Recommendations for 5800X + 3070?

GuitarBro

Currently building a PC with a Ryzen 5800X and (eventually) a RTX 3070 and it's come time to pick a PSU. Currently eyeing the EVGA 750 BQ 110-BQ-0750-V1 80+ BRONZE since it seems reasonably well reviewed for a reasonable price, but I'm interested in hearing any thoughts and/or suggestions if there's something better you guys would recommend.

I'm aware I can probably get by with less than 750W for this specific combination, but I'm looking for something that will work for at least 1 GPU upgrade in the next ~8 years (would rather be on the safe side since who knows what power draw will be like at that point).

Mainly just concerned with getting the best quality for my money since I'd rather not have my PSU killing a 5800X and 3070. 😉

Hi there!

8 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

Currently building a PC with a Ryzen 5800X and (eventually) a RTX 3070 and it's come time to pick a PSU. Currently eyeing the EVGA 750 BQ 110-BQ-0750-V1 80+ BRONZE since it seems reasonably well reviewed for a reasonable price, but I'm interested in hearing any thoughts and/or suggestions if there's something better you guys would recommend.

I'm aware I can probably get by with less than 750W for this specific combination, but I'm looking for something that will work for at least 1 GPU upgrade in the next ~8 years (would rather be on the safe side since who knows what power draw will be like at that point).

Mainly just concerned with getting the best quality for my money since I'd rather not have my PSU killing a 5800X and 3070. 😉

Budget? I'd probably recommend a enermax revolution D.F 850w or a antec earthwatts gold pro 650w. The BQ is a pretty bad PSU. 

Also, the 5800x runs quite hot and isn't great value (5600x, 6 cores $300 || 5800x, 8 cores, $449|| 5900x, 12 cores, $549. In-game performance difference between the chips aren't huge)/ What will you be doing with your pc? I'd probably recommend a 5600x if you're gaming, it'll save you a fair bit of money ($150 for the cpu, probably $60+ for the cooler since you can just use stock) andyou won't sacrifice much performance. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Budget? I'd probably recommend a enermax revolution D.F 850w or a antec earthwatts gold pro 650w. The BQ is a pretty bad PSU. 

Also, the 5800x runs quite hot and isn't great value (5600x, 6 cores $300 || 5800x, 8 cores, $449|| 5900x, 12 cores, $549. In-game performance difference between the chips aren't huge)/ What will you be doing with your pc? I'd probably recommend a 5600x if you're gaming, it'll save you a fair bit of money ($150 for the cpu, probably $60+ for the cooler since you can just use stock) andyou won't sacrifice much performance. 

Sorry, totally forgot to list budget lol. I'd like to spend under $100 on the PSU but I'm flexible to spend what's needed to protect the rest of my investment.

Good to hear that the BQ isn't great before I got it, will probably steer clear of it then.

Thanks for the other recommendations, those looks pretty solid. The price of the Antec is more tempting but I'll have to debate myself how important the wattage wiggle room is.

As for the CPU, I'm set on the 5800X (already sitting next to me on my desk 😛). I do some of everything (playing games, developing games, 3D rendering in Blender, video editing, audio production, running virtual machines, etc.). I'm sure I can justify the extra cores over the 5600X but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the 5900X, so 5800X it was.

Hi there!

1 minute ago, GuitarBro said:

Sorry, totally forgot to list budget lol. I'd like to spend under $100 on the PSU but I'm flexible to spend what's needed to protect the rest of my investment.

Good to hear that the BQ isn't great before I got it, will probably steer clear of it then.

Thanks for the other recommendations, those looks pretty solid. The price of the Antec is more tempting but I'll have to debate myself how important the wattage wiggle room is.

As for the CPU, I'm set on the 5800X (already sitting next to me on my desk 😛). I do some of everything (playing games, developing games, 3D rendering in Blender, video editing, audio production, running virtual machines, etc.). I'm sure I can justify the extra cores over the 5600X but I'm not willing to pay the premium for the 5900X, so 5800X it was.

The thing is value. You're paying $150 for 2 more cores over the 5600x for the 5800x, and $100 more for 4 more on the 5800x to the 5900x. I mean the 5800x is a fine CPU, I'd just say a 10700 for an 8 core or a 5600x/5900x are better value. Also what's your cooler?

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

The thing is value. You're paying $150 for 2 more cores over the 5600x for the 5800x, and $100 more for 4 more on the 5800x to the 5900x. I mean the 5800x is a fine CPU, I'd just say a 10700 for an 8 core or a 5600x/5900x are better value. Also what's your cooler?

Not set on a cooler yet. Probably planning on going air cooled since I'm not inclined to take the risk of an AIO and I don't want to bother with a custom loop.

I'm willing to pay the premium over the 10700 since I'd like the PCIe 4 support for fast NVMe SSDs and would like the single thread performance advantage the 5800x has.

Hi there!

Think I'll probably go with the Antec earthwatts gold pro 650w and cross my fingers my next GPU upgrade won't be too demanding.

Gonna wait a while too see if the price drops any, so if anyone else sees this and wants to chime in with any other suggestions, feel free. I appreciate the help.

Hi there!

On 3/12/2021 at 11:39 PM, Brok3n But who cares? said:

antec earthwatts gold pro 650w

Quick n00b question since you suggested it, I saw on the PSU tier list it lists the earthwatts gold pro post 2018 specifically. Am I correct in assuming that anything earlier is not so great and should be avoided? If so, any tips to make sure I don't get an old unit ordering online? As far as I can tell amazon doesn't have any info about the year on their listing.

Hi there!

2 minutes ago, GuitarBro said:

Quick n00b question since you suggested it, I saw on the PSU tier list it lists the earthwatts gold pro post 2018 specifically. Am I correct in assuming that anything earlier is not so great and should be avoided? If so, any tips to make sure I don't get an old unit ordering online? As far as I can tell amazon doesn't have any info about the year on their listing.

You probably shouldn't be getting a 2018 or older unit unless the seller specifically lists the PSUs they're selling as such. I wouldn't really worry If I were you.