Temps and Fan Noise on 5800X and H100i

cliffflip

Hi,
I bought a Ryzen 5800X and Corsair H100i Elite Capellix last week and I have some concerns regarding the temperature and the fan noise. On idle, the CPU's temperature is about 40c (on Ryzen Master), and the cooler noise barely noticeable, but on load (especially when playing games), the CPU's temperature can reach 70c with loud fans noise. I can’t tell the exact decibel level but from iCue it spins higher than 2000rpm.

I already set the q-fan config in bios to be ‘silent', selected ‘quiet’ fans profile on iCue, and limiting fps on the Radeon app but it doesn’t help much. I use a standard thermal paste (Cooler Master Regular) but I don’t think it’s better than the pre-applied paste. I live in Jakarta and room temperature can reach 30c, although it can be lower when I turn on the air conditioner, normally I only use it in the evening though.

I’m thinking about swapping the fans with the quieter ones but not sure to choose between value or performance products. I saw this comparison video on youtube (and hear how loud the stock ML120 fans are) and I think I’ll choose between the value Arctic P12, be quiet Silent Wings 3, or go with the Noctua NF-A12x25.

But I have some question before making the buy:
1. Between the 3 fans I mentioned, which should I buy in terms of a balance of value and performance? Especially on the noise level on load? If there are better choices please tell me.

2. The H100i included fans (ML120) are connected with this hub that’s powered by a SATA port and connected to a USB 2 header, while the CPU fans port is occupied by the pump. Where should I plug the replacement fans?

3. Does a ‘performance’ thermal paste really makes different results comparing to a regular paste? If yes, I’m thinking to buy a Noctua NT-H2, or is there a better option?

Please help, thanks in advance.

For a stock 5800x on a 240 AIO, those temps look perfectly normal. 

This question comes up a few times a week, usually from people coming from something like a 2700x like I did. 

5000 series just runs hot, simple as that. There are some things you can do like play with the curve optimizer like I did on my 5800x/360 AIO, however during a full Cinebench run, I still hit ~79-80C. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

For a stock 5800x on a 240 AIO, those temps look perfectly normal. 

This question comes up a few times a week, usually from people coming from something like a 2700x like I did. 

5000 series just runs hot, simple as that. There are some things you can do like play with the curve optimizer like I did on my 5800x/360 AIO, however during a full Cinebench run, I still hit ~79-80C. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-views-ryzen-5000-cpu-temperatures-up-to-95c-as-typical-and-by-design/

I agree. Also make sure that the pump is not pwm controlled and runs at full speed or 12 Volts all the time to compensate for load spikes better. I'd go with premium fans over cheap ones. Replacing the thermal paste maybe gets you 1C less. Maybe more if the application was bad before or the surface of the coldplate isn't perfectly flat.The ML120 fans are pretty loud under full load but do move a lot of air. Still I would get a pair of SP120 fans (if Corsair is what you want) or for me, a pair of Noctua NF-F12 fans with a fan curve to max fan speed above 60-65C. At 50% speed those fans are very quiet. However you will loose RGB, so if that is something you want / need, consider Corsair or the new LianLi fans that connect together, if you can find them.

Thanks rickeo and Applefreak for your replies.

I use 3600X with a stock cooler before using 5800X, I was never paying attention to the temperature because then I rarely playing games, and if I did, they are casual or less demanding games. By the way, I've looked around on fan curve settings but haven't found an app to do that. on iCue there is only a fixed percentage and I chose 50% (the fans aren't so loud with this) but then I freaked out as the temperature reaches 90c. It's good to know now that it's normal with 5800X.

34 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I agree. Also make sure that the pump is not pwm controlled and runs at full speed or 12 Volts all the time to compensate for load spikes better. I'd go with premium fans over cheap ones. Replacing the thermal paste maybe gets you 1C less. Maybe more if the application was bad before or the surface of the coldplate isn't perfectly flat.The ML120 fans are pretty loud under full load but do move a lot of air. Still I would get a pair of SP120 fans (if Corsair is what you want) or for me, a pair of Noctua NF-F12 fans with a fan curve to max fan speed above 60-65C. At 50% speed those fans are very quiet. However you will loose RGB, so if that is something you want / need, consider Corsair or the new LianLi fans that connect together, if you can find them.

The pump connects to a CPU fan header on the mainboard while the fans (and the LEDs) connect to this included hub, so I'm not sure if this PWM controlled or not. I thought about buying the Silent Wings 3 (prefers Noctua tbh, but not their colors) but I read they have less performance than the ML120, so once again I'm not sure right now. Do you think Corsair SP120 is more a balance of performance and low noise? RGB isn't really important to me.

there is some good information here but alot of missing info.

max temp of the CPU is like 95c. 

your temps are fine.

the problems is noise. the stock fan are good. they aren't  elite level but it's fine. 

@Applefreakis right and wrong. yes you should have the pump at max speed, but how you do that is wrong. pump speed is controlled in icue. 

icue doesnt allow for full control over your pump speed. in icue you'll have 3 options for pump speed.

extreme ( full speed all the time)

balances ( quiet mode under idle, extreme under load) 

quiet ( think its 70% speed) 

I reccomend just leaving it on extreme. if the pump noise is loud give it a couple running it should get better.

fan control 

the fans that connected to the pump are also controlled in icue. only fans connected to the motherboard will be controlled in bios /qfan. 

personally I think both (icue and qfan) presets are not that good.

in icue you can make you own custom fan curve. I reccomend you do that. also check what sensor is being used. I think default is water temp. it has it advantages but to make it easier for you switch it to CPU temp.

I'd set something like

90c 100%

83c 85%

75c 60/65%

40c 30%

that should a good starting point icue.

qfan

for qfan it a bit weird as Asus makes fans jump to 100% at 75c. only certain motherboard allow this to be disable in bios others you have to use armory create or ai 3 suite.

try making you own curve in qfan too without the extra software then try with if you want.

if your not happy with that then try new fans.

also what case do you have? what case fans? how are the positioned in the case?

I’m using Graphite 760T, with the radiator mounted on top. The case is about half meter in front right from my position. Other than H100i, there are only 2 140mm included front fans and three fans from the gpu (RX 6800 XT)

I will check the custom fan curve like you suggested, thanks.

You can always swap the fans on that aio. Arctic p12:s are much better and about 12€ a pair.