Difference in performance if upgrading

Is it smart to upgrade from Xeon X5650 to X5687 or X5690 for 90-100$?

And if it is,how big would the FPS difference be?

I have 10GB DDR3 (not triple channeled) and a 1070Ti

EDIT2: I just remembered another question. How much FPS would I gain if i went to 12GB Triple Channel?

Edited by AXLP_LaZEReD
added another question

7 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

for 90-100$?

that's way too expensive. Consider an X5670 from aliexpress or ebay for like $20, if possible. Otherwise, the upgrade is far too expensive. As for ram,

7 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

How much FPS would I gain if i went to 12GB Triple Channel?

can't give an exact number. But, modern games benefit a lot from more memory bandwidth, so triple channel is recommended. I say upgrade ram first, and see if it delivers good performance in the games you play.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

that's way too expensive. Consider an X5670 from aliexpress or ebay for like $20, if possible. Otherwise, the upgrade is far too expensive. As for ram,

can't give an exact number. But, modern games benefit a lot from more memory bandwidth, so triple channel is recommended. I say upgrade ram first, and see if it delivers good performance in the games you play.

alright,ill look for a X5670.. in that case,how much performance would i gain?

as for RAM,ill see what to do. I might just go yolo without caring and do 16GB no-channel,because i would need to kick all of my RAM sticks out and find another 12GB RAM kit,because currently all my RAM sticks are mixed as hell. I know it is stupid,but i was in a need of more RAM so i just yoloed it.

And since money is a biiiig issue... just adding more mixed sticks is cheaper (of course being cautious about speeds etc..)

I literally need a new case,fix my 2nd monitor,and a new mouse.

18 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

as for RAM,ill see what to do. I might just go yolo without caring and do 16GB no-channel,because i would need to kick all of my RAM sticks out and find another 12GB RAM kit,because currently all my RAM sticks are mixed as hell

6x2GB is pretty cheap, you should keep any 2GB sticks and add more if that's what you're working with. Single channel 16GB won't give you a performance gain if you're not using more than 10GB, so you would have no reason to buy more ram anyway if you're not getting better multi-channel support. The only reason to get more ram is if you will use it! Or if it's faster.

18 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

alright,ill look for a X5670.. in that case,how much performance would i gain?

Same amount of cores, same architecture, the only difference is in the clock speeds. Although, what motherboard do you have? The X5670 was known to be a good overclocker, and I only recommend upgrading to it if your current CPU doesn't overclock well. If your motherboard doesn't overclock, the upgrade will be very small. (Clock speed difference of only .3 GHz)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

58 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

Is it smart to upgrade from Xeon X5650 to X5687 or X5690 for 90-100$?

And if it is,how big would the FPS difference be?

I have 10GB DDR3 (not triple channeled) and a 1070Ti

EDIT2: I just remembered another question. How much FPS would I gain if i went to 12GB Triple Channel?

I honestly wouldn't upgrade your ram before your cpu, but the cpu you mentioned is not really a significant upgrade. (you could even try to overclock it to x5690, it overclocks pretty well) 

So considering that, if you are running out of memory I would upgrade that first. Memory speed is not really beneficial for an old Xeon as it might be for a current ryzen cpu. The first upgrade is probably an other cpu than you mentioned.  (and ram as you might need to upgrade to DDR4)

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Well, the maximum i managed to OC my cpu is 3.4Ghz. My motherboard is ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution.

My RAM speed is 1333Mhz, and I pretty much suffer from low RAM sometimes (I multitask often) so if im running a game and multitasking on a browser,its slow because my RAM ramps up to 90%. Example: Im running Apex on my main monitor,and a browser with Twitch open on 2nd,my RAM hits 85-90% and sometimes i get stutters in Apex. If i close my browser,I get no stuttering at all because my memory usage drops to 75-80%.

Right now i have 4+2+2+2, making it 10GB DDR3, they are all same speed 1333Mhz,just different brands.

23 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

Well, the maximum i managed to OC my cpu is 3.4Ghz. My motherboard is ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution.

an X5670 might actually give you a good boost then, I have see a lot of users get close to 4GHz. You can easily find some overclock guides for a good starting point on that CPU.

23 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

Right now i have 4+2+2+2, making it 10GB DDR3, they are all same speed 1333Mhz,just different brands.

ok, selling the 4GB and buying 3x2GB would be my recommended upgrade for the ram (or, buy 2x4GB if you think you need even more)

triple channel 1333 has good bandwidth, more than dual channel 1833, so it's really not bad. Also, having enough ram for your uses will have the biggest performance boost you can get.

