-1% GPU usage & crash

vK 3 1 RON

Hi guys, I've been dealing with this for a couple weeks, but in the past two days it's gotten really bad where every hour or so my PC will crash in certain aspects, I'll still be able to Ctrl+S to save work, and then open task manager, but shortly after clicking 'Performance', to monitor my usage, I notice that my GPU usage is -1%. Which would indicate that my drivers crashed, I tried the good old Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to restart but this only works like 10% of the time. 

I tried using DDU to reinstall earlier drivers that were more stable, I'll probably give that another go, reverting to an even earlier driver. 

I swapped to using 2/4 sticks of RAM.

Reseated CPU Cooler and applied new thermal paste.

Took out GPU and gave it a compressed air clean, along with the rest of the system.

Still not really any changes, I still have this crash. I tried googling around but couldn't find any articles/posts about "-1% GPU usage crash" so I'm posting here in hopes someone has experienced/seen this problem before and can offer some advice on what component is broken or if any component is at all, and this could possibly just be a driver issue. 

Specs

I7-5820k @ Stock (Removed all overclocks)

2400Mhz 16GB corsair (2133Mhz, as I've removed the XMP // any manual overclock I did before) 

MSI X99a Gaming 7 motherboard

MSI GamingX 1080 ti 

G2 750W PSU

Any help is appreciated, thanks a bunch guys 🙂

11 minutes ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

Hi guys, I've been dealing with this for a couple weeks, but in the past two days it's gotten really bad where every hour or so my PC will crash in certain aspects, I'll still be able to Ctrl+S to save work, and then open task manager, but shortly after clicking 'Performance', to monitor my usage, I notice that my GPU usage is -1%. Which would indicate that my drivers crashed, I tried the good old Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to restart but this only works like 10% of the time. 

I tried using DDU to reinstall earlier drivers that were more stable, I'll probably give that another go, reverting to an even earlier driver. 

Took out GPU and gave it a compressed air clean, along with the rest of the system.

Still not really any changes, I still have this crash. I tried googling around but couldn't find any articles/posts about "-1% GPU usage crash" so I'm posting here in hopes someone has experienced/seen this problem before and can offer some advice on what component is broken or if any component is at all, and this could possibly just be a driver issue. 

Specs

2400Mhz 16GB corsair (2133Mhz, as I've removed the XMP // any manual overclock I did before) 

MSI GamingX 1080 ti 

G2 750W PSU

What is the GPU temp?

2 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

What is the GPU temp?

like 60-70 max, nothing near the 82 thermal limit 

15 minutes ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

Specs

MSI GamingX 1080 ti 

G2 750W PSU

what nvidia driver were you using? the new 461.72 is really shitty, i reverted back to the previous one and all of my problems were fixed..

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

3 minutes ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

like 60-70 max, nothing near the 82 thermal limit 

Is that idle or under load?

10 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Is that idle or under load?

tbh it's under idle, but that's just because my motherboard reset it's fan curves and I haven't been bothered to ramp them back up yet. So I've got an AIO on the front intake and then 2 exhausts which are kinda slow rn.

But when these crashes have been happening, I've been on chrome, or just doing some light coding in visual studio, nothing GPU intensive. 

11 minutes ago, 1ppOverheat said:

what nvidia driver were you using? the new 461.72 is really shitty, i reverted back to the previous one and all of my problems were fixed..

Checking Geforce Now, apparently that's installed, I could've sworn I went before that but whatever, I will DDU and then install some earlier drivers 👍 

9 minutes ago, vK 3 1 RON said:

Checking Geforce Now, apparently that's installed, I could've sworn I went before that but whatever, I will DDU and then install some earlier drivers 👍 

Great, give feedback after.. this should hopefully fix your issue..

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

I've done this all, but it just crashed again. No fix found so far. Any other ideas? Maybe even earlier drivers?

2 hours ago, Stoompieee said:

I've done this all, but it just crashed again. No fix found so far. Any other ideas? Maybe even earlier drivers?

And you're also not the OP

>.>

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

And you're also not the OP

>.>

I don’t understand. What do you mean?

3 minutes ago, Stoompieee said:

I don’t understand. What do you mean?

I'm saying why would you post in a thread where someone says they have "-1% gpu usage"  acting like you have the same exact issue lol...

Doesn't make sense unless you're OPs alt,  which would still be weird,  but less so.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'm saying why would you post in a thread where someone says they have "-1% gpu usage"  acting like you have the same exact issue lol...

Doesn't make sense unless you're OPs alt,  which would still be weird,  but less so.

I’m not anyone’s alt lol. I posted in someone else’s post because I also have the -1% gpu usage problem. In the video you can see that. I’m just trying to fix my problem man.

5 minutes ago, Stoompieee said:

I also have the -1% gpu usage problem. In the video you can see that. I’m just trying to fix my problem man.

Ok, but which video?  Now I'm really confused lol. 

That sounds really like an odd bug... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Ok, but which video?  Now I'm really confused lol. 

That sounds really like an odd bug... 

look at the post I posted on my account. There I explain my issue. The video is also there.

23 minutes ago, Stoompieee said:

look at the post I posted on my account. There I explain my issue. The video is also there.

Huh, ok, seems to be a widespread issue... almost user error cause why would you download a driver that's specifically designed to nerf gpus... anyways I replied to the thread, I think this should be fixable with the suggestions I made .

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity