Tutorials to learn C++ or C-

kobe_fox

Hey all members of the LTT Forums, I have recently been trying to learn scripting as a start to try and prepare for my (Maybe) upcoming job as a technician in my home city. I have already watched multiple 4 hour videos and they did nothing at all. If anyone could suggest a good video or document on how to learn C++ Or C- ( Both would be great) I would love if you could drop a link or a document in the Topic below.

Yes I'm a newbie...

I do have experience with multiple windows versions though and I do use VMware sometimes if that matters at all.

2 minutes ago, kobe_fox said:

Hey all members of the LTT Forums, I have recently been trying to learn scripting as a start to try and prepare for my (Maybe) upcoming job as a technician in my home city. I have already watched multiple 4 hour videos and they did nothing at all. If anyone could suggest a good video or document on how to learn C++ Or C- ( Both would be great) I would love if you could drop a link or a document in the Topic below.

Yes I'm a newbie...

I do have experience with multiple windows versions though and I do use VMware sometimes if that matters at all.

I recently started learning Unity and got no where

But I then found a tutorial on GTA in unity, and that is my goal, and i am learning that

I would find an achievable goal, and work towards that.

5 minutes ago, Spudwell06 said:

I recently started learning Unity and got no where

But I then found a tutorial on GTA in unity, and that is my goal, and i am learning that

I would find an achievable goal, and work towards that.

Thanks I already am trying to get my mate on a project with me who somehow knows how to do bot C++ and C- but he wont answer cus he has got a pretty bad PC which shouldn't be running windows 10. At the moment im thinking of making a basic game, not meant to be released to the public but just a test for me. I am slowly working towards it but unity is pretty hard to me, Thinking of moving to unreal engine or something else idk. Thanks either way. 👍

2 minutes ago, kobe_fox said:

Thanks I already am trying to get my mate on a project with me who somehow knows how to do bot C++ and C- but he wont answer cus he has got a pretty bad PC which shouldn't be running windows 10. At the moment im thinking of making a basic game, not meant to be released to the public but just a test for me. I am slowly working towards it but unity is pretty hard to me, Thinking of moving to unreal engine or something else idk. Thanks either way. 👍

This is what made me learn, but it only help you get to know the UI, I would go for the second

Video tutorials for beginner programming generally aren't the best as they encourage passive learning rather than active learning. 

You are better off getting a book like this, which is by the creator of C++. Make sure you do other questions outside of the book to keep your skills fresh.

I have to agree with @gloop. Videos are garbage as a learning resource for programming.  Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup is widely regarded as one of the best books/resources for learning modern C++. Even for experienced programmers it is still a good resource.

Another thing that I've been recently introduced to is Pearson Revel which is an online interactive textbook. It has all the material you need while having questions and projects to complete so its completely guided. Its compiler/interpreter system is very finicky but other than that it's a decent learning resource. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Just by watching videos wont be able to teach you that much.Some people can learn better by the book,some by the tutorials.

Watch enough to learn what is the language about,and some key points.After that  read the book.

Watch info how to get started with your own project,then try to do it.

If you watch some tutorial how to make some simple game etc. then watch the tutorial first and understand it,what does each line of code does,then second time watching do it along the tutorial,and third time try to do it yourself without watching the tutorial.

Friend of mine is really good programer(worked for many companys,even had contract with Samsung),and he told me,buy a book,and you will be working along the book for a long ass time since it needs a long time to learn c++.

One more vote for Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup. If you know C++ you pretty much know C too.

It's important that you don't just read it and that you don't copy paste the examples. You have to follow along and type the code yourself.

When i first learned C I used "The C Prorgramming Language - K&R", this is technically not a beginners book but I absolutely loved it.