Primary PC:

8 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

an X5670 might actually give you a good boost then, I have see a lot of users get close to 4GHz.

ok, selling the 4GB and buying 3x2GB would be my recommended upgrade for the ram (or, buy 2x4GB if you think you need even more)

triple channel 1333 has good bandwidth, more than dual channel 1833, so it's really not bad. Also, having enough ram for your uses will have the biggest performance boost you can get.

going for 3x2GB would put me at 12GB with all 6 slots filled... for some reason I don't like the sound of that. Filling all slots with only a 2GB upgrade.

I'd rather go for 4+4+2+2+2+2 1333Mhz honestly 😛 Fill all slots,with a 6GB Upgrade (16GB in total)

EDIT: i just checked prices, literally going for 3x2GB is more expensive than adding a 4 and 2GB..

3x2GB is 30-35$, 4GB and 2GB is 20-25$

Edited by AXLP_LaZEReD
prices

2 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

I'd rather go for 4+4+2+2+2+2

I would say go for 4+4+4+2+2+2 if you can, so you get full triple channel

or if you want to get weird with it, 4+4+4+1+1+1 for 15GB, when was the last time you saw that lol

Primary PC:

I would say go for 4+4+4+2+2+2 if you can, so you get full triple channel

or if you want to get weird with it, 4+4+4+1+1+1 for 15GB, when was the last time you saw that lol

thats actually smart. 4+4+4+2+2+2=18GB...

that means getting 2x4GB's,would cost around 30-35$. Now im not sure,are different brands a problem? only 2x2GB are same brand,everything else is different brand.

3 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

that means getting 2x4GB's,would cost around 30-35$. Now im not sure,are different brands a problem? only 2x2GB are same brand,everything else is different brand.

for 1333MHz, mixing brands is hardly an issue. usually one of the problems of mixing brands is that you can't run ram very fast, but for your setup, it should run ok. 

also, even if the ram only runs at 1066 for some reason, triple channel 1066 is faster than dual channel 1333 so it's still not bad.

Primary PC:

for 1333MHz, mixing brands is hardly an issue. usually one of the problems of mixing brands is that you can't run ram very fast, but for your setup, it should run ok. 

also, even if the ram only runs at 1066 for some reason, triple channel 1066 is faster than dual channel 1333 so it's still not bad.

from what i can see,my RAM runs at 1333Mhz (as task manager says)

1 minute ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

from what i can see,my RAM runs at 1333Mhz (as task manager says)

It is possible that adding a super cheap set of dimms will make the system run at 1066 (slow ram is so cheap on the used market), but of course if you make sure to buy 1333 that's not something to worry about.

Primary PC:

It is possible that adding a super cheap set of dimms will make the system run at 1066 (slow ram is so cheap on the used market), but of course if you make sure to buy 1333 that's not something to worry about.

yeah i understand, and im aiming to get 1333Mhz sticks,nothing below or above,i want all sticks to match 1333Mhz speed.

With my X5690 E.S. I can run 4+4 and fill the rest with 2s and it loves it. Don't worry about buying fast ram, you wont be able to take advantage of it with an X series, if you want to play with memory speed through dividers you need to get a W series Xeon. But you should be able to go fast enough to have a little fun. You should be able to get at about 1000MHz out of your sticks in a stable fashion if they are decent.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Frozen Edge 360, 5x TL-B12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B12, TY-143

okay,ill just go for 4+4+4+2+2+2,and probably stay with the x5650,save up $20 by not going for 5670 and add those money for my new mouse.

I hope this ^ is smart because i really need a new mouse (planning to get a steelseries rival 3)

12 minutes ago, AXLP_LaZEReD said:

x5650

Bump the BCLK speed up from 133 MHz to 200 MHz. Adjust the memory multiplier so your CPU memory runs in spec. Add some CPU voltage until your computer is stable. It is dead simple overclocking the 6 core Westmere CPUs. Here is an example of a W3670. These sell for $27 on eBay but I would just significantly overclock what you already have.

0XxLLWh.png

UPDATE: I figured out what brands my DIMMs are;
4GB 1333Mhz- Patriot

2GB 1333Mhz-Kingston

2X2GB Low Profile 1333Mhz-Kingston