. I can access the PC and public folders, but the drive it just says I don't have access to, despite me making it set for sharing.

Can you navigate to the machine by opening file explorer and putting \\HOSTNAME\ in the bar at the top? (Not the search bar, the one next to it)

6 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

Can you navigate to the machine by opening file explorer and putting \\HOSTNAME\ in the bar at the top? (Not the search bar, the one next to it)

Yes...?

#Muricaparrotgang

@JZStudiosOn the host machine go into the folder properties and into either Share or advanced sharing. Is the group 'Everyone' Set to full read/write access? Moving to the security tab, check permissions there as well. 

Just now, TubsAlwaysWins said:

@JZStudiosOn the host machine go into the folder properties and into either Share or advanced sharing. Is the group 'Everyone' Set to full read/write access? Moving to the security tab, check permissions there as well. 

Advanced sharing I set everyone to full access. I can check security.

#Muricaparrotgang

I don't think security is an issue, but it does seem to only show home as a location for allowed users?

Untitled.thumb.png.81ec96b7beb380f8b2ee7497afb62097.png

#Muricaparrotgang

I was trying to do this too and ended up just getting so fed up trying to get shared drives to work that I just built a server and am running TrueNAS Core on it.

On 3/14/2021 at 1:52 AM, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

Install Linux Mint and forget that Bill Gates ever lived. It's easier that way

That might work for the media server, as long as Plex has a Linux build, but I don't want to learn another OS, and in the off time it's going to be a PC for my very tech illiterate mother who wants to use email, excel, quickbooks, etc.

Serious question though, why are people so eager to suggest a non-solution to a problem?

#Muricaparrotgang

11 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Serious question though, why are people so eager to suggest a non-solution to a problem?

Because typically people who have a media server will have it as a dedicated box, so its a much easier solution than constantly fighting the changes Microsoft make to Windows which often break things you finally got working correctly.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

57 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Because typically people who have a media server will have it as a dedicated box, so its a much easier solution than constantly fighting the changes Microsoft make to Windows which often break things you finally got working correctly.

Yeah, well I just nuked it and reverted back to Win7. Take that Michaelsoft!

#Muricaparrotgang

On 3/15/2021 at 9:06 AM, JZStudios said:

That might work for the media server, as long as Plex has a Linux build, but I don't want to learn another OS, and in the off time it's going to be a PC for my very tech illiterate mother who wants to use email, excel, quickbooks, etc.

THAT is just a matter of understanding. You see....... Linux Mint (specifically Cinnamon) operates pretty much  exactly like Windows 10. Matter of fact, I and a few of my friends that have tech illiterate parents (that don't use crap loads of windows only software) have changed them over to Linux Mint and with about 10 minutes of instruction, they are off like a herd of turtles and in my case, my tech support requirement for them went to basically nothing. They can use all open source software like Open Office which does all the same stuff that Office does without the cost or 'software as a service' APP BS. In the case of the media server, I have an older, less powerful Dell desktop in my collection of computers and it is running Plex Media Server, on an install of Linux Mint Cinnamon and it is so dependable, I haven't had to restart or kick it in the balls in 6 months. With Microshaft's weekly breaking updates, I couldn't keep it stable for longer than a few weeks. Mint is a very small install footprint and doesn't have all the bullshit that fills memory, plugs hard drives or forces you to keep telling it to piss off when it wants to force Edge down your throat. The learning curve to figure out Mint is about as easy as changing from one level of OS on your cell phone to the next. So is it a non-solution? Nope. But it IS something you should look at. Maybe I didn't give you a great detailed answer to your question, but I don't tend to hold people's hands and lead them to every answer's fulfillment. So... go download Mint onto a thumb drive and plug it into your computer and play with it. You will be kind of amazed...

11 hours ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

they are off like a herd of turtles

Y'know, only like 10% of them actually make it to the ocean, and even less to adulthood.

We're still using office 2007. My dad doesn't trust the cloud. Any cloud. He won't put music on the cloud for listening because he doesn't want them to know he listens to Joe Walsh. Meanwhile he uses Pandora all the time.

In other terms, I've reinstalled Win7, and now the Plex server is running smoothly, the OS isn't crashing, and the USB ports are working again. Unfortunately I do now need a new code since I used the Win7 code on the Win10 install and apparently it doesn't want to go back.

#Muricaparrotgang

You really need an unlocked copy of Win7. Can't tell you where to get one, but they are out there and have been for a very long time. But that is good to know you have win 7 stable.

1 hour ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

You really need an unlocked copy of Win7. Can't tell you where to get one, but they are out there and have been for a very long time. But that is good to know you have win 7 stable.

Eh. Win7 codes are cheap.

#Muricaparrotgang