Need some help to build a new PC

Zelphyr

Budget (including currency): SGD1,750.00 (would be willing to go up to SGD2,000 if there is value in going over budget)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I  play RTS, Open world RPGs (Skyrim, Assassin Creed, etc.), running android emulators and mainly web browsing/watching shows. I also wanna play games like Genshin Impact and Dyson Sphere Program. 

Other details

Current system:

CPU: INTEL I5-8400 2.8ghz 9Mb Lga1151 Cpu

MoBo: MSI H370m Bazooka (1151) Mainboard

RAM: GSKILL F4-2666-16GVR1 Ripjaw V

Case: PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P350X Tempered

GPU: GTX 970

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 3.5"

SSD: PLEXTOR PX-128M5Pro

PSU: XIGMATEK TAURO POWER FORCE 80 PLUS BRONZE (Not sure about the Wattage though, think its 600W)

Monitor 1: DELL S2721DGF (1440p)

Monitor 2: DELL U2515H (1440p)

So a little background, i have gotten my PC in the past from a boutique PC shop which i gave the guy a budget and he picks and builds the PC for me, as such i have zero experience about actually picking the parts.

I'm looking for a PC that can hopefully last me for a few years, probably the next 3-4 years, as such i got a couple of questions;
1. I am deciding between a RTX 3070 or a Radeon 6800 or even the newer RTX3060/Ti, most of the reviewers that i saw do list the both of them with similar performance but the 3070 having a better frames per dollar value.
However, i do note that the 6800 has much more VRAM as compared to the 3070, as such i would like to know how much of a difference would the amount of VRAM make 2-3 years down the road? 
2. I have saw that most people would recommend 16GB of RAM and that would suffice, however as i am running a dual monitor set up and i do run either Chrome/emulators frequently while running my main game, would 16GB be enough to run? If not, what would actually be the bottleneck? the CPU? When i do it now, i do get lag and occasional crashes from time to time. 
3. Is there anything worth keeping from my current setup?

I am not looking at buying the PC now but would be looking to getting it in a month or 2 once prices/parts availability would have some what stabilised (i hope....). 

44 minutes ago, Zelphyr said:

Budget (including currency): SGD1,750.00 (would be willing to go up to SGD2,000 if there is value in going over budget)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: I  play RTS, Open world RPGs (Skyrim, Assassin Creed, etc.), running android emulators and mainly web browsing/watching shows. I also wanna play games like Genshin Impact and Dyson Sphere Program. 

Other details

Current system:

CPU: INTEL I5-8400 2.8ghz 9Mb Lga1151 Cpu

MoBo: MSI H370m Bazooka (1151) Mainboard

RAM: GSKILL F4-2666-16GVR1 Ripjaw V

Case: PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P350X Tempered

GPU: GTX 970

HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM010 3.5"

SSD: PLEXTOR PX-128M5Pro

PSU: XIGMATEK TAURO POWER FORCE 80 PLUS BRONZE (Not sure about the Wattage though, think its 600W)

Monitor 1: DELL S2721DGF (1440p)

Monitor 2: DELL U2515H (1440p)

So a little background, i have gotten my PC in the past from a boutique PC shop which i gave the guy a budget and he picks and builds the PC for me, as such i have zero experience about actually picking the parts.

I'm looking for a PC that can hopefully last me for a few years, probably the next 3-4 years, as such i got a couple of questions;
1. I am deciding between a RTX 3070 or a Radeon 6800 or even the newer RTX3060/Ti, most of the reviewers that i saw do list the both of them with similar performance but the 3070 having a better frames per dollar value.
However, i do note that the 6800 has much more VRAM as compared to the 3070, as such i would like to know how much of a difference would the amount of VRAM make 2-3 years down the road? 
2. I have saw that most people would recommend 16GB of RAM and that would suffice, however as i am running a dual monitor set up and i do run either Chrome/emulators frequently while running my main game, would 16GB be enough to run? If not, what would actually be the bottleneck? the CPU? When i do it now, i do get lag and occasional crashes from time to time. 
3. Is there anything worth keeping from my current setup?

I am not looking at buying the PC now but would be looking to getting it in a month or 2 once prices/parts availability would have some what stabilised (i hope....). 

1. I dont think that the extra VRAM will make too much difference in the next 2-4 years, I would go with the 3070 or maybe the 3060 if you really want the extra VRAM but still decent ray tracing support.

2. 16GB should be enough. I run a dual monitor setup too and never ever had any problems with my RAM usage, even if I was gaming on my main monitor and watching movies/videos on my secondary display. Go with the 16GB and if you start getting problems with it, upgrade in the future, although I doubt you will have problems.

3. Keep as much as you can, save the money foe better parts. The SSD and HDD will work in any system + you don't have to transfer the data manually. If you go for 16GB of RAM and you are happy with the RAM you have right now - keep it, use it. Obviously you will need to change your GPU and so on if you want it to last for the next 3-4 years. If you are happy with the case - keep it, use it. 

Try to use as much as possible from your old system and spend the saved money either on better parts you are buying or just save the money.

Hope this was helpful.

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

39 minutes ago, Jayzer said:

Thanks for the recommendation! would the stock cooler suffice for the CPU? or would i be better of getting an after market one? (i dont plan on overclocking)

51 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

1. I dont think that the extra VRAM will make too much difference in the next 2-4 years, I would go with the 3070 or maybe the 3060 if you really want the extra VRAM but still decent ray tracing support.

2. 16GB should be enough. I run a dual monitor setup too and never ever had any problems with my RAM usage, even if I was gaming on my main monitor and watching movies/videos on my secondary display. Go with the 16GB and if you start getting problems with it, upgrade in the future, although I doubt you will have problems.

3. Keep as much as you can, save the money foe better parts. The SSD and HDD will work in any system + you don't have to transfer the data manually. If you go for 16GB of RAM and you are happy with the RAM you have right now - keep it, use it. Obviously you will need to change your GPU and so on if you want it to last for the next 3-4 years. If you are happy with the case - keep it, use it. 

Try to use as much as possible from your old system and spend the saved money either on better parts you are buying or just save the money.

Hope this was helpful.

Thanks! it was helpful! i do plan on upgrading my SSD to a m.2 nvme one as my boot drive and probably getting another sata SSD perhaps to serve as my main storage, my current SSD is quite old and small.

Stock cooler works at around 70°C, so you don't have to worry a lot.

But if you want to buy a cooler for safe measures, you can get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition.

→  Kindly quote or mention me if you would like a reply back.

<famous quote>

1 minute ago, Jayzer said:

Stock cooler works at around 70°C, so you don't have to worry a lot.

But if you want to buy a cooler for safe measures, you can get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition.

cool! thanks! 

P.s. yes the pun was intended